Postdoctoral Researcher in Design of Regenerative Metropolitan Landscapes
Here is the opportunity you are looking for to transform your life and the lives of others.
Our university is part of the top 10 best universities in Latin America and the top 50 best private universities in the world, according to the QS World University Ranking. It is also considered the No. 1 university in Mexico and No. 4 in Latin America according to the Times Higher Education.
The School of Architecture, Arts and Design at the Monterrey Institute of Technology is seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher in Design of Regenerative Metropolitan
Landscapesto conduct research on landscape-based urbanization in a regenerative way, to develop concepts that keep metropolises within earth´s planetary boundaries.
Major components of this research will be urban ecology and green, urban food systems, water, and climate adaptation.
The position will be primarily located at the Monterrey Campus. The postdoctoral researcher may need to travel to other sites and campuses in Mexico, where you will work with Prof. Rob Roggema, Faculty of Excellence at the Monterrey Institute of technology.
The postdoctoral researcher will have an appointment of up to three years, subject to satisfactory annual reports submitted to the supervisor.
Learn more about us:
- https://www.tec.mx/es - Official website
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqaYcUNCKs – The Best of Tecnológico de Monterrey
- https://tec.mx/es/vision2030 -Strategic Plan 2030 - Vision 2030
The postdoctoral researcher will carry out innovative research on the way future cities are regeneratively planned and designed, which will result in the production of research outcomes and presentations at conferences and key stakeholders.
The core ambition is to develop La Ola Verde, which aims to design a green wave through metropolises. Based on a calculation of our climate impact the program for urban rewilding is defined and subsequently planned and designed. The program anticipates colleagues, fellow academics, and residents to participate and co-create this movement. The size, area, and type of new natural areas, such as urban forests, food forests, urban gardens, urban farms, street trees, roof-gardens, arid greenery, wetlands, and many more, are realized in large and small local projects to which everyone can contribute individually, as a family or community. This landscape-driven urbanization which will be visualized on regional maps.
The project is executed evidence-based and embedded in science, and has impact on the ground, by greening the city. Its objectives are embraced in several other projects, such as the Sound of the Land, Nature-driven Machine Learning and the Heritage Food of the Noreste, amongst others. The long-term impact is a greener city, that captures more water, is cooler, grows more food and is richer in biodiversity.
You will participate in external research collaborations and demonstrate scientific measures of impact in research.
The researcher will be based at the Monterrey Campus and will engage with other academics and contribute more broadly to the core activities of the school.
- Carry out research with limited supervision leading to publication of 2-3 articles/year in high impact peer-reviewed journals (Q1-Q2), as well as presentations at national and international conferences.
- Actively participate in research seminars and recognized conferences and disseminate research findings as opportunities arise.
- Assist with research activities and carry out research to meet research objectives, milestones, and reporting deadlines.
- Contribute to preparation or, when appropriate, lead preparation of research proposals for internal or external funding agencies.
- Prepare written reports on progress of research work, ensuring that research data presented in these reports are in a publication quality format.
- Promote and develop strategic partnerships with industry organizations.
- Interact with relevant professional and industry bodies and stakeholders to foster collaborative partnerships and demonstrate active exploration and engagement in wider research connections in the university.
- Actively participate in professional activities including consulting, workshops and executive education courses for external participants.
- Carry out administrative activities and obligations primarily related to research area.
- Assist in provision of leadership in the discipline and foster excellence in research.
- Extend knowledge of the discipline impacting on the field.
- Landscape mapping: water system, nature and ecology, elevation, soil, geology.
- Regional, metropolitan design, landscape urbanism.
- Local design, green, forest and nature projects, food projects.
- Construct the system of carbon calculation and required green spaces.
- Organize the engagement and communication process, including discussion with municipalities and stakeholders.
- Co-develop a website for the project.
- Co-teach in design studio(s) regenerative design.
This opportunity is for you if you have:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline from a highly reputed university related to Urbanism, Landscape Architecture, Urban design/planning, Landscape ecology or urban ecology/forestry.
- Demonstrate ability to conduct research with limited supervision in a related area and meet research objectives. This must be evidenced by a record of contributions in peer-reviewed journals (including Scopus h-index), book chapters, and conference presentations.
- Ability to carry out independent research with a commitment to interdisciplinary research.
- Experience working with minimal supervision and the ability to prioritize tasks to achieve project objectives within established timelines, demonstrating flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate ability to develop, manage, and complete properly designed research projects with limited supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to interact with relevant professional and industrial bodies and stakeholders to foster collaborative partnerships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills appropriate for scientific and public audiences, demonstrated by presenting research results at conferences, internal forums, and manuscript publications.
- Demonstrated high-level organizational skills and ability to maintain records, as well as demonstrate the ability to prioritize a variety of tasks, manage time effectively, and meet deadlines in a busy environment.
- A creative, original personality who loves to color outside the lines, likes to take initiative, and flourishes in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders and the ability to adapt information to different audiences in a diverse environment courteously and effectively.
- Excellent English proficiency (B2 level or 600 points on the TOEFL).
- Understanding of concepts such as regenerative design and culture, resilience city, permaculture, climate adaptation, as well as application of the planetary boundaries and donut economy concepts in design of the urban environment.
- Experience with digital design, visualization and programming skills (e.g. Arc/Q-GIS, Illustrator/Photoshop/Indesign, Python/Rhino).
Experience in supervising students or other researchers.
- A record of applying for and obtaining research grant funding.
- Experience in interacting with industry partners.
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborations with a variety of other researchers.
If you are willing to drive change and transform Mexico through education, this is the place you are looking for.
At Tecnológico de Monterrey, we act under the principle of equal opportunities. Therefore, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, ethnic origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, social status, health status, religious beliefs, political doctrine, or disability.
- Urban Planning
- Landscape Architecture
- Industrial Design