ResearchGate Q&A lets scientists and researchers exchange questions and answers relating to their research expertise, including areas such as techniques and methodologies.
Browse by research topic to find out what others in your field are discussing.
- Can anyone please help to find out how we can calculate the cloning efficiency (CE) of Petri dishes instead of plates for HPRT Mutation assay?
Please Note: To calculate the cloning efficiency (CE) of plates I follow the formula below:
CE= (In number of negative wells/total wells scored)/ number of cells plated per well)
Calculate of Mutation Frequency (MF)
I think so. I did this equation
- Can anyone tell me suitable software for generating surface (001, 110 etc.) structure for dft calculations ?
I want to do surface calculations using VASP software. Is there any software for generating POSCAR structure file for surfaces.Following
- Why to concentrate the Viruses for downstream studies?
Hi, I am working on Neural Progenitor Stem Cells, and presently making a CRISPR lentivirus for my NPCs studies. I have gone though a lot of protocols for the lentivirus preparation, and noticed that few protocols suggest to collect the supernatant and concentrate the virus while others just suggest to do downstream studies with the collected supernatant only. My concern is that why should I concentrate the virus, or in other words why some studies are done with concentration of viruses. Please suggest if you are familiar with this issue.
Thanks in Advance.
- How to map the Affymetrix probe IDS to HGNC gene symbol?
I have around 54K probe IDs from the platform HGU95AV2 of the Affymetrix. I tried bioMart package in R, but got less 1% of the probe IDs mapped. Is there any alternate to specifically map to the HGNC symbols?
You can use bioconductor annotation package "hgu95av2.db" for this purpose.
hgu95av2SYMBOL should be used to map probe identifiers with that of official gene symbols.Following
- Is there any one who attended Indian Science Congress 2015 under New Biology section held at Mumbai University????
Need my abstract published there..... Can you please send it by scanning???? PleaseFollowing
- What is more important to observe Impact Factor of Journal or Citations of Article? Impact factor is impact of journal, though its an outcome of the articles published in that journal, but precisely it is the contribution of all the articles published in that journal within two years, not individual articles. For individual articles, citations and quality of the content should be more important, and shall be the only parameter to be used for its evaluation. We can correlate it with the reputation of any school or college. We can rank the school or college at any scale, but when it come to recruit someone for any particular job, it is that individual who need to provide sufficient credentials. Though, candidates from premier organizations are always preferred, but its not that recruiter can blindly pick any candidate from that premier organization. So the crunch to put this example, is actually to ask why we depends on the impact factor, and don't prefer to read articles in non-impact journals.Following
- How can we avoid the risk of publishing in a fake journal and how can we evaluate a journal's quality? Impact Factor (IF) is one of the journal quality measures, but beside arguing about this measure, it is not easy for researchers to find the correct IF of any journal. One may say that we should depend on the IF calculation produced by Thomson Reuters. However, there is an issue here: it is not easy to find their report! And another issue: it is not easy to find the IF of a specific journal in their report (e.g., see attached file). On the other hand, some journals write their IF on their website, but don't declare where they got this IF.
There are some sites that calculate journal IFs such as:
But I think that what's most risky here is publishing in a fake journal. For example, this website http://fakejournalss.wordpress.com/list-of-fake-computer-science-journals/
has a list of fake journals, but are they really fake?
Is there any way to know the true quality of journals and to avoid fake ones?Following
- Are there any journals which publish high quality research but don't have an Impact factor (IF)? Impact factor vs. high quality research publicationFollowing
- What impact does language quality have on the peer-review process? How important is the quality of the English language in a scholarly article?Following
- How to estimate the quality of a magazine? As impact factor, citations, ICV value help in estimating the quality of a journal, please let me know if there are any such predicting values which help to determine the quality of a journal?Following
- Does Heparin interfere with PCR reactions?
DNA which has been extracted from blood collected in Heparin Vials are not showing any amplification, in comparison Blood of same patient collected in ETDA vials are showing amplification.
specimens with large amounts of DNA tended to exhibit less interference by heparin. The addition of > or = 0.1 to 0.0016 U of heparin per reaction mixture (50 microl) suppressed DNA amplification in a dose-dependent fashion. We therefore concluded that much care should be taken when heparinized blood is used as a PCR material.Following
- How do you make plots of Principle component analysis (PCA) and canonical correspondence analysis (CCA)?
To understand the relation between environmental variables (such as phytoplankton, nutrients, salinity, suspended matter), many people used to use PCA and CCA plots. For my data I would like to use this type of graphical representation for conveying my results. Can anyone help me on how to make those plots and how to understand those graphs also? And, which software can we use to plot those graphs?
As I know, many software can be utilized to conduct PCA or CCA analysis, including SPSS, SAS and R, to name but a few.Following
- Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Tissue Engineering to review a manuscript? I submitted an article to Tissue Engineering more than 4 months ago. During all this time its status has been "under review". I already wrote to the editor´s office a few weeks ago to ask if such a long period was normal, but did not get any answer.Following
- How much impact factor range comes in the range of good journal? I am very much confused about the impact factor value for journal. How much impact factor considered as good journal?Following
- Can copernicus index values be entered as impact factor in Research gate? Impact factor from ISI and IC are equal? If not can you let me know how much of IC value is equal to 1 Impact factor of ISI (Thompson and reuters etc). Please let me know if any equations or conversion factors are available?Following
- Is it worth to attending a conference? Conference is a good place to build networking. However, many academics face many bizarre and irrelevant questions. Moreover, many young researchers do not get good feedback and attention from other participants. Is it not a better idea to publish a paper in a journal rather than attending a conference? (It may depend on the research area and situation)Following
- What is more relevant for rating of a journal: Eigen factor, Impact factor, H- index or IC value? What is more relevant for rating of a journal: Eigen factor, Impact factor, H- index or IC valueFollowing
- What is needed for a new scientific journal to have an "impact factor"? How can an old journal get an impact factor?Following
- Should we consider IMPACT instead of Impact Factor while publishing our research? Everyone is talking about impact factor, regardless the benefits of the research being published. We should consider scientific impact of our research instead of impact factor. Do you agree?Following
- The need to eliminate the Journal Impact Factors, in funding, appointment, and promotion considerations; what do you think? The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), initiated by the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) together with a group of editors and publishers of scholarly journals, recognizes the need to improve the ways in which the outputs of scientific research are evaluated. Please, see this link for more detailed: http://am.ascb.org/dora/Following
- What is the difference between impact factor and impact index? In a journal website they mentioned impact index (4.23). So I am a little confused about the impact index and impact factor, can anyone clear the concept between these two terms?Following
- Re: Fractional Iteration .........?
That was written pre-\Tex and I have no reprints. Threw them all away years ago!
- Is there any method to find out present or absent calls from processed microarray data?
I am using R programming for microarray data analysis. To find out Present/absent & margin calls, .CEL is necessary if using R programming. But some microarray data available on NCBI have not provided .CEL file but provided processed file so please guide me if there is any way of calculation P/A calls from processed or log transformed file.
In short the answer is no.
The reason being, detection call for affymetrix array analysis is mainly obtained through comparing signal intensities of perfect match(PM) and mismatch(MM) probe pairs and significance of their difference is estimated through Wilcoxon’s rank test.
If the affymetrix processed data uploaded in GEO includes only normalized signal intensity, then values for PM and MM probes are missing thus test cannot be performed.Following
- I am looking for SAS software code for Augmented Design. Can someone guide me out?
My project is conducted as Augmented Design at filed. For doing ANOVA I am looking for SAS software code. I could not find a complete SAS code for ANOVA and means comparison. Can someone guide me out?
Hi Timothy and Senthilvel
Thank you so much!Following
- What is the impact factor 2011 of Advanced Materials Research journal? What is the impact factor 2011 of Advanced Materials Research journal?Following
- How a non computer student can full fill his requirements for completeion of his/ her reserch work in performing PCA using MATLAB?
i am from a non computer student doing PhD in chemistry.
i am in need of PCA using MATLAB.. is there any consultancy or person regarding thisFollowing
- What do you think about the journal Computers & Operations Research? COR, is a journal on the application of computers and operations research techniques to problems, and its Impact Factor is 1.72 (with a 5-year IF 1.98).
In a journal list approved by my university, COR is in the category T2, which means that it is one of the best journals, in the aspect of Industrial and Manufacturing System Engineering. However, its IF is lower that the journal European Journal of Operational Research (IF 1.815), which is in the category A in the list.
What do you think about COR ?Following
- Do abstract published in Reputed Journal as a conference proceeding have an Impact factor ? Many journals (with good impact factor) publish special proceeding in which only abstracts are published. Will these abstracts do considered for calculating impact factor ?Following