- John Nichols added an answer:Can anyone recommend a design method for an eductor that will move sand with compressed air?Application is a suburban railway with steep grades and new power cars that skid the wheels when the track is wet.
jm-nichols at tamu.eduFollowing
- Michal Borgstädt added an answer:What is the maximum length of a train in your country ?
In France, the maximum length of a freight train is 750 meters, including the locomotive. The French nework is built with marshalling yards and passing sidings allowing this length. In Europe, this length is not the same everywhere: for instance a train going from Paris to Milano must be cut into two trains when it enters in Italy where the length is 550 m. Since 2012, the length of 850 m is allowed for some routes (Paris - Marseilles). Trials have been running successfully with trains of 1500 m.
835m in Germany, here is some overview:
- Francesco Saverio Capaldo added an answer:How can we see the numerical equation that can be developed in Adams/Rail or car?
How can we see the numerical equation that can be developed in Adams/Rail or car?
Thanks you. Remember to give a positive vote to the answers that are interesting or useful. As I have done to your question.Following
- Martin Mensinger added an answer:What is the maximum axle load and speed in following railway turnout?
In the name of god
Hi dear researchers, HAPPY NEW YEAR
what is the maximum axle load and speed in following railway turnout?
1- standard turnout
2- high-speed turnout
3- temporary turnout
4-new flexible rack railway turnout
5-vertical switch( continuous rail turnout)
best regards - hamed
the load is given in EN 1991-2, Annex E. The design speed in Germany is 360 km/h, for a travel speed of 300 km/h, which means, that 20% saftey is added (like in Italy). Please consider, that a dynamic calculation may be necessary for fatigue design because of resonance . This calculation may lead to the highest stresses at much lower velocities, in dependence of the eigenfrequencie of the member. Therefore several calculations for different verlocities and different load models usually are performed.Following
- Maher Adam asked a question:What is the best train load model to be used as input load for analysis?
what is best formula to model the train load in time domain to be used as input load for analysis?Following
- What is the specification of cardium compound currently used in Traction Motor gear case of diesel engine?
Indian railways is currently using a cardium compound for the lubrication of Traction motor pinion and bull gear of the wheel. It is filled in the gear case made for covering those gears.
- Miguel Rodriguez Bugarin added an answer:Does anyone have any information about the price of high speed turnouts?
Thanks in advance.
The question you ask is difficult to answer because the price depends on market conditions. However, I answer your question with an approximation: a high speed turnout of maximum performances can have a supply cost around 800,000 euros. To this price yo must add the assembly operations in track (around 20% of cost).Following
- Jeremi Rychlewski added an answer:What are the major challenges of using composite railway sleepers?
A number of composite railway sleepers have been developed so far such as TieTek, Axion, Sekisui FFU etc. but there application in rail track is very limited. These sleepers are environmentally friendly and not to rot or damage by moisture or insects. Despite of their clear benefits, why the application is limited?
The main question is how will they behave for a long time of exploitation. A second question is if there is a difference in prolifering the load from the rails - maybe some new rules for state and depth of ballast have to be made. Off course, there is also some conservatism in railway society.Following
- Can anyone tell me about testing of microcontroller based governor (MCBG)?
rail locomotives are now using MCBG governor. can any one describe me about testing procedure and setup of that?
Actually sir we want to build a test bench for the MCBG governors now used in diesel locomotives, because we donot have a testbench available with us for that. It is being currently installed in the engines without testing.
Can you plz help us with that? how can we do that?Following
- Sridhar Sri added an answer:How does the pressure created by a mechanical pump depend on engine speed?I need to know why mechanical pumps are not used in common rail systems?
To answer your 2nd question in a laymans langauge, a centrifugal pump has a limited operating pressure and cannot go beyond 450 to 600 BAR (depending on the application). Whereas a common rail system demands a pressure range of 150 to 1500 BAR and the pressure increase needs to be very quick which cannot be achieved by centrifugal pump.Following
- Pablo Arboleya added an answer:What are the main parameters that must be considered for developing a train electrical model?If I want to develop a model of a train to obtain the electrical demand or injected power in the catenary as a function of the track, speed, acceleration, etc..... What is the minima set of parameters that I should consider?
- Vanessa Meloni Massara added an answer:Can anyone suggest articles about the lengthening of the useful life of trains, based on "Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens" (Langrand, 1991)?
Any other study on the subject is welcome.
Dear Dr. Krishnan,
Your participation is always constructive and important! I appreciate the new link. I take this opportunity to comment the excellent links You sent and in particular: "
http://www.msn.com/en-in/travel/pho...-trains/ss-BBaC8jk?ocid=mailsignout "about the types of trains.
Thank You very much for share Your knowledge!
- Apurva Kumar added an answer:Which Subdomains are in the Railway Domain?
During his work on software in the railway domain, Dines Bjorner started with a list of subdomains into which the railway domain can be divided. His list can be found here(http://euler.fd.cvut.cz/railwaydomain/?page=faq&subpage=railway-domain). From the perspective of a railway domain expert, is this list complete and up to date with respect to the current state of the railway domain? If not, what can be added or removed from the list to refine it?
To add more context, I would like to add that I was originally asking this question from the perspective of Formal Methods in Software Engineering. This is why I started with Dines Bjorner's list in the first place, since this is the viewpoint he takes when specifying this list of subdomains of the railway domain.
Does this clarification change your answer to the original question?
Thank you for all the responses!Following
- Jeremi Rychlewski added an answer:Does anyone have references on intelligent railway crossing systems?
We are planning a research Project for prototype of intelligent railway crossing system using artificial neural network in real time.
You should start with safety requirements - neural networks allow some fuzzyness of a result, the question is do safety measures allow this fuzzyness. In Poland safety reuqirements are set so high, that the problem becomes simplified.Following
- Riswan Habbibulla added an answer:What are the possibilities for the measurement of magnetic permeability on conductors (Metals) in the frequency range of 200Khz to 1.5MHz ?
The two possibilities found so far was using Vector network analyser and Lock in amplifier. Please suggest some solutions for this. Thanks!
Thanks again for the information. I will have a look on the chapter.Following
- David B. Clarke added an answer:What is the appropriate method to calculate the impact factor to capture the dynamic impact loading of the train in railway design?
The dynamic impact loading and the speed of the train can be included in the railway design applying the impact factor.
Are you talking about track or structures? In track design generally, AREMA provides an impact factor formula that takes into account maximum train speed and average wheel diameter. This produces a practical maximum impact load of about 1.6 times the static vertical wheel or axle load. There is an alternate dynamic load factor in computing tie-ballast bearing pressure in track having concrete crossties (sleepers). The value is based on engineering judgement, but probably should be at least 2.0.Following
- David Francisco Marmolejo Carrasco added an answer:What type of contracts are suggestable for the implementation of subway projects?-Following
- Can we utilise the relative wind energy of a moving train? While a high speed train is moving, the wind is blowing in the opposite direction. Can that wind energy be utilized to run the fans of the train?
or if that wind can be utilized to generate power? like installing dynamo in the poles near the trackscan we place dynamo in th poles near the tracks?Following
- Michael Henry added an answer:Does anyone have a clear diagram or drawing of the apparatus August Wohler used for his rotating bending fatigue tests?The one in "The Engineer" journal, as published online, is so badly reproduced it is barely comprehensible. I need to illustrate an historical article on early work in fatigue of railway axles.Similar item of interest:
This link claims to have a picture of a Wohler tensile rather than rotating fatigue test machine at Deutsches Museum.
- Lars Abrahamsson added an answer:Anyone knows any software package able to simulate railway power systems?I need to know which are the commercial options for simulation of electrical railway networks, not for transient simulation but for electrical power flow analysis. Do any of these packages also simulate the train behavior?
Rainer: What is the difference between SidyTrack and that thing you mentioned?
A small list:
- TracFeed Simulation from Solvina (used to be STRI, and before that ABB, used to be called SIMTRAC)
- Sitras Sidytrac  by Siemens is internally
used in the Siemens corporate group.
- ELBASTOOLS from the manufacturer ELBAS including
SINANET (for dc traction), WEBANET (for ac traction), and
IMAFEB/ELEFEB that is suitable to the calculation of effective
overhead line impedances of ac railways as well as the mag-
netic and electric field distribution at cross sections around the
contact and transmission lines  is yet another commercial
RPSSOS software package.
- µ-PAS, ZFS software from Prolitec AG, also exists as
well as the software package
- Faber from Enotrac AG.
- (there is a short listing in my IEEE TVT publication from 2011)
I also attached some documents I had on my computer. Mainly regarding TracFeed and µ-pass, since they are used by Swedish Traffic Administration. Some of them might be in Swedish =(Following
- Umesh Rai asked a question:Railway researchers interested in contributing a chapter on their research work?Railway researchers are invited to contribute a chapter to an edited book, entitled 'Handbook of Research on Emerging Innovations in Rail Transportation Engineering'. This book is published by IGI-Global.Following
- Bhupendra Desai added an answer:Please suggest the reason and remedy for the voltage fluctuationsIn Mumbai Monorail project in India, one typicat problem is being faced . Traction Subststion of 750 V DC supply uniform DC volatge at no load but at load i.e when the monorail start running or accelerating at a speed of 30 km/hr or more there are volatge fluctuations in the system , which are measured at 20 m sec sampling rate at the input of DC to AC traction Inverter , Conductor Rail ( having contact with current collector with conductor rail as the train moves and there is no bouncing of the curren collector , which is checked on the web camera) . Amplitudue of the Voltage fluctuate is more than No load voltage of Traction substation i.e 1000 V on the max side and 550 V on the minimum side . Voltage fluctauation amplitude starts increasing as train moves away from the Traction Sub station and its duration also increases . Surprising when profile of the DC volatge is checked at the Traction substation at rectifier 12 pulse Full wave , 2 M watt diode , it is noted that there is no volatge fluctuations and smooth 750 V DC supply is flowing even at full load . However it is imperative to mention that connection between the Traction substation to the conductor rail is though the 4 run of 1 x 240 sq mm Copper cable ( Conductor rail is the Aluminum rail with steel top to avoid the wear and tear but since the conductuctivity of Aluminium is more than Steel therefore most of the current passes through the alumimum )As there is no loading(fluctuation),at substation, and as the contact of current collector, are considered perfect(no bouncing), then the voltage fluctuation, which increases, with distance, with perfect catenary(capable of taking required loading), means may be due to considerable voltage drop, in the return path, the aluminum rail, with distance, at higher current demand. Can be reduced by providing,more parallel return path, with increased distance or using, larger cross section rail..Following
- Sukmun Oh added an answer:Is there any real case of an express train overtaking a normal train through opposite direction of line in common operation?Overtaking, skip-stop, schedule, operation.No we do not have the regime. I do research whether the operational pattern is possible to maintain reliability in normal opeartion condition or not. And if it is possible how much shortnning the headway of the rail line operated in that overtaking pattern. That is my recently topic. So I like to know what the headway is. How you simulate these cases?Following
- Closed account added an answer:What is the relation between tractive force (pull force) and motor torque in traction, can we find an exact relation between them analytically?.Actually i not able to download that because i am not aware of that language. Can i find that in English. Really that book is very useful to me. if some how you manage the soft copy for me on my email id(firstname.lastname@example.org), then i can translate it into my own convenient language. Thanx :)Following
- Closed account asked a question:Can anyone provide the experimental values of motor torque and tractive force (pull force) quantities for any typical rail and wheel?.Following
- Jose Gomez Castaño added an answer:What are the main components of Railway Engineering course contents?Railway Engineering is a multi-disciplinary program. However, there are many school of thoughts that sees railway engineering as more towards mechanical or electrical engineering. Some may say that it is more towards computerisation. So, what could be the best content for a railway engineering program?I think you may include some topics about GIS and SDI apllication to railways. Theese technieues help many other to be conprenhensiveFollowing
- Dragan Djordjevic added an answer:Can someone advise on a Fuzzy approach with incorporation in the PROMETHEE multicriteria method?A fuzzy in the PROMETHEEI want to put data from fuzzy analysis as attributes in multi-criteria analysis.
It would be great if you have any examples.
Thanks in advanceFollowing
- Monica Zarekar added an answer:I am designing a frame for a Railway Compressor and need some guidelines could you help me?I would like some information on general guidelines to frame construction.Can anyone help me to get technical paper on this same topicFollowing