ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 20 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior Data Engineer (Data Platform) (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Germany. Our headquarters are in Berlin and we support a hybrid remote/in person approach to work.
Our Data Platform Engineering team is crucial to our success in working with data. You help us maintain, shape and enhance our data infrastructure to enable innovation across all data functions. By keeping data flowing through our pipelines, you ensure we can make data-informed decisions. Most importantly, you will make an impact for 20+ million scientists around the world, who themselves have an impact on 8 billion peoples’ lives via their research.
- Engineer efficient, adaptable and scalable data architectures to make building and maintaining big data applications easy and enjoyable for others.
- Work with key big data technologies including Hadoop, Flink, and Kafka and help to migrate them into Cloud.
- Reimplement data ingestion to work with third-party tooling like Debezium and Kafka Connect plugins.
- Take ownership for continuous maintenance and improvement of components of our data platform.
- Act as a technical leader to drive the evolution of our data platform in collaboration with backend engineering, data science and analytics teams.
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Platform Engineer or Data Engineer.
- Advanced knowledge in Python and/or Java (5+ years of experience).
- Solid experience with one of cloud providers (GCP or AWS).
- Understanding of DevOps: running applications in Kubernetes, Infrastructure as Code concept (terraform), cloud security principles.
- Experience with big data technologies (Hadoop, Flink) operating at petabyte scale.
Life at ResearchGate
You'll be working in an open and empowered company culture, with the chance to individually shape your professional development and growth. Enjoy being a part of an energetic team that’s passionate about changing science for the better. We’re a team of optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all. Enjoy a flexible working environment that adapts to your life circumstances, a generous 30 full days of vacation for you to unwind and days focused for your professional development to further grow your career along with free access to a platform to support your mental wellbeing. We support a remote work approach by enabling our team to work across borders (up to 120 days a year) by partnering with WorkFlex. Most of us work from the comfort of our homes, but our office located in the heart of Berlin is still open for you as an opportunity to change scenery and meet others. We occasionally come together for team summits, workshops, and in-person meetings, but fully embrace a remote-first approach to work.
ResearchGate is an equal opportunity employer
We encourage people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply with us and help us change the world of science. We commit to impartial and inclusive hiring processes, and therefore ask you to please refrain from adding a picture and your age to your application form or CV. Our hiring decisions are made based on your skills and qualifications, regardless of your age, gender, origin or race/ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, disability status, religion, or any other (perceived) personal characteristics. We are excited to receive your application.
ResearchGate Intro and Mission
ResearchGate is the largest professional network for scientists and researchers. We've built a platform that helps the world's scientists and researchers to connect, collaborate, and advance their research to drive progress towards a better world.Over 25 million members from 193+ countries use ResearchGate to share, discover, and discuss research.