Laboratory Coordinator/Lecturer in Biology
- Oberlin, United States
The Biology Department at Oberlin College invites applications for an Administrative and Professional Staff position in the College of Arts and Sciences to plan, coordinate and teach laboratory courses at the introductory levels. Initial appointment to this renewable, 10-month position (each year from August 15-June 15) will be for a term of 3 years, beginning in August 2023, and will carry the rank of Lecturer.
The successful candidate will plan and coordinate all laboratory sections of the 200-level Biology majors core courses. At present the department has two such courses: BIOL 200 (Genetics, Evolution, and Ecology) and BIOL 213 (Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry). Both courses are required of all Biology majors. In addition, the successful candidate will teach a total of four laboratory sections per year among the 200-level core courses. The Oberlin Department of Biology has just embarked on a multi-year program to modify the labs for BIOL 200 and 213 to incorporate greater emphasis on investigative course projects. The person hired into this lab coordinator position will play a significant role in helping the department to plan and execute this shift, and will receive a one-course teaching reduction in the first year of their appointment to aid in course redesign and planning.
Examples of Job Duties:
● Teach four sections from among the 200-level core courses each academic year in coordination with faculty in the department.
● Support faculty who are teaching concurrent sections of the 200-level core lab courses.
● Train faculty who are rotating into teaching the 200-level core lab courses.
● Implement protocols and analyses as necessary for the 200-level core lab courses.
● Hire, train, and supervise TAs for all sections of the 200-level core lab courses.
● Coordinate sample collection and supplies for the 200-level core lab courses.
● Maintain lab stocks, organisms, and prepare reagents/media as necessary for the 200-level core lab courses.
● Coordinate the set up for all the 200-level core lab courses sections (with help from TAs and appropriate support staff).
● Keep inventory, order supplies and equipment, and coordinate associated equipment maintenance and repair with department support staff, as it pertains to the 200-level core lab courses.
● Maintain and update any lab materials (e.g., manuals, assignments, quizzes) for the 200-level core lab courses.
● Maintain both internal and external collaborations as they relate to investigative lab projects in the 200-level core lab courses.
● Devote time and effort to continual 200-level core course and laboratory development with faculty input: frame and pilot the approach to new or iterative research questions.
● Serve as an academic advisor to Oberlin students, as appropriate and in line with advising numbers of other departmental faculty, and write student recommendation letters where appropriate.
An M.S. degree or higher is required (in hand or ABD). Candidates must demonstrate interest and potential excellence in undergraduate teaching.
Successful teaching experience at the college level is desirable. Experience with laboratory techniques in molecular biology, genetics, and/or biochemistry is desirable, as is experience with bioinformatics and/or computational techniques, including R. Oberlin College is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. The incumbent will bring understanding of or experience working with underrepresented and diverse academic populations. Oberlin is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the excellence and diversity of the academic community through their teaching and service. Oberlin recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran’s status, and/or other protected status as required by applicable law.
All interested candidates must apply to Oberlin's job site; https://jobs.oberlin.edu/postings/13663
Oberlin College & Conservatory is a four-year, highly selective liberal arts college that combines a top-ranked college of arts and sciences with a world-renowned conservatory of music. Combined, the two divisions enroll approximately 2,900 students. Founded in 1833, Oberlin College & Conservatory was the first college in America to make interracial education and coeducation central to its mission-traditions that live today within a commitment to positive social engagement. Located 35 miles southwest of Cleveland, Ohio, Oberlin College & Conservatory has earned a reputation of excellence based on the quality of its richly diverse student body, outstanding faculty, excellent facilities, and academic and technological resources. Learn more at: http://new.oberlin.edu/about/
- Protein Analysis
- Cell Biology
- Life Sciences
- Cell Biology Jobs
- Cell Biology Jobs in United States
- Evolutionary Biology Jobs
- Evolutionary Biology Jobs in United States
- Genetics Jobs
- Genetics Jobs in United States
- Molecular Biology Jobs
- Molecular Biology Jobs in United States
- Biochemistry Jobs
- Biochemistry Jobs in United States
- Chemistry Jobs
- Chemistry Jobs in United States
- Analytical Chemistry Jobs
- Analytical Chemistry Jobs in United States
- Medicine Jobs
- Medicine Jobs in United States
- Biophysics Jobs
- Biophysics Jobs in United States
- Biology Jobs
- Biology Jobs in United States
- Research Jobs in United States