Question
Asked 28th Jan, 2020

Addiction, Mental Health & The Struggle In between - Help Is Needed?

My question is simple -
Do you want to help someone ?
Do you want to help change someones life for the better ?
Do you want to have an impact on lowering the suicide rate?
What would you do for someone you love? Anything..
The struggle of addiction and mental health is more prominent today than ever before. With suicide & mental health rates increasing everyday and the lack of information & resources out there required to help tackle and deal with these things are limited.
Granted that there are services out there that do help and do work but are not always easily accessible or in some cases to late. The world is changing and it is becoming more prominent that suicide and mental health are real issues that are being overlooked in some cases where they should not of been.
Change is needed to a better quality of service, information and care that is currently being provided.
Please help us with our research to understand more from holistic overview,
help us to help those that are indeed struggling but are not getting the attention that is required.
Link below is to the study :-
Thank You

George Ernst
Grand View University
Help can only be given once the addict knows in the most internal sense that their lifestyle is not only hurting them, but also their entire social environment. Interventions are often without results - the addict must be willing to give up their vices and desires to pursue some form of spiritual solution. Programs with a 12-step format have the best chance at this. I know it, because I'm a recovering addict myself.

Popular answers (1)

Srini Vasan
University of New Mexico
I took the survey to help. A good piece of work!
I think addictions treatment should not just focus on the old model of abstinence and 12 steps. There are many newer techniques including acupuncture and holistic approaches which should be integrated into the treatment protocol. The old approach of "confront, confront..." does not work with every addict. Use of the "Stages for Change" model ( Prochaska and DiClemente) along with a full blown assessment of where the client is and their support system and beliefs is vital.

Stephen I. Ternyik
Techno-Logos (Educatis.CH: Sharing knowledge among professionals.
Good work; I did finish your survey.
Richard Kensinger
Mount Aloysius College
As a clinician and trainer I reinforce that the working therapeutic alliance is critical when delivering efficacious care. I also recommend at least 18 mos. of care continuity.
See attached.
Rich
Deleted profile
I Follow
Srini Vasan
University of New Mexico
31st Jan, 2020
Jake Li
University of Michigan
Took the survey, it was well put together. I use mindfulness along with Navarra and Gottman's work on couples therapy while in recovery to help support social networks that are ameliorative and supportive. I believe that there should be continued wrap-around services along with work on building strong social / environmental supports for continued sobriety.
George Ernst
Grand View University

Internet and smartphone addiction and related behaviors - Want to join this call for papers?
Question
  • Dejan StevanovicDejan Stevanovic
Psihologija (www.psihologijajournal.org.rs) is a scholarly open access, no fee, peer-reviewed journal published quarterly. It is currently referenced in the Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI).
As a journal mainly focusing on psychology, neuroscience and psychiatry, Psihologija calls for papers related to all aspects of Internet, digital media, smartphones and other technology use that could lead to potentially detrimental mental health effects. Original research and review articles about specific models and theories, definition, classification, assessment, epidemiology, co-morbidity and treatment options, focusing mainly on, although not limited to:
· Internet gaming
· Internet gambling
· Excessive social media/networks use
· Online dating, cyber-relationships/sex and pornography
· Excessive online information collection
· Cyberbullying
· Smartphones, tablets and other technology use.

The annual suicide rate in the town of Kumakogen (population 100,000), in Ehime Prefecture, is 67.7-very high in a country whose average suicide rate is 24.4, and in a prefecture with a rate of 27.1. Recognizing that it is important to reduce the suicide rate, we decided to initiate suicide prevention measures in 2007. We considered that cooperatio...
Suicide is a complex problem linked to genetic, environmental, psychological and community factors. For the Aboriginal population more specifically, loss of culture, history of traumatic events, individual, family and community factors may also play a role in suicidal behaviour. Of particular concern is the high rate of suicide among Canadian Abori...