- Nicoletta Charalambous Charalambous added an answer:1How much does weight matter for shipping containers?
I've seen that the typical 40ft container empty/tare weight is 3.8 tons (20ft around 2.2 tons if I remember correctly) which is quite a lot heavier than I thought.
Firstly, How would the shipping world react if you could make containers half that weight? Say, under 2 tonnes for a 40ft and 1 tonne for a 20ft.
Would this be a game changer or would the weight saving be considered small and negligible when total tonnage weights are all added up for the ship? Given that I read fuel is $600 per tonne, this must mean a much lower cost?
In my opinion, either 40f. containers or 20f. containers are structure in that way so that they can not easily be damaged while stowing or causing any other deficiencies in the operation processes when loading, discharging or transshipped. Added to this regarding your consideration it can be note that YES it might be possible to make containers weight a little bit less, but this will for example save 1 container out of 20 in terms of weight.
Moreover, making such innovations like reducing the weight of the construction would not be a solution that will bring a development in the liner shipping industry, unless this is proved to be efficient whilst avoiding any deficiencies, since lots of losses will be created.
Instead. economies of scale can be illustrated through the reduction of fuel prices, taking into account its particulars.Following
- Rolando Biere Arenas added an answer:4Does any know of any research to define a specific structure of management in the transformation processes of port areas?
I'm finishing my doctoral thesis on this subject. And before do it, I want to be sure to have all the previous information.
Good luck with the results.
- Raul Villa Caro added an answer:1Anyone have information/ recommendations/ directions to help me conduct an interesting study in the sea port community systems?Sea port operations are going online, toward a single window approach.
- Paul R Drake added an answer:3Why are logistic parks important to ports and what is the need of setting up logistic parks in gujarat?
research paper links
Makes the port more attractive to customers.Following
- Claudia Patricia Núñez asked a question:OpenDoes anyone know research experiences of port-city relationships in Argentina, Brazil or any other counties in Latin America?Currently we are working in this field, applying the model of evolution proposed by Hoyle (1989) in ports of Argentina and the south of Brazil, and also adapting the model of Ducruet (2005) for its validation in Argentine port-cities. Although we have found similar studies in ports of Asia and Europe, it's been difficult to find other experiences in the region. Also, published papers in portuguese would be appreciated.Following
- Utkarsh Mukkannawar added an answer:3Particulate organic carbon: What is it and why is it important to measure?Special emphasis on sea ports.Does POC's have any International or National Standards covered under any marine (harbor or creek) act???Following
- Ayanda Meyiwa asked a question:OpenDoes anyone have any data on the Far Eastern Port Authority tariffing strategy and methodology?The topic of my dissertation is The Asian Port Doctrine with Respect to South African Port Pricing
I am making contact with freight forwarders who are involved in the facilitation of some trade with economies like China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and other Asian archipelago. The object of this exercise is to get an idea of the type of costs incurred by container ships that call into the various ports of these economies.
I cordially ask you refer me to sources that may lead me to acquire the tariff strategy and methodology used in the Far Eastern ports and, quite possibly, the policies underpinning those strategies.Following
- Giuseppe Tattara added an answer:2Comparing experiences of towns that due to gigantic ships have extended their port facilities towards the sea and requalified the old port (waterfront)Experiences of urban requalification across Europethanks, these are the experiences that i need to compare. Anything written on the topic?
- Val Littlewolf Heike added an answer:1Inter-Terminal Transportation (ITT): What are current practices dealing with ITT in different ports around the world?There may be interactions among different container terminals within one port. One example is inter-terminal transportation (ITT). We have a model on this:
I would be happy to learn about current practices dealing with ITT in different ports.
In America we have a place in California called Silicone Valley. Since all information is accessesable I sure with a little effort information might be gleened.Following
- Stefan Voss added an answer:7What is the difference between Container Terminal and Container Port Operations?I am currently investigating the efficiency of service time/turn-around time of ships berthed at container ports using econometric estimation. But I need to define the differences between the two types of container ports. Would be glad if any one from this group could provide some assistance.There may be interactions among different container terminals within one port. One example is inter-terminal transportation (ITT). We have a model on this:
I shall post a question on this to see what the specific approaches to deal with ITT are in different ports.Following
- Muhammad Subhan added an answer:9What is the most appropriate theory that we can use to explain container port growth?There are some theories in economics that someone may use to explain how certain business can grow. For instance, locational advantage, resource-based view, competitive advantage, and many more. Can you share your opinion on the above question?Anyone uses the following theories in port analysis?
- Resource based view
- Core competencies
- Market based strategy
- Opportunity based strategy
- Competitive based strategyFollowing
- Miguel Ángel Argomedo added an answer:9What about the city-port relationship?For a correct understanding of the Mediterranean culture we must take in consideration the relation between cities and ports, not only from a historical point of view, that would explain the urban evolution of the coastal territory, but from our present perspective.
Several Universities are working into a common project about this topic.
Are you interested?
Have you any comments to do?
We will appreciate every proposal in this way.Quisiera agregar la definición que he podido construir , respecto a la relación puerto-ciudad. Se ubica en las bases teóricas de la economía regional y rebasa las cuestiones de diseño y planificación urbana. Los puertos son enclaves económicos que responden a un "hinterland" y a "externets" ; rutas terrestres y rutas marítimas que forman una red, que condiciona las formas y estructuras urbano regionales. Es el mismo caso de las ciudades fronterizas . Sus procesos físico-espaciales están condicionados por los flujos económicos y la infraestructura de movilidad externasFollowing
- Kanya Prasetyo added an answer:4Port governance models worldwideLooking for challenging networking people from port governance/management sector?
Perhaps, is there anyone who has analyzed World Bank "Port reform tool kit" published 2000 and revised 2001?thanks Christiaan!Following
- Valters Bolevics added an answer:2I`m looking forward to participate in Rotterdam Euram conference 2012 with port governance paper http://euram2012.eiasm.org/r/default.asp?iId=EMDEHGIs there anyone else attending? Would be glad to brainstorm ideasRegarding port economics, port management, port governance, terminal management and similar topicsFollowing
- Valters Bolevics added an answer:6Port authorities governance models in MENA and ASIADear all,
At the moment I`m conducting research on port authorities governance models applied within the World- I have some great overview and information about Europe and South part of US; but would be interested to discuss this with others who have knowledge about Asia (China, S.Korea, Japan and Singapore).
and I appreciate your input on delivering consulting work in Latvia and I`m awaiting WB report on Indian ports legislation.Following
About Port Management
This group is dedicated to port management, port economics, port terminal economics and governance professionals