- Bianca Unger added an answer:Actual amount of marine debris in the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean?I'm searching for a paper or report estimating the global amount of marine debris. I'd like to have some actual numbers. Does anyone have any ideas for literature I should take into account? Thanks for your help!And no. 2Following
- John Vonderlin added an answer:Any residual long term breakdown products from the plastic trash in the salt water of the ocean?Anthropogenic impact on ocean chemistryHi James,
In my huge collection of marine debris I have about 50,000 benthic objects. Gathered over nearly a ten year period they have provided extensive forensic evidence about point sources, benthic movement and the taphonomy of submerged debris.
I have a huge Flickr account detailing the contents and would be glad to engage in correspondence about what I know or think I know. Here's the link to what I've collected just this year, Enjoy. John VonderlinFollowing
- John Vonderlin added an answer:How do we estimate the volume of the marine debris?Which tools are available to us, and what kind of sampling has been done and needs to be done?Hi Marianna, I have the largest organized and highly documented collection of marine debris I am aware of, with benthic marine debris being the main focus. If you contact me I'll provide links to my 50,000+ online Flickr account as well as answer as best I can all of your questions. John VonderlinFollowing
- Good overview paper, but old http://www.5gyres.org/media/Moore_2001_plastic_in_North_Pacific_Gyre.pdfFollowing
- Marianna Anderle de Sylor added an answer:What are some realistic solutions to cleaning up the debris?Several sites present lists of potential remedies, but most seem to assume that the plastic is not widely-distributed and that most of the debris is large. What I have read seems to suggest otherwise, that the debris can be found across a large distance and also deep wihtin the water column. Furthermore, it sounds like most of the plastic has been broken down into small particles.
- What is the resolution of current ocean/sea thermometers? Are Sea Surface Temperature (SST) and Upper Ocean Heat Content (UOHC) the most reliable or most commonly used measures? Which devices are used to measure water temperature of large bodies of water (satellites, Argo)?Following
- What are the thermodynamics of photolytic and mechanical plastic degradation? Is the process exothermic for most plastic polymers? If so, might it be possible to observe a temperature change of water that varies by plastic density?Following
About Marine Debris
garbage patches in the Eastern Pacific, Western Pacific, and North Pacific or Subtropical Convergence Zone (STCZ)