- Dan Borza added an answer:3Are there papers describe the cooling costs and/or aeration costs in industrial reactors?
I found one paper "Becze G, Liebmann AJ. 1944. Aeration in the production of compressed yeast. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 36, 882-890". Are there other more recent?
A review on anaerobic–aerobic treatment of industrial and municipal wastewater
YJ Chan, MF Chong, CL Law, DG Hassell - Chemical Engineering Journal, 2009 - Elsevier (PDF available from umn.edu)
Upgrading of sewage treatment plant by sustainable and cost-effective separate treatment of industrial wastewater
WR Abma, W Driessen, R Haarhuis… - Water science and …, 2010 - researchgate.net
Integration of wastewater treatment plant design and operation—A systematic approach using cost functions
PA Vanrolleghem, U Jeppsson, J Carstensen… - Water Science and …, 1996 - Elsevier
I hope it helps !
- Avinash V. Palodkar added an answer:5How can I best evaluate the performance of an MPC?
I am currently working on a problem where I need to evaluate the performance of a model predictive controller whose control objective is predictable disturbance rejection. The optimization is based on a linear state-space model and I have successfully shown the improvement of the closed loop with experiments, but am curious to the limit of the MPC. Does anyone know a good way to evaluate this? thanks!
I think you should refer Process Control: Modeling, Design, and Simulation by B. Wayne Bequette. it provides you a better idea.Following
- Mohamad Amin Kaviani added an answer:7Fuzzy decision making, Intuitionistic Fuzzy decision making or Grey decision making method- which one is more applicable?
I was thinking about the different decision making methods under certain and uncertain conditions. My specific question is that:
As you know, we have many MCDM tools like AHP- ANP- TOPSIS- VIKOR- PROMOTEE- MOORA- SIR and many other methods and all of them have been developed to fuzzy, type-2 fuzzy, intuitionistic fuzzy and Grey environments. But when we deal with uncertainty, we actually do not know which one of the aforementioned conditions is more appropriate. Which one really more applicable under uncertain situation? fuzzy ? type-2 fuzzy? Intuitionistic fuzzy? or Grey environment for a decision making method?
All the ideas and comments are appreciated. Hope that all of the experts take an action to this question by following or leaving their valuable comments.
I am so happy that my question has been taken into your considerations. I think the subject of this question can push out the frontier of uncertain decision making researches and is a challenging topic.Following
- Roland Iosif Moraru added an answer:8Can anyone suggest how to use ergonomic risk assessment tools? There are tools like RULA, REBA, QEC, OWAS, NIOSH LIFTING, GARG'S STRAIN INDEX etc.I am doing an ergonomic risk assessment in small scale industries to find out the risk levels for WRMSD. First I began with nordic or cornell msd questionnaire, then want to use various ergonomic assessment tools.
How should I proceed?
Congratulations Ricardo &Team for the tool developed. Any contribution brings us one step forward!Following
- Arian Razmi Farooji added an answer:9Has anyone a good reference about a textbook regarding the topic of VRP?
I am designing a course for undergraduate students of Industrial Engineering about transportation. I am looking for a textbook which can be considered as a base for that course. The textbook should contain the theory and examples of topics such as travelling salesman problem, VRP, Clark & Wright, and some other classical heuristics.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Here you can find the latest and most recent book with editorial of Toth and Vigo, published in 2014:
- Ks Goi added an answer:8Are there any supported articles / textbooks that can be referred to in setting DOE level range?
I am now setting a range for my DOE level setting according to my current situation data.
E.g. : a range between 10-20% of the current situation?
High WIP level - Buffer capacity
Freq M/c Breakdown - times in between failure
Lack of skilled worker - Unskilled Skilled
Manual oriented process - Manual can use stochastic/distribution based
processing time, auto can be based on constant processing time
Can I justify the level setting by mentioning that I discussed with the expertised field person / high management for my case?Following
- Aditya Malik added an answer:8Can you suggest literature to solve MIP capacitated network flow problem?
I am working on MIP capacitated network flow problem. I am using cplex (C++) to build my model. The problem size is very huge and hence cplex procedure is taking unacceptable time to provide the solution.
Can someone please guide me to some literature or any survey paper that list out various solutions methods to solve MIP problem quickly.
Thanks for the support.
Thanks Again Everyone. I have been successful in decomposing the problem into two parts using Lagrangian relaxation.Following
- Sasan Taslimi added an answer:5What's the difference between 'bill of materials' (BOM) and 'material take off' (MTO)?They look similar, but there must be some differences. Can anybody clarify this for me?
I believe Both contain the list of materials used with consumpion factor and technical specifications like weight, size, quantity but MTO contains price for cost Analysis until we can release our orders to vendorsFollowing
- Jacek Hoffman added an answer:3Is there any relationship between pulse length and ablation threshold for a given material?
I heard somewhere the ablation threshold is proportional to the square root of the pulse length but I was not able to find a reference.
Is that an empirical relationship? which is the validity range? Does it works only for nanosecond lasers?
I meant laser ablation as used in Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD) of materials, not the laser damage. In nanosecond regime the ablation mechanism is mostly thermal. Hence, the above considerations may be repeated more exact using formulas for time-dependent distribution of heat in the target.Following
- Priyavrat Thareja added an answer:23Are one way changes in DOE acceptable?
If the factors level setting in DOE is only changing in one way, for eg:
frequent machine breakdown : decrease breakdown rate
Lack of skill worker: increase skill worker
High WIP level : decrease WIP level
High rejection rate: decrease rejection rate
can the level setting varies in only one direction?
In industrial or competitive settings cost sure is critical.
In research too, cost and time are importantFollowing
- Jaime Cuauhtemoc Negrete added an answer:6Are Indian tractors designed with anthropometric approach of Indian users population?
We are considering users queries to give better suitability, comfort to operator. Design is not based on anthropetric data of Indian polulation.
In Mexico there are no tractors designed not anthropomorphic data of the native population by the manufacturers actually design them with data from populations of the countries of origin of these companies, likewise there are no anthropomorphic data of the population of farmers that use
that good that India and Brazil there are studies that provide data for the farm tractor correct designFollowing
- Morteza Davari added an answer:7Does the preemptive single machine scheduling problem of minimizing the total weighted completion time with equal release (rj=0) date NP-hard?We know that the problem with release dates is NP-hard.
I only need to recommend this website:
- André Vivan added an answer:4What is the best method to balance a mix-model line, U-shaped and two-sided station?
I need to find out what is the best algorithm to resolve this kind of assembly line. Somebody can say if the best way is modify some existing method?
Hello Marcello Fera. Thank you for your response. I'm relatively new in this field of knowledge. I'm designing a production system for my PhD thesis, which is based on an assembly line. I'm still setting the constraints and this is one of my doubts: every operational features are constraints? At first I want the best theoretical way. I can send more information if you can help me. Thanks a lot.Following
- Hopewell Molefe added an answer:2How long can residence time be for aeration in a small scale (running a pilot plant)?
I'm running a pilot plant doing lime treatment for pH correction and reduction of sulphates through the precipitation of gypsum. The results so far they show that my pilot plant is working well to reduce sulphates, now I want to add a 4th tank to do aeration to try and deal with my COD biologically. My system consists of :
- The reactor where I dose lime (I treat about 1000 L per day)
- A Coagulation vessel (Where I add some coagulant or do a sludge recycle for seeding)
- Finally a Settling tank
I want to put an earation tank just before coagulation.
Thank you very very much Sir, let me be on it.Following
- Sonia Irshad Mari added an answer:3What kind of network DEA is suggested for evaluating performance of supply chain network?
there are several network models for performance evaluating of supply chain,including radial or non radial,slackbased,..
what is the best way for evaluating performance when we consider supply chain network design?
- Carlos E Losada added an answer:2There any previous experimental experience on Impeller designs for Inline Mixers?
There any previous experimental experience on Impeller designs for inline Mixers?
Thanks you Professor Maddali V S.
The difficulty has been selecting the correct Viscosities (cSt) for a variety of Pulps with different consistency (Stock).
There some data from Gullichen but none seems to have a appropriate update
- Masoud Rahiminezhad Galankashi added an answer:5Establishing equivalency between batch Vs continuous distillation schemes?
Conceptually can two existing semibatch distillation assets substitute for a 3 outlet continuous divided wall column, accepting lower thermal efficiency. Think semi commercial scale.
Specifically, are there heuristics to follow for this comparison, given all column dimensions, and stages, so that the alternative flowsheet, has a greater success at being capable?
You are welcomeFollowing
- Arjun Shrestha added an answer:5Can anyone suggest papers from international peer review journals which focus on scale design, development and validation?
Would like to have a good reading on scales.
These are some of the articles about scale development and validation:
Kacmar, K. M., & Carlson, D. S. (1997). Further validation of perceptions of politics scale (Pops): A multi sample investigation. Journal of Management, 23(5), 625-658.
Ferris, G. R., Treadway, D. C., Kolodinsky, R. W., Hochwarter, W. A., Kacmar, C. J., Douglas, C., & Frink, D. D. (2005). Development and validation of the political skill inventory. Journal of Management, 31(1), 126-152.
Liu, C. H., & Robertson, P. J. (2011). Spirituality in the workplace: Theory and measurement, Journal of Management, 20(1), 35-55.Following
- J.W. Joubert added an answer:13Is operations research/ management science (i.e. OR/MS) not a specialty in the present context?
Operations research is variously domiciled in mathematics, industrial engineering, economics,management science, etc, depending on the university.
I think the term "Operations Research" is not so much a "discipline" or a "speciality" as it is a toolset. What an interesting question you're asking, though.
No single department in an institution should "claim" OR as their domain. Unfortunately that does happen, and there is much of the OR basics that will get duplicated if each interested department teaches it in-house. But the proverbial "devil" is indeed in the details. When you get to domain-specific applications, the "tool" comes to its rightful use, but only in the hands of an expert. A statistician may not have an appreciation for complex capacitated arc routing problem (like waste collection), and similarly an industrial engineer building intricate simulation models of a bottling line or mining operation may not appreciate whether the solution space is concave or convex.
More recently I also see departments "fight" about where "Data Science" should be housed.
It is because OR is such a "generally applicable" tool that it can (and should) be applied in "specialist" domains.Following
- Gustavo Concari added an answer:15How can we make a scenario in a logistic system?
Considering a logistic system including plant,warehouses,supplier,retailers in single period with different transportation modes,with initial investment, How could we make different scenarios?what is basic rule for building a scenario?
The recomended book to build scenarios the "Shell way" (there are other methods, like the one created by frenchman Michel Godet) is "The Art of the Long View", by Peter Schwartz. It´s not a difficult tool.
- Misbah Ullah added an answer:3How do I set level for factor of "poor handling" in DOE ?
Its an assembly process. A lot of poor handling causes the high defect rate. Any idea on how to define the level ?
Dear Ks Goi
First define different factors that are causing high defect rate, then define the level of each factor that can affect defect rate. e.g labor may be one factor that cause for poor handling then levels may be skilled (trained) labor and unskilled (untrained) labor. Hope would be helpful.Following
- Luis Estaire-Alvarez added an answer:5Do you know if there is any paper related to the economic impact of governmental industrial regulations on advance composite manufacturing costs?
One of the factors that have relevant influence on manufacturing companies competitiveness is the compliance with government regulations. The issue is to find out figures dealing with. I am exploring this issue on advanced composite manufactures allocated into industrialized countries trying to carry out proper compilations among them.
I have to appreciate both Teresa and Mostafa for their recent added value links dealing with the issue under analysis. Thanks so much.
- Masoud Rahiminezhad Galankashi added an answer:4What is the total landing cost for medical items and how can I capture its elements?
Net landed or total supply chain costs are used terminologies to indicate how much it costs the organization to have an item on shelf in healthcare organizations. Does anyone know more about that? And what is an appropriate model to capture the costs elements of these items?
I recommend total logistic cost. It can be calculated as follows:
Total Logistic Cost (TLC)= Total inventory cost+ total facility cost+ total facility cost
Each of these costs have some components that are obtainable from related papers. Don't forget to consider the fact of being cost effective or responsive. It can affect the shelf price. Good luckFollowing
- Edin Cerjaković added an answer:32Can anyone recommend any software that works with transportation simulation?Now I work and try to optimize the vehicle scheduling and routing problem using arena Simulation but need to know and learn other softwares and approaches.
I use Tecnomatix Plant Simulation (earlier: SIMPLE++ or eM-Plant)
Thus Plant Simulation we have generated models for commissioning, manufacturing, transportation, ... .
Integrated into the software is also programming language SimTalk, so that the most of non-standard problems also can be described.Following
- François K. Mulenga added an answer:1Why most of researchers in grinding simulation field, consider breakage function as normalized breakage function?
If we want to deal with grinding simulation we need to measure breakage function (BF) in lab. There are two different sorts of BF. Normalized and non-normalized. The question is, why in all cases do researcher consider the BF as normalized?
Breakage function is generally difficult to measure in the laboratory. One should make sure that batch grinding is done for a time short enough to avoid re-breakage of particles. If this is done, then one will produce accurate data for breakage function. Typically no more than 30 % of the initial monosized feed should be milled.
Now, the problem is that the broken particles (i.e. less than 30 % of the initial feed sample) may not spread well enough across of the sieve sizes that retained masses will be measured with a fair level of error. In addition to this, the grinding time is so short that it is prone to being measured with high inaccuracy compared to longer grinding times. So, all this contributes to the breakage function being challenging to accurately measure. That is partly the reason why the breakage function is assumed normalisable.
Finally, by assuming non-normalisation, one additional parameter need to be included to cater for this besides the 4 fitting parameters for the selection function and the 3 fitting parameters for the breakage function. Again here, the additional parameter is not always straightforward to measure. Hence, normalised breakage function is used for simplicity.
- Hamed Mirzadeh added an answer:7Which method is used to curve fit recrystallized fraction (Xa) against log of holding time?I conducted a series of double-hit compression tests. I have plotted the (Xa) against log(t).
How (which software excel or matlab) do I curve fit my results to fit the AVRAMI softening equation? I need that nice sigmoidal shaped curve. Thanks alot.Following
- Ariel Linden added an answer:3Which publications/books on seasonal inventory without excluding the elusive algorithms in it are useful?
I am working on a study for a business which copes with seasonal demand. The only literature on this subject i can find is in rocket science mathematics. I would like to have some simple guidelines instead.
Are you interested in forecasting based on seasonal demand? If so, then you'd be interested in time series modeling approaches.
- Peter Thibeault added an answer:4Are there any studies on the interaction design of vending machines?
I'm currently working on the improvement of the interaction design and the aesthetics of a vending machine, but I've not found literature in this area. Could anyone suggest some references, please?
Perhaps, research into the development of interactive video games that took place in the eighties and nineties as Laser Disc technologies were beginning to influence arcade games to replace the likes of Pinball (eg: Pong, etc.). Saga was an industry leader at the time, as was Nintendo. I'm sure this industry would have reams of applicable research.Following
- Zol Bahri Razali added an answer:1What are the specifications of tensile helical spring used in centrifugal clutch and how do we choose it?
What are the specifications of tensile helical spring used in centrifugal clutch and how do we choose it?Following
About Industrial Engineering
There is always a better way.