Map of Uganda Showing Major Lakes, Rivers and Regions of the Country (2) .
... the existence of a vast number of lakes (about 27 in total), rivers and streams ( Figure 1 ), Uganda continues to face the issue of limited accessibility to potable water, par- ticularly in rural and poor urban communities. Uganda ' s surface water sources cover 15.4% of the total land area (236,040 km 2 ) and these provide domestic water supply to both urban and rural populations (3) . ...
- ... While estimates suggest that 71% of the urban popula- tion have some sort of access to potable water managed by the National Water and Sewerage Corporation, this is only about 14% of the total population. The other 86% of the Ugandan population depends on 'other improved' or 'unimproved' sources, which may include local surface water sources, hand-dug shallow wells or groundwater collection schemes (Figure 1; Nayebare, Wilson, Carpenter, Dziewulski, & Kannan, 2014;WHO/UNICEF, 2015). ...
Ad you may be interested in