Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Category: Data Sciences
Department: Computational Biology
Position type: Full time
Job number: 48941
The department of Computational Biology is seeking a highly motivated and creative Bioinformatics Portal Engineer to develop cutting edge web-based applications used for St. Jude’s groundbreaking Clinical Genomics program. The Bioinformatics Portal Engineer plays a key role in developing novel applications to empower scientists and clinicians at the forefront of genomic research and its clinical application to catastrophic childhood diseases.
This position requires working within a team of software and data engineers, writing and maintaining documentation relevant to the position’s scope of work, and assisting with the preparation and submission of manuscripts.
Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods. The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects.
This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
- Works in conjunction with Sr. Bioinformatics Portal Engineers to perform full-stack development of web applications managed by the Department of Computational Biology at St. Jude, including internal applications for both research and clinical genomics
- Works with an interdisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and physicians to improve clinical genomics applications, adding value to precision medicine at St. Jude
- Serves as a liaison to other departments producing data for or consuming data from Computational Biology
- Bachelor's degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field is required
- Master's degree or PHD is preferred
- Five (5) years of internet development experienced is required
- One year of internet development experience is acceptable with a Master'sdegree
- Zero years of internet development experience may be acceptable with a PhD
- Experience in Object Oriented Programming preferred.Experience in Database Design and Programming preferred
- Experience in Bioinformatics preferred
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for all employees, excluding those with an approved medical or religious
accommodation, as a condition of employment.St. Jude is an Equal Opportunity Employer
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.COVID-19 vaccine:
- Genomic Bioinformatics
- Bioinformatic Programming
- Computer Programming