Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University of Pennsylvania’s Department of Biology invites applicants for the full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Biology – Vertebrate Behavioral Biologist position to begin in August 2023.
West Chester University, a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, is a public, comprehensive institution committed to offering high-quality undergraduate education, selected post-baccalaureate and graduate programs, and a variety of educational and cultural resources for its students, alumni, and citizens of southeastern Pennsylvania. The University offers more than 100 graduate and undergraduate programs in the sciences and mathematics, business and public management, arts and humanities, health sciences, education and social work, music, and interdisciplinary studies. We are a community of educators dedicated to developing graduates who succeed personally and professionally and contribute to the common good.
The mission of the Department of Biology, part of the College of Sciences and Mathematics, is to provide a high-quality educational experience to both undergraduate and graduate students. This is achieved by maintaining small class sizes staffed by full-time faculty. Virtually all courses have a laboratory component facilitating participatory learning. The Department has well-equipped facilities for a vertebrate biologist, including a large collection of vertebrate specimens, data acquisition systems, oxygen analyzers, a necropsy facility, incubators, a 3-D scanner, 3-D printers, flow tanks, and a USDA approved animal facility that meets standards for NIH accreditation for the use of rats and mice. The University is home to the 126-acre Gordon Natural Area, a protected area containing grassland, forest, riparian, and wetland habitats, available for teaching and faculty research.
The faculty position involves teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses offered in-person. The ideal candidate will use innovative teaching skills and demonstrate attention to the learning and teaching needs of the department’s students. The faculty member will collaborate with other departmental faculty and staff to ensure the success of the College.
- Provide teaching and instructional learning
- Engage in scholarly activities such as research, presentations, and publications
- Serve the University and the community through participation in various committees
- Mentoring and advising students
- Other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Biology or related discipline (ABD may be considered. Must be completed before June 30, 2023.)
- Experience teaching undergraduate and/or graduate level courses
- Research experience in vertebrate animal behavioral biology or related discipline
- Experience developing curriculum in animal behavioral biology
- Experience teaching human anatomy & physiology labs
- Experience teaching general biology labs
- Experience mentoring or advising students
- Experience with advanced technologies (e.g., remote sensing, electronics, etc.)
- Experience writing and applying for grants and/or external funding
Apply online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wcupa/default.cfm. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Review of applications will begin in September 2022 and continue until the position has been filled.
Finalist must successfully complete an interview, teaching demonstration, and research presentation.
Required Documents for Consideration
To be considered as an applicant for this position, please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- List of three references with contact information (These referees will automatically be sent an email with instructions for uploading their letter of recommendation directly to the applicant tracking system.)
- Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts (official transcripts will be required at a later date)
- Research statement – Include research experience and agenda
- Teaching philosophy statement
- Diversity statement (See below)
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
West Chester University has joined EAB’s Moon Shot initiative for Equity in Higher education. This initiative is designed to support faculty, students, and staff who are typically excluded and therefore are underrepresented. As part of your application for a tenure-track faculty position, we request a Diversity Statement. This request highlights our department's commitment to promote diversity and inclusiveness and to cultivate a campus environment that welcomes all. This commitment reflects the Diversity Theme of West Chester University's Strategic Plan and supports initiatives of our Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (WCU Diversity Equity Inclusion). We expect that each applicant's statement will be unique, as informed by their own experiences and goals. Some topics you might address in a 1-2-page statement include the following: (1) How have you supported diversity and inclusion in your interactions with others in classroom and research environments? (2) What have you done to help students from diverse communities (such as underrepresented minorities, non-traditional, LGBTQ, veteran, rural, and/or first generation) succeed, including any programs for these students in which you have participated? (3) Describe your commitment to working toward achieving equity and enhancing diversity at WCU. How might you contribute to our current diversity initiatives, and do you have any other ideas to help promote equity on our campus?
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all preemployment criminal background checks.
Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty and staff advances West Chester University’s educational mission and strategic Plan for Excellence. West Chester University is an Affirmative Action – Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Behavioral Science
- Pedagogy & Education Research
- Structural Biology
- Structural Biology Jobs
- Structural Biology Jobs in United States
- Neuroscience Jobs
- Neuroscience Jobs in United States
- Biochemistry Jobs
- Biochemistry Jobs in United States
- Pedagogic Theory Jobs
- Pedagogic Theory Jobs in United States
- Teacher Education Jobs
- Teacher Education Jobs in United States
- Teaching Methods Jobs
- Teaching Methods Jobs in United States
- Biophysics Jobs
- Biophysics Jobs in United States
- Behavioural Science Jobs
- Behavioural Science Jobs in United States
- Clinical Psychology Jobs
- Clinical Psychology Jobs in United States
- Research Jobs in United States