ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 15 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior Legal Counsel
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers.
Not a scientist or researcher? Never heard of us? That’s okay.
Accelerating science is what drives us – we've built a platform that gives the world's scientists the tools and services they need to connect, collaborate, and advance their research. Over 15 million members from 193 countries use ResearchGate to share, discover, and discuss research. Our investors include Bill Gates, Benchmark Capital, Founders Fund, Tenaya Capital, Goldman Sachs, Wellcome Trust and Four Rivers Group.
We are a global company, with clients, users and colleagues from all corners of the world. Our team of 175 people is located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world - a place where everyone feels welcome. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
ResearchGate is a fast-growing and fast-moving company which will give you the opportunity to work on legal aspects at the cutting edge of technology and business. Our exciting new products create legal challenges that we must assess and solve.
In this senior role you will work closely with our General Counsel on diverse legal matters, but focus particularly on Global Privacy and other Compliance topics. The position will also require you to work in many other areas of the law, including:
· Contract support for sales operations
· Product analysis and advice
· Customer support on legal escalations
· Support of intellectual property compliance program
· Litigation support
· Strong academic credentials
· German legal certification, including Volljuristen, Wirtschaftsjuristen or a different track following the first state exam
· Native level German language skills, and high proficiency in English
· 6+ years of post-qualification experience gained in-house or in private practice (some in-house experience preferred)
· Strong knowledge of Privacy Law and Compliance Management, Commercial Law, and IT/IP Law
· Familiarity with and interest in web technology, advertising technology and digital products
· Ability to adapt quickly to new areas of law, and research and solve problems in unknown areas
· Cross-border and litigation experience would be a plus
· Proactivity and ability to get hands-on to support the team’s work and mentor other assistant counsels