As the science and knowledge service of the Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle. The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/
The current vacancy is in the Disaster Risk Management Unit of the Directorate for Space, Security and Migration which provides scientific and technical support to EU policies addressing global security and crisis management.
Coastal flood risk assessment is crucial in mitigating and adapting to seal level rise and climate change driven extreme events. The JRC has been developing a coastal flood hazard and risk assessment workflow in order to support the evolution of the Copernicus Emergency Management Service and to provide support to the Emergency Response Coordination Center of DG ECHO. It is based on open- source software (https://github.com/ec-jrc/pyPoseidon ) and is supported by a community of researchers representing various organisations.
A position as numerical modeller that will contribute to the research and development of the coastal flood hazard and risk assessment in particular with a view of a potential integration of a coastal flood risk assessment component into the Copernicus Emergency Management Service.
S/he will contribute to the evolution of the current workflow including coastal inundation studies and exposure/impact evaluation. S/he will be part of a team that is responsible for policy support in the field of flood risk management as well as the management and further evolution of the Copernicus Emergency Management Service. The selected candidate will become part of an enthusiastic and very diverse team to:
- further improve the coastal flood component (e.g. improvements in the hydrodynamic model and workflow), address shortcomings, develop new approaches and contribute to open source and community supported development.
- work closely together with international research organisations and other relevant Copernicus services
- contribute to the scientific output through peer reviewed publications
INDICATIVE CONTRACT DURATION
36 months initial contract with possible renewals up to maximum 6 years.
Candidates for this contract agent post shall:
(i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST selection procedure;
(ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST
(iii) be registered in the Specialised Call for Researchers (used mainly by the JRC).
With a valid application number to one of the above, you may then apply for this specific vacancy at JRC through its vacancy page.
22/01/2023 23:59 Brussels time
The ideal candidate has a university degree (M.Sc. or comparable) in a relevant scientific area (atmospheric/geo/hydrodynamic/natural sciences, environmental engineering) together with a minimum of 3 years of research experience or a Ph.D in the relevant scientific area.
The following skills are essential:
- Advanced experience in numerical modelling
- Good programming skills
- Experience in handling and analysing large-scale spatially distributed dataset
The candidate should have a proven track record of peer reviewed scientific publications.
Any of the following skills are an advantage:
- Experience in programming in Python and code management
- Experience with hydrodynamic models such as SCHISM or Delft3D
- Experience in statistical analysis and time-series analysis
- Basic project management expertise
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) in English (minimum B2)
- Good interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new tasks
- Cultivates a workplace based on respect for other people and the environment.
- Embraces non-discriminatory practices and equality of opportunity. In case of equal merit, preference will be given to the gender in minority.
- Mathematical Modeling
- Manufacturing Engineering Jobs
- Manufacturing Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Rural Sociology Jobs
- Rural Sociology Jobs in Italy
- Remote Sensing Jobs
- Remote Sensing Jobs in Italy
- Computing in Mathematics, Natural Science, Engineering and Medicine Jobs
- Computing in Mathematics, Natural Science, Engineering and Medicine Jobs in Italy
- Information Science Jobs
- Information Science Jobs in Italy
- Information Systems (Business Informatics) Jobs
- Information Systems (Business Informatics) Jobs in Italy
- Development Economics Jobs
- Development Economics Jobs in Italy
- Economic Geography Jobs
- Economic Geography Jobs in Italy
- Architectural Engineering Jobs
- Architectural Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Civil Engineering Jobs
- Civil Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Control Systems Engineering Jobs
- Control Systems Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Industrial Engineering Jobs
- Industrial Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Safety Engineering Jobs
- Safety Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Structural Engineering Jobs
- Structural Engineering Jobs in Italy
- Geochemistry Jobs
- Geochemistry Jobs in Italy
- Geography Jobs
- Geography Jobs in Italy
- Geoinformatics (GIS) Jobs
- Geoinformatics (GIS) Jobs in Italy
- Geology Jobs
- Geology Jobs in Italy
- Hydrogeology Jobs
- Hydrogeology Jobs in Italy
- Oceanography Jobs
- Oceanography Jobs in Italy
- Applied Mathematics Jobs
- Applied Mathematics Jobs in Italy
- Geophysics Jobs
- Geophysics Jobs in Italy
- Comparative Politics Jobs
- Comparative Politics Jobs in Italy
- Foundations of Political Theory Jobs
- Foundations of Political Theory Jobs in Italy
- Public Policy Jobs
- Public Policy Jobs in Italy
- Research Jobs in Italy