ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 15 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior Data Engineer - Streaming and Services (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Join our team to take the web back to its roots and achieve that original mission.
We’re a passionate team of pragmatic optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on building great products that change the way scientists communicate for the better.
We love what we do. We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
As part of ResearchGate’s data engineering teams, you are working at the core of our data pipelines and services. These are not only crucial for our Analytics and Business departments to make the right decisions but also enable our product teams to craft the data-driven product features that help scientists all over the world.
- Have responsibility for the services (Java) and infrastructure (Kafka, Hbase) that form the foundation of our core product features, from delivering metrics about user’s scientific impact to serving full-texts for scientific publications
- Own a part of the platform that serves more than one billion HTTP requests and handles more than three billion events every day, making sure that our systems run fast and reliably
- Build fault-tolerant, self-healing, adaptive, and highly accurate data computational pipelines
- Design and implement big data jobs using technologies like Apache Flink and Apache Hive to access our petabyte-scale data lake
- Shape the vision and future roadmaps for the components owned by your team working closely together with product and other stakeholders
- Provide technical leadership, influence, and partner with fellow engineers to architect, design and build infrastructure that withstands scale and availability while reducing operational overhead
- Experience designing and implementing data pipelines
- Experience with big data technologies (MapReduce, Flink, Hive) operating at petabyte scale
- Know-how of design and operational work of robust distributed systems
- Knowledge of Java is a must, Python is a plus
- Participation in developing and maintaining large-scale REST based services
You'll be working in a team-based environment where code is written, tested and shipped continuously. Our engineering team is passionate about building maintainable, scalable web applications that are constantly optimized to meet the needs of our users - 15+ million researchers worldwide.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with, so you can quickly find the role that suits you best and start making an impact.
We’re located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome. Work to change the world of science and have a good time while you’re at it: we offer free, healthy lunches and many fun events.