Wenceslaus Hollar, Ciuitatis Westmonasteriensis pars, 1647, etching, 15.2 x 28.6 cm. The "Parliament House" is on the left. Parliamentary Art Collection (WOA 845). Digital image courtesy of Palace of Westminster (All rights reserved).

Wenceslaus Hollar, Ciuitatis Westmonasteriensis pars, 1647, etching, 15.2 x 28.6 cm. The "Parliament House" is on the left. Parliamentary Art Collection (WOA 845). Digital image courtesy of Palace of Westminster (All rights reserved).

Source publication
Article
Full-text available
Introduction to a group of articles in this edition, on 'One Object', St Stephen's Chapel

Context in source publication

Context 1
... an extraordinary transformation, from the mid-sixteenth century, St Stephen's Chapel became the irst permanent meeting place for the House of Commons (Fig. 1). 3 This was the physical setting for the development of representative government in early modern Britain, through three centuries of debates and legislation, before it was swept away by ire in 1834. The current House of Commons owes much to it, both in layout and parliamentary practice. 4 There was also a suggestion, which was lent ...