ResearchGate Q&A lets scientists and researchers exchange questions and answers relating to their research expertise, including areas such as techniques and methodologies.
Browse by research topic to find out what others in your field are discussing.
- 1Which is the most efficient protocol for processing histologic samples of xenogenic bone block(EquineEspongeous)for decalcified histological analysis?
EDTA takes far way too long and Nitric acid in higher concentrations than 5% can damage the samples. Thanks in advance. Best regards.
Hi Alberto Ortiz-Vigón
As you mentioned, EDTA decalcification is too long but in my experience is best.0.1 M
EDTA for 1 week -10 days had satisfying results.
- NewDoes any of you have experience with scratch assay in Caco-2 cells?
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to do the scratch, because patches of cells come out and then I don't have a perfect line for the assay. I use a p200 tip and washed with PBS after the scratch and before treating the cells with my drug test. Any suggestions?Following
- 2How to tale methanolic extraction of chlorella?I need a protocol to do this one.
I have done itFollowing
- 6I want to design a web-based expert system for fault diagnosis, which expert system developing tool would you advice me to use?
I need the system to have backward chaining, Rete algorithm, GUI (for end-users), and be able to assign probabilities to each rule.
The easier it is to enter the rules, the better.
Your help would be highly appreciated!
Hi, SPIN language also provides an alternative (http://spinrdf.org/). This works over SPARQL working directly over the ontology. The IDE includes definition of templates, code completion and inference explanations. However, a debugger tool is not available.Following
- 6For Inflammatory Bowel Disease study which passage of CaCo-2 and how many days grown cells should be use as IBD model?
I want to know that which passage of CaCO-2 can i use as IBD model and method for its differentiation?
Does any of you have experience with scratch assay in Caco-2 cells? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to do the scratch, because patches of cells come out and then I don't have a perfect line for the assay. Any suggestions?Following
- 8Can you propose single predominant soil property influencing the crop performance ?
Considering the heterogeneous nature of soil , a wide range of soil properties , often inter-related with each other, influence the performance of different crops . These soil properties comprise of ; physical , chemical , biological and genetical in nature . In this background , i submit my following questions to my learned colleagues to express their candid opinions :
* How does soil genetical properties ( Related to soil geology ) influence crop performance ?
* Is there specific synergy between biological properties and crop performance ?
* Which soil properties out of physical , chemical , biological and genetical in nature influence the crop performance the most ?
* If so , let us propose single most important soil property to dictate the crop performance by and large?
Very nice responses . Friends let us have such a soil property which has strong cascading effect on other imortant soil properties that will limit the optimum production. i say, organic matter content of the soil, whose effect will percoate deep to whole of physical , chemical and biological properties of the soil in a consequential manner, including the mitigative effects on soil ph, in case it higher or lower for a given crop.Following
- 9What is the difference between the aqueous extract method and fraction extraction method?
Is there is any maximum difference between these two extracts or difference may occur in component extraction.
Do you mean extraction with water and successive fraction of the aqueous extract?
- 6What is the correct terminology for Matricaria recutita grown in different regions?
In the case of Matricaria recutita L. grown in the different regions of Isfahan, Shiraz, and Ahvaz what is the correct term for them? Ecotype, genotype or chemotype?
I am working on the effects of salinity on their chemical compositions, and I need to use the correct terminology for them.
Dear Dr. Collazo-Ortega
Thank you for the website you introduced to me; however, they are from Iran and are not listed there.
I don't know how to check them in the herbarium, and I don't have any sample now! Thank you for all responses.Following
- NewProcedure of skeletal muscle fiber bundles mechanical separation(respirometry,Oroboros). Tips and tricks?
Has anyone a procedure of skeletal muscle fiber bundles mechanical separation recorded (respirometry,Oroboros)? I am looking for tips and tricks on that (separation techniques and final separated form). I cannot get a response after adding ADP during the protocol. It probably means that I damage the fibers during the separation process or I do not separate them enough to get them permeabilized. Anyone?
- 1Could anyone guide me on how to implement booths multiplier using wallace tree multipliers?
i am stuck on how to make a booth multiplier using wallace tree multiplier
What is precisely what you need to know ?.
- You need to boot code one of the operands
- You need to combine via MUX-es outputting -2,-1,0,1,2 x the other signal
- You need to sum up all the terms produced such with a Wallace tree structure.
Typically, if you want to do all this, and dont have access to expensive synthesis tools, you need to write a C-program that synthesizes the multiplier, ie it calculates all these steps.
Note that the boot-step is 2 stages:
- The actual boot part sums to 2 operand outputs X[N:0] and Y[N:0].
- You need a final fast carry adder (that you also can synthesize with a C-program) that does the final addition.
Tell me what is not clear, so I can provide additional detail.
- 74Are there authentic published work confidently pinpointing the sole anthropogenic factors contributing to Climate Change?
Combined natural and anthropogenic factors (geologically recent phenomenon) govern Climate Change. It is, therefore, of paramount importance to discretely recognize the role of humans in Climate Change and to plan efficient strategy to mitigate it.
I repeat you do not read what responders write and now your only reaction is on an irrelevant typo of mine?!
Stick to what: weather is not climate was my entryFollowing
- 4What medications can be suddenly withdrawn after prolonged treatment?
Can you specify any medications that have little, if any withdrawal syndromes? What about these drugs: Salbutamol, Acetazolamide, Thiazide diuretics?
Thanks Kevin for your answer. Yes you are correct. Exactly antibiotics, since they are either given for a limited schedule (short course), or over an extended period i.e., 5 days, 7 days,1- 3 months etc. I need to know what long term medications other than antibiotics (i am asking about general medications) that have minimal withdrawal effects.
- 8Can anyone assist with Fleiss' kappa values comparison?
I'm looking for some statistical test for comparing Fleiss' kappa values. For example, suppose that I have the following kappa values:
1. k1 = 0.6 with standard error SE1= 0.1
2. k2 = 0.9 with standard error SE2= 0.1
How to know if these kappa values are significantly different? Confidence intervals of +/- 1.96*SE are overlapping, but this is not sufficient to extract conclusions about statistical differences (see for example this link: http://www.cscu.cornell.edu/news/statnews/stnews73.pdf)
Can anybody help please?
Thanks in advance!
Weyts, you may use a CI based on the normal distribution if the sample are large enough...Following
- 3Has anyone been able to use a Nikon DS-Fi1 U2 microscope camera with non-Nikon software?
My lab has a Nikon DS-Fi1 camera with a U2 controller. We have the free NIS-Elements F software but we really need some of the capabilities of NIS Elements BR, such as movie making, but the $3000 price tag for NIS Elements BR is way out of our budget. Has anyone got this hardware to work with any cheaper software?
Thank you both for the suggestions, I will try these out.Following
- 4What is the best percentage and duration of mixing for polymer / bitumen and bituminous concrete ?Much thanks.
The type of polymer? if the polymer and asphalt type is not given. the content is an unkonow parameter.Following
- 1What are the various ways to store and retrieve survey data for research work?
It is required to know the ways by which data can be organized to ease of further retrieval and analysis.
If using SPSS, save your data as SPSS data file. Store them either on a server (diiferent from your own computer) or in a cloud.Following
- 4What statistical test should I use to compare total fish catch?
I am looking for a statistical test to compare the amount of fish catch between 2 rivers.
River 1 caught a total of 200 fish
River 2 caught a total of 15 fish
Is there a test that will show if there is a statistical difference of total fish caught between river 1 (200) and river 2 (15)? My thought is to use a chi-squared test. Does this sound correct?
I think the problem needs a more detailed explanation before deciding on what test to use. While choosing between a parametric (t-test, ANOVA) or a nonparametric test (Mann-Whitney, Wilcoxon, Kruskal-Wallis) dependes on previous knowledge of the probability distribution of the population, the framing of the problem is not clear to take a decision. As you mentioned, more samples would be needed to make statistical comparisons, but this is not what the original question states.
To sum up, there is not enough information to provide an appropriate answer.
(Unless it is a matter of just comparing two single numbers, which does not require a statistical test.)Following
- 2Who has experience in recycling of asphalt (the way of hot)?How to extract the binder content without changing the chemical composition of this binder?
Selected rejuvenator maybe a method to recycling of asphalt in hot asphalt mix.Following
- NewHeat capacity values from graph?
How to calculate the heat capacity value from DSC graph (i.e. J/kG- K versus temperature (K)....?Following
- 1Can any one provide me a protocol for preparation of liposome by reversephase evaporisation method?
provide a protocol by which i can entrap methotraxate drug into that
you can see the attached linksFollowing
- 2What would be a good positive control for proteins associated with polyribosomes in Drosophila?
I am working on Drosophila melanogaster and would like to know what would be a simple/easy protein that is known to associate with polysomes. The point of my experiment is to do polysome analysis, collect fractions and investigate which pool of fractions my protein of interest is associated with using western blotting. I am looking for a positive control - i.e. a protein which is known to associate only with 80S ribosomes and polyribosomes. I don't have antibodies for any large-subunit ribosomal proteins and so would like to look at other available alternatives.
Thanks Chi Zhang. However, I was looking for something which is not an RPL protein.Following
- NewHow to convert an DFT calculated ORCA output file to .wfn file?
I want to analyse QTAIM of metal complexes, for AIM analysis using multiwfn and other programmes for topological analysis of HOMO-LUMO, Density and fukai function analysis.Following
- 2Should interface design specifications be considered in the development of a mobile application for entertainment use while driving?
Que especificações de desenho de interface deverão ser consideradas no desenvolvimento de uma aplicação móvel para entretenimento, utilizada durante a condução?
do you mean a specification of the user interface which describes in detail how the interface shall look like and how the app shall behave? You may need such a document for the purpose of protecting your project legally. Any activity the driver does in parallel to driving diverts attention and this is an extremely delicate issue. In Germany, for example, drivers are not supposed to use their phones without a headset. And studies have shown that it is still more dangerous to talk over the phone than it is talking to a passenger. So, if accidents happen while people are using your app (and it will happen) someone may want to blame your app. You can protect against this. Because it is such a delicate issue there are very strict guidelines to make sure that no device in the vehicle that impairs the drivers capacity for driving safely.
In order to make sure that your app is wihtin these guidelines you have to test against those. For the initial release of a product such a test may be enough. But when you deliver even the tiniest update you don't want to test everything again. Now the specification comes into play. Because it helps to point out what changes were actually made and which aspects of driving behaviour are not affected by those changes. Without a specification you lack the necessary documentation to prove the changes and to make such a determination. You have to make sure that every requirement from the guidelines can be traced from your requirements documentation down to the final product.
In times of agile development it seems outdated to have lengthy specifications. In legally highly regulated environments there are just special requirements to consider. It may - of course - be possible to make compromises and to get a streamlined specification documentation, but you cannot get entirely rid of it.
Hope this helps,
PS. given Ahmeds response I am not entirely sure that this is what you wanted to know.Following
- 4Could somebody recommend me thermal data loggers for body core monitoring?
I am interested in to obtain the body core temperature of medium-sized birds, but I want to obtain the data in real time, not after to extract the data logger from the bird, for example using radio signal to my PC.
In the Netherlands we have a more or less private supplier, who can make everything you wish. Please check his website: http://madebytheo.nl/contact.html
I presume Holohil is also very nice, but we have always used 'madebytheo'-transmitters and had always wonderful data.
- 15In stratified random sampling, can the researchers based selection of strata on equal number of the strata not proportion?
What are the distinctions between stratified random sampling and cluster sampling? Is the difference in the number of subgroups? Is it possible to have equal strata in stratified random sampling?
In my research, i have selected my participants from two universities, the selection of universities have been on convenient sampling, though almost equal number of subgroups(EFL undergraduates, EFL post graduates, non-EFL undergraduates and non-EFL post graduates) from the two universities were randomly selected. Is this cluster sampling or stratified random sampling?
Yes, it could be taken the equal assignation nh = n/L, being L the number of strata. The proportional assignation, nh = nNh/N (h = 1, 2, ..., L), gives a better performance than simple random sampling with replacement of the same total sample size n. If Nh = N/L = constant, both sampling assignations are the same.Following
- NewHow can solve this error in Gamess "illegal extended basis function requested" ?
How can solve this error in Gamess "illegal extended basis function requested" ?Following
- 1How can I reconstruct a spect simulation output using STIR?
I simulated a SPECT imaging system using GATEv7.1 and want to reconstruct the output using iterative methods from STIRv3 package. I have the interfile output and saw the results in Imagej without problem, but i want to study the advanced reconstruction methods.
any help is appreciated
I think with MRIcro software or MATLAB (image processing)you can do advanced reconstruction.Following
- 5What minimal concentration of RNA may be successfully used for TaqMan Array MicroRNA cards in reality?
I have been wondering what minimal amount of RNA may be successfully used for TaqMan Array MicroRNA cards as the manufacturer recommends 350 – 1000 ng to be used without pre-amplification, however, in low-concentration samples this is not often available. Thank you for your suggestions.
search for applied biosystem part number 4384556 for a quick reference of how to make your own preamplification pool for the miRNAs of interest.Following
- 3Can anyone give me more advice and maybe a working protocol for production and finally purification of recombinant proteins in a mammalin cell system?
I am very happy about any recommendation concerning cell line (Hek293 or rather CHO, etc.), types of transfection (CaPi, Lipofectamine or maybe even lentiviral), good vectors etc.
I need to obtain at least some amount for using it, and it has to be in a mammalian system unfortunately. Thanks for any help!
Do you have experience with MAC-T cell? We are trying transfect them using Life´s protocol, but we are not getting good results. Thank in advance for any help, AlyFollowing