ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 15 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
General Manager/Business Unit Lead (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
Reporting to the Director of Product, the General Manager (Scientific Talent) is responsible for the current and long-term profitable growth of our Scientific Talent Business Unit, by building a high-performance organization that creates and delivers tremendous value for our customers while also continuing to grow value for researchers and science at large. This role is ultimately accountable for ensuring we create more value than we extract.
Holding P&L responsibility for the Business Unit, the General Manager ensures that the product engages users, contributes to overall growth of the RG user base, and supports the overall RG vision for connecting the world of science. They act as a driver of predictable and sustainable revenue growth in a way that fits with the core mission and values of ResearchGate, and they possess a deep understanding of the business-model driving revenue-growth and identifying and executing against opportunities for step-change expansion.
In partnership with Sales and Product, the GM ensures that the Product strategy and Sales strategy fuel each other. They are directly responsible for managing and scaling a highly effective organization across all the disciplines that go into building and selling products (including product, engineering, sales and marketing).
As the direct or indirect manager of a team of c. 25 people, the successful candidate will strategically attract, develop and retain top talent, and manage all aspects of direction-setting and planning, in line with company goals. They will drive strategic planning in a collaborative way, balancing top-down and bottom-up planning benefits.
The individual will be tasked with continuous improvement of teams, processes and communication in order to empower the Business Unit members and drive results within the context of the company goals. This will include effective prioritization and execution to ensure the Business Unit is focused, lean and effective.
Relationship building is key in this position, with the individual working to build and nurture senior level relationships with customers and other key stakeholders to complement the work done by the front-line sales team. The role also has responsibility for leading strategic discussions with key customers and stakeholders, whilst simultaneously sourcing new, high value business development opportunities.
The successful candidate will occupy a position of great impact for our business, and be a key owner and driver of the RG company cultural values. You will be a role-model of the highest standard, continually inspiring your team with a well-articulated vision and a clear understanding of the “why” behind their work.
- At least 7 years of experience in a leadership role in a Digital Product Company, preferably in a product leadership role.
- At least 3 years of experience in a GM-type role in a Digital Product Company.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver against ambitious targets, consistently over time.
- Strong track record of effectively leading and managing multiple operating functions.
- Deep experience with digital product commercialization strategy including go-to-market, particularly in early-stage companies.
- Strong experience in leading strategic process and alignment, in a way that builds real buy-in from a large audience to ensure execution follows strategic alignment
- Significant people management and development experience with successful track record of leading teams
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically with respect to talent acquisition, including gaining a deep understanding of competencies both present and lacking, and planning and executing to meet required needs.
- Strong financial, quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong experience in leading an agenda within a senior leadership team (including ability to surface issues and misalignments and resolve conflicts constructively).
- A people-first leader who is humble, smart and driven
- Ability to balance optimism with pragmatism.
- Goal-oriented, organized, and proactive team player who is self-motivated and self-directed.
- Radical about providing value to customers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with an aptitude for building relationships with stakeholders of all organizational levels internally and externally.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Active listener and confident presenter.