ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 20 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior User Researcher (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Germany. Our headquarters are in Berlin and we support a hybrid home office/in person approach to work.
Our mission at ResearchGate
The world wide web was created by scientists to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Here at ResearchGate, we believe we can help researchers be more productive in their daily work. We’re looking for a committed researcher to help us with our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Objective of the Role
Join us to take ownership for strategic user research projects and facilitate the exchange of learning and user and customer insight across teams at ResearchGate. As a senior researcher at ResearchGate, you will work with product managers, designers, and product analysts to uncover, articulate, and act on user needs. You will use your knowledge of the research process to help streamline our processes and workflows for user research, and improve our use of methods and overall approach to research. Every step along the way, you will make an impact for 20+ million scientists around the world.
- Plan, design and run a wide set of user and customer research activities that help to shape our strategy and product development (e.g., user interviews, usability studies, surveys, expert reviews, contextual field studies)
- Be an influential partner to leadership, product and design
- Work closely with product teams to understand goals and needs for research, discuss limitations, identify suitable methodologies and get buy-ins
- Communicate research insights to help product teams and the broader organization develop a deep understanding of users and customer needs
- Create and utilize actional artifacts that help translate research insights into strategic and product decisions (e.g., user/customer personas and journeys, jobs to be done, stakeholder maps, service blueprints, etc.)
- Support our user research team in scaling qualitative user research by helping to improve the research operations (processes and tools) and coach stakeholders in running user research activities
- Design and facilitate interdisciplinary workshops that help teams understand research insights, identify opportunities, define and prioritize their product vision, ideate solutions, etc
- Collaborate with the data analytics and product marketing to foster interdisciplinary research insights
- Strong strategic and product thinking
- Experience of working with multidisciplinary teams and senior stakeholders throughout the research and development process
- 4+ years’ work experience in a qualitative user research role in a digital product context
- Plus: Experience working in a B2B context, with a good understanding of the complexity of doing user research with customers
- Strong knowledge of a wide number of user research methods (e.g., user interviews, concept evaluation, usability studies, surveys, field studies, etc.)
- Experience in creating and applying reference artifacts that communicate user research insights (e.g., user/customer profiles and journeys, jobs to be done, stakeholder maps, service blueprints, etc.)
- Experience with research operations or setting up / improving processes to help other product teams do generative user research more effectively
- Strong collaborator, with experience in facilitating workshops with stakeholders including designers, researchers, product leads and engineers
- Very strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- Fluent in english for both written and oral communication
- You consider user research as a key constituent of data-informed decision making and enjoy contributing to an agile product discovery process
- You are outcome-oriented, comfortable working as a facilitator in a position with various stakeholders from different backgrounds (Analytics, Product Management, Design, Engineering) and are proficient in translating their requirements into actionable insights
- You are a strong team player and know that results come from great people working together around meaningful ideas
- You understand our mission and want to help achieve it—you want to help scientists to be more productive and improve scientific collaboration
We realize that this list of requirements can seem daunting and that you may hesitate to apply if you can’t check every single box. Maybe you’re unconfident or feel imposter syndrome creeping in — we get it, and we also know that some groups typically struggle with this more than others. Please apply anyway. We want to find the right person, and that person could be you.
You'll be working in a dynamic company culture with the chance to individually shape your professional development and growth. Enjoy an energetic and international team who are passionate about changing science for the better.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated: you'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with.
Our headquarters are located at the heart of Berlin but we are a digital first organization and support mobile and flexible working.