ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 15 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Design Manager (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
The web was created by scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Here at ResearchGate, we’re looking for a committed design manager to join our team and help us take the web back to its original mission.
We’re a team of passionate optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
We love what we do. We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
• Design that matters. At ResearchGate your input can help over 15 million scientists and researchers solve global challenges. Whether studying the first moments of our universe, developing innovative cancer treatments or tackling global warming, our users are making a real difference.
• Design at scale. We developed a cutting edge design system 3 years ago, which has allowed us to spend the last couple of years working on custom sketch plugins, handover tools and building up a strong design tooling department for you to work with.
• Data-driven design. Data is integral to everything we do at ResearchGate. From our outset, we have depended on tests and experiments to guide us. We don’t need to argue about the best solution, you can find it using advanced variant testing and data-driven insights.
• Design management. To support the UX team as their manager, you master planning and prioritization. By enabling your team, you shape strategies and processes that set ResearchGate up for success. You ensure your team works seamlessly with Product Management, User Research, Analytics and Engineering.
• Team development. Through continuous care, feedback and empowerment, we shape opportunities and career paths for each one of our team members. You ensure that every designer is focusing on the right challenges and growing their competency with your guidance and input. Based on the needs if the company and skill-sets within the team, you actively recruit and fine-tune the hiring process for success.
• Open communication. Foster a culture of transparency, inclusiveness, positivity and feedback within the UX team. You create visibility for the team's achievements and impact on the wider company and senior management.
• Design culture. You actively contribute to and promote ResearchGate's design vision and culture. Through team activities, public talks and articles, you connect the team with the great design community.
To be successful in the role of a Design Manager at ResearchGate folks will need to have:
• 4+ years of experience designing human-centered products, applications or services
• Experience managing and developing teams
• Experience communicating with cross-functional teams
• Experience in product strategy and vision
• Excellent written and verbal communication in English
• Experience working with agile methodologies and processes
• Experience using data to inform their design process
What success means to us:
• In 3 months you'll be able to lead key initiatives within ResearchGate's UX Department and take over team organization and communication responsibilities
• In 6 months you'll have full ownership over managing the UX team. You will be driving the career development of each one of the team members. You will actively engage with other functions (Engineering, Analytics, Product Management, etc.) to fine-tune how UX integrated with the wider organization
• In 1 year you’ll help drive the UX vision forward. Through your active participation in shaping ResearchGate's product strategy, you'll be at the center of innovation in science.
The UX Organisation brings together specialists in Design, Engineering, Copywriting, and Research who share a strong belief in the positive impact that ResearchGate’s 15 million users can have worldwide. In order to help our users connect with the people, research, and resources they need to advance their work, we strive to perfect the craft of collaborative, user-centric problem-solving.
• We work hard to create an environment of respect and mutual support that goes through everything from our focus on your development through to how we give feedback to each other.
• We understand that the capacity to innovate comes from our understanding of design thinking as a means to solve problems. Together, we’re constantly improving by refining our methods and processes.
• We believe in optimism and pragmatism. At ResearchGate, we share a hopeful, positive outlook on the future and the world around us. This attitude gives us the resilience to support each other in tackling some of the biggest problems in science.
• We see UX as a continuous process that is about learning from our users and each other. We believe true innovation is not achieved by individual designers or individual ideas but created by diverse teams and specialists from different fields working side by side.
ResearchGate was founded in 2008 by three friends who believed it was possible to connect all of the world’s scientists.
We started out with just a handful of members. By 2011, one million ResearchGate members discussed their research questions and shared advice in the then newly launched forums.
By 2015, four complete rounds of financing had fueled ResearchGate’s growth and investors included Benchmark Capital, Founders Fund, Bill Gates, Tenaya Capital, Goldman Sachs,Wellcome Trust, and Four Rivers Group.
Today, 15 million scientists connect on the network, collaborate, and share their research. They report on their research as it happens and get feedback to make progress faster. They post 500 questions and give 2000 answers daily. They find jobs that fit their interests and research profiles. They connect to universities and companies through advertising solutions.
We’re now closer than ever to fulfilling our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with, so we can quickly find the role that suits you best and lets you start making an impact straight away.
We're located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome.