Requisition Id 9898
Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) Particle Fuel Forms (PFF) Group in the Nuclear Fuel Development (NFD) Section within the Nuclear Energy and Fuel Cycle Division is seeking a particle fuel post-irradiation examination (PIE) specialist to join their research team. The PFF group is a global leader for tristructural isotropic (TRISO) coated particle fuel research for high temperature gas-cooled reactors and is focused on driving innovation in coated particle fuel technologies for emerging nuclear technologies. The PFF group supports activities related to both fabrication and post-irradiation examination of coated particle fuel and fuel forms. This position would directly support the Department of Energy Office of Nuclear Energy’s Advanced Gas Reactor Fuel Development and Qualification (AGR) Program’s PIE activities which include analysis of radionuclide retention after irradiation and high temperature testing, inspection of irradiated particle microstructure, and evaluation of overall TRISO particle fuel performance. The position would also engage in the application of modern characterization techniques (such as x-ray tomography, electron microscopy, and optical ellipsometry) to advance TRISO fuel qualification activities. The PIE specialist would be responsible for planning and coordinating PIE activities, analyzing data, and communicating results via program reports and open literature publications to meet sponsor deliverables and milestones, as well as steering future research activities. The selected individual will be encouraged to engage with staff within the PFF group, NFD section, and supporting ORNL organizations to foster a vibrant research atmosphere focused on successful mission execution and continued growth of capabilities and expertise for leading edge nuclear fuels research.
- Lead coated particle fuel research activities focusing on TRISO fuel PIE within the AGR program.
- Generate deliverables (journal publications, reports) to meet sponsor milestones and communicate research outcomes.
- Coordinate research activities and interface with hot cell and support organization staff external to the group to meet research objectives.
- A Ph.D. in one of the Physical Sciences, Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in a laboratory environment
- Experience with coated particle (TRISO) fuel research and development
- Experience with irradiated materials and work within a hot cell environment
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications
- Evidence of success in independently driven outcomes and through contributions to collaborative teams
- Demonstrated ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
- Physical Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Nuclear Physics
- Materials Physics Jobs
- Materials Physics Jobs in United States
- Geoscience Jobs
- Geoscience Jobs in United States
- Materials Chemistry Jobs
- Materials Chemistry Jobs in United States
- Chemistry Jobs
- Chemistry Jobs in United States
- Physics Jobs
- Physics Jobs in United States
- Programming Languages Jobs
- Programming Languages Jobs in United States
- Software Engineering Jobs
- Software Engineering Jobs in United States
- Mechanical Engineering Jobs
- Mechanical Engineering Jobs in United States
- Nuclear Physics Jobs
- Nuclear Physics Jobs in United States
- Optics Jobs
- Optics Jobs in United States
- Algorithms Jobs
- Algorithms Jobs in United States
- Research Jobs in United States