Requisition Id 9871
The ORNL Particle Fuel Forms (PFF) Group in the Nuclear Fuel Development (NFD) Section within the Nuclear Energy and Fuel Cycle Division is seeking a motivated individual to join their research team. This individual will specialize in supporting the characterization of coated particles, integral fuel forms, and other ceramic and metallic coatings as well as general research and laboratory operation activities. Their efforts will assist programmatic missions to progress coated particle technologies in the areas of power generation and other advanced technologies such as space nuclear propulsion.
The work is expected to primarily focus on supporting research in the Coated Particle Fuel Development Laboratory (CPFDL). The CPFDL houses a suite of characterization tools and instruments specific to fabrication and characterization of coated particle fuel.
The position responsibilities include supporting sample preparation, characterization, and laboratory operations. Examples of sample preparation activities include metallography techniques (mounting and polishing) and sorting and weighing of particles. Examples of characterization activities include particle shape and size analysis (shadow imaging, optical microscopy), and materials property analysis (density, anisotropy, microstructure, composition, etc.). The individual is expected to support coated particle fuel research activities by applying established procedures and following quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA) approaches to support coating development as directed by programmatic needs and the relevant principal investigators. The individual is expected to engage with and, after becoming established, provide guidance to students, postdoctoral staff, early career staff, laboratory technicians working in the CPFDL to support laboratory fabrication and characterization activities. Regular interactions with program management to plan and execute strategic objectives is necessary. The individual is expected to take responsibility over key laboratory operation protocols and maintain functionality of key instrumentation and equipment.
- Support sample preparation activities to facilitate characterization of materials
- Support fabrication and characterization activities in radiological materials laboratories dedicated for fuel fabrication of coated particle fuel technologies
- Generate and review data reports following NQA-1 and QC/QA protocols
- Operate and maintain functionality of fabrication and analysis capabilities in radiological laboratories
- Support laboratory operations by maintaining safety protocols and documentation
- Collaborate with team members in the areas of fabrication, property measurements, and other relevant areas to advance science-based understanding of nuclear fuels materials
- Perform work according to specific rules and requirements for QA, nuclear material control, radiological work, and general laboratory safety
- A.S. or B.S. in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field
- Experience with materials sample preparation (e.g. metallography), characterization, and property evaluation
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Capacity to effectively work within a team to support a common goal
- Ability to effectively support completion of programmatic milestone reports
- Experience in a research and development laboratory setting or other technical work environment
- Experience with data handling
- Experience managing resources in laboratory setting
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
- Computational Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering Jobs
- Manufacturing Engineering Jobs in United States
- Electrochemistry Jobs
- Electrochemistry Jobs in United States
- Chemical Engineering Jobs
- Chemical Engineering Jobs in United States
- Chemistry Jobs
- Chemistry Jobs in United States
- Computing in Mathematics, Natural Science, Engineering and Medicine Jobs
- Computing in Mathematics, Natural Science, Engineering and Medicine Jobs in United States
- Environmental Engineering Jobs
- Environmental Engineering Jobs in United States
- Mechanical Engineering Jobs
- Mechanical Engineering Jobs in United States
- Quality Assurance Engineering Jobs
- Quality Assurance Engineering Jobs in United States
- Medicine Jobs
- Medicine Jobs in United States
- Clinical Pharmacology Jobs
- Clinical Pharmacology Jobs in United States
- Clinical Trials Jobs
- Clinical Trials Jobs in United States
- Computational Physics Jobs
- Computational Physics Jobs in United States
- Materials Science Jobs
- Materials Science Jobs in United States
- Biology Jobs
- Biology Jobs in United States
- Research Jobs in United States