- Valeriy Kuznetsov added an answer:How to make 1st year electrical engineering student understand voltage, current, resistor?
How to make 1st year engineering student understand voltage, current, resistor?
I like using of analogy, visualisation. For the 1st year electrical engineering student it's better to avoid some complicated expressions. I suggest to pay attention to the physics of the processes.
- Narasim Ramesh added an answer:How can we build a core team on wireless sensor network (WSN) in a rural engineering institution with limited faculty expertise?
Please see attached text document.
There is some difficulty in the simulation of experiments.It does not work after
connection in sensor data acquisition for example , the WSN in remote panel does not function.Would be grateful for suggestions
- Chandrashekhar Dharankar added an answer:What is the implication of complex mode shapes (complex eigen vectors)?
When multi-DOF systems with arbitrary damping are modeled using the state-space method, then Laplace-transform of the state equations results into an eigen problem. In general the eigenvalues and vectors are complex. The IP (eigenvalue) represents the damped natural frequency.
In case of undamped systems the eigenvalues are complex with RP=0. But mode shapes are real and represents relation between various motion variables, when system vibrates with corresponding natural frequency.
I am interested in understanding the physical interpretation of complex mode shapes (complex eigenvectors).
Thanks to all for your response.Following
- Emre Erturk added an answer:Which the better SQL Database & and how to train people on using 4GL SQL?The idea is to provide a crash course on using SQL to the broad group of people possible.
Looks like you have written an interesting example tutorial. I have taught SQL for a while at the university level and we use long tutorials and textbooks. One of the SQL database software that I like is PostgreSQL, which is free, available on many platforms, and has an extensive online documentation. The only thing I can suggest for your tutorial in the future is perhaps drawing an ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram) for your tables so that people can picture in their mind what they are creating. Then one could also give them the sample data in a table of spreadsheet format, and then let them do some of the INSERT statements that way. In the end, you can also make them do a few simple SELECT statements to help them understand and check out what they have done. Anyway, nice to see other people who also enjoy SQL. :)
- Victor Lopez-Cabrera added an answer:How to deal with large number of students exceeding demand?
I am leading a curriculum in manufacturing engineering. Each year I ask for 100 students (our optimal capacity) and receive between 160 and 250 students. As our curriculum is unique in the country, I cannot reject some of them. The curriculum is highly practical with about 30% of labs. How to deal with this huge number of students without lowering the quality of teaching?
Many of the advises given seemed reasonable. Mostly agree with a good design based on local culture and situation of the following straegies: project based learning, flipped classroom, e-learning and collaborative learning. Student engagement is the critical factor imho, however, instructor dynamics and presence (either virtual or face to face) also important. Over the years I have found out that is way more important to foster self learning and collaborative learning in students than actual technical content. With proper guidance for self improvement and networking anyobe can advance in a fast pace changing by the minute world. Just my 2 cents.Following
- Prabhakar Telagarapu added an answer:Should conference papers be counted as publication?Most of the researchers publish their research articles in conference because its a faster way of making the results available. At many places, papers published as conference proceedings are not considered during promotion, on the other hand, at few places it is counted as publications but with less credits.
I appeal to my senior research fellows, kindly give your precious comments over this issue.
Some reputed Conferences e.g EMBS,EMBC treat as publication because these papers cited in Some high impact factor journals.Following
- Ramanan Lakshminarayanan added an answer:How can industry based teaching in engineering be improved?
I would like to know how the teaching, learning process can be improved in Engineering in the context of industrial revolution.
Dear Prof., Kayaroganam
This paper in the link below is one of the multi-pronged approach
- Marie-Pierrette Pono-Ntyonga added an answer:What were reasons to abandon a PBL approach in engineering education?Literature is filled with the advantages of Problem / Project based Learning (PBL) approaches and how these approaches have been implemented. Did an academic engineering program / course ever quit PBL? What were the reasons? How did students perceive a change from PBL back to traditional teaching and learning?PBL has been blamed to favour a more superficial learning,and misconceptions. But it's not enough to abandon PBL. The best way should be to combine PBL and traditional approach, and also to have tutors able to detect misconceptions and help students building right concepts. My doctorate research was about PBL and concepts' learning according to Vygotsky's concepts learning framework. As Vygotski said, the best way to make students learn concepts is not to teach concepts but to help them solve problems in their ZPD.Following
- Nasser Abdellatif added an answer:Should there be student representatives in departmental and faculty councils?Many issues that affect students are discussed by faculty members in many cases without any input from students. In many cases students can make valuable contributions. One way to guarantee students’ input is to include them in the decision making process by having student representatives in university governance bodies.Thank all for your valuable comments. It seems that many agree that students should be allowed to serve on governance committees/council. The main reasons are (1) student representatives carry students’ concerns/points of view into these councils. (2) Transparency which is important in all institutions and can get student buy in into changes and new directions. (3) Leadership training for students.Following
- Martin Jaeger added an answer:How useful are training courses?Some universities require field training courses for all majors. While companies do take trainees, they do not always have the time or resources to train them well. Is field training needed in all majors? What can be done to improve student training?Dear all,
The benefits of students' field training depends not only on the training providing company, but also very much on the students themselves. At ACK, we began to encourage students to combine (part time) field training with their capstone projects (final year projects). As a consequence, they tend to take their field training more serious and their projects become "more real".Following
- Ahmad Faris Ismail added an answer:How can we enhance the values and ethics components in engineering and/or science based academic programs?Our research group is looking at the effectiveness of the professional ethics component/content in the current engineering programmes. We are looking at the possibility of developing an integrated curriculum to produce better graduates.We need to revisit and compare the philosophy of science and technology from different perspectives. The science and technology must be integrated with values and ethics.Following
- Pisupati Sadasiva Subramanyam added an answer:Can anyone tell me whether a chaotic based security system has been used commercially?Until now, I reviewed many papers which talked about the security of chaos based ciphers, but until now I could not find the commercial use for chaotic based ciphers. Maybe it is currently still being researched?I am not aware whether Chaotic Security has been introduced in Commercial Applications.Probably it is introduced in Defence Applications. Vide item 1.
The application of it in Communication and Image Transmission are widely reported.
The following references, to mention a few are illustrative of its use.
Secure Image Ciphering based on the Mathematics of Chaos
Multi-Sensor Exploitation Branch
Information and Intelligence Exploitation Division
Air Force Research Laboratory
Investigators; ï¿½ Dr. Jiri Fridrich, Principal Investigator, SUNY Binghamton
ï¿½ Mr. Richard Simard,Multi-Sensor Exploitation Branch, AFRL
Secure Image Ciphering based on the Mathematics of Chaos. Need for Secure and Efficient Use of Available Transmission Media Between Fixed and Deployed Locations to Transfer Time-Sensitive Data for Military & Commercial Applications.
Security Analysis of A Chaos-based Image Encryption Algorithm
Shiguo Lian, Jinsheng Sun, Zhiquan Wang
Department of Automation, Nanjing University of Science and Technology
Nanjing, Jiangsu 210094, P.R China
Information Security using Genetic Algorithm and Chaos
Anil Kumar, M. K. Ghose
Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Sikkim (INDIA)
In this paper the Authors have proposed a new approach of genetic algorithms (GA) with pseudorandom sequence to encrypt data stream.
The feature of such an approach includes high data security and high feasibility for easy integration with commercial multimedia transmission applications. The experimental results of the proposed technique confirm that high throughput rate needed for real time data protection is achieved.
This total way of transferring secret information is highly safe and reliable. The simulation results have indicated that the encryption results are completely chaotic by the sense of sight,very sensitive to the parameter fluctuation.
In the future work, they are planning to design a sophisticated hardware based on this technique which will be targeted to use in highly secure multimedia data transmission applications.
- Fausto Galetto added an answer:Is the procedure of chain sampling sound?I think there is a drawback: Pa is higher than it shall be.
In an Italian exercises book for students of “Quality Engineering” I found the following [later I realised that the very same procedure is on a book of D. C. Montgomery].
1. Any sample has a sample size n=10 and an acceptance number a=0
2. The lot is accepted if the number of defectives d found is d=0
3. The lot is rejected if the number of defectives d found is d>1
4. IF d=1 one analyses the decisions on the 2 previous lots
5. IF both the previous lots were accepted with a number of defectives d=0 THEN the new lot is accepted
6. OTHERWISE the lot is rejected
IF p is the probability that one item is defective the Acceptance Probability Pa of any lot is given by the formula Pa(p)=(1-p)^10+9p(1-p)^9(1-p)^20
In both books (Italian and D. C. Montgomery ) there the same formula; the solution for p=0.03 is Pa(0.03)=0.861see the documents: 1) Case n° THIRTEEN; some WRONG ideas of PROFESSOR D.C. MONTGOMERY!!!!! FIRST PART_Quality MUST be loved, DISquality MUST be hated. 2) Case n° SIXTEEN; SECOND PART, other WRONG ideas of D.C. MONTGOMERY!!!!! Quality MUST be loved, DISquality MUST be hated You say <<< Intellectual honesty is not to lie. >>>; I would say <<< Honesty is not to lie. >>> … Other cases show that there is “”””lack of Intellectual Honesty””””Following
- Albert Manfredi added an answer:What is your opinion about QoS enhancement in cognitive networks?What is your opinion about QoS enhancement in cognitive networks?
In which fields and in what ways is it best to use QoS enhancement in cognitive networks (forecasting traffic)?I'm thinking the two topics are orthogonal, perhaps. QoS techniques should be just as applicable to cognitive networks as they are to any network, as long as the opportunistic channel is available, of course.Following
- José António Gomes Navio de Queiroz added an answer:Can someone suggest how 3d printing can be taught to freshers?Recently 3d printing has captured a lot of attention. There seems to be many
application possibilities. I was wondering how a simple interesting project or lab exercise could be introduced at u.g level in windows 7 using open source software. I would welcome any open downloadable articles on this topic.I had rapid prototyping class last semester, the project was very simple: design a car for the Shell Eco-Marathon Urban Concept competition. Of course we had to follow the competition's rules and design guidelines, which is good to settle an equal evaluation criteria for everyone.Following
- S G Deshmukh added an answer:Is there any improvement possible in engineering/technical students by the use of multiple choice questions in an exam?While taking exams of Engineering/Technical students, which method will be suitable? Either Descriptive Quiestions or Multi Choice questions?A good method will be a combination of both - multiple choice questions as well as small open ended questions to test the problem solving abilities of engineering students.Following
- Ramanan Lakshminarayanan added an answer:How to involve bachelor level engineering students in research?Obviously, it is possible to suggest research articles and foster group discussions. Conducting interviews and some lab activities are among the popular ones.I had few Under-grad students from MS Ramiah and RV College at Bangalore India... To kindle research Interests, I have guided them to review literature and guided them to write an article during their 2nd/3rd Year BTecch... that helped them pick-up lots of interests in analysing reasons and before their final year each one them had min 3 papers including reprints in IEEE Scholar... Not only that they also guided their friends / peers... all of them are doing their MS in US / Europe.
So, kindle interests in students by facilitating them in literature survey and guide them to write few review articles.Following
- Wederley Miranda added an answer:Can somebody send me questionnaires or weblinks for surveying engineering students regarding teaching processes and students' satisfaction?I wish to to know the understanding, knowledge and satisfaction levels of students after a teacher has taught a class. At the end of the semester, a teacher should get feedback which provides insight into how to modify their approach so that students get the maximum from their teaching efforts. After all, this is the the sole aim of education.These are good examples of educational surveys, that you can adapt to engineering students:
A complete set of templates is available at
- Rick D. Johnson added an answer:What are your thoughts on open access journals?Please provide your thoughts on open access journals and publishing in these types of journals.I believe these are needed. They provide a great way for new researchers to get into the business of publishing and learning more about what it takes to get into this area of research.Following
- Ljubomir Jacić added an answer:How should departments plan when their best faculty retire and the current financial situation does not allow quick replacement?How can highly-rated departments remain competitive?@Andras, conscientious individuals and responsible government, in a word STATE, care about the quality of education! We see that sometimes, quite often,in the Ministry of Education are "working and decide" mediocre! What do you think?Following
- Ian Kennedy added an answer:Is it possible to present a PhD thesis without an advisor?I am about to start some independent work, without an academic advisor. The analysis I made so far seems positive. The contribution, should it work in practice, would be interesting but not astonishing.
I am asking your counseling about how would I present the final work in order to get the PhD (or DEng, or whatever) degree.
Are universities open to this kind of endeavour? Or would I be required to go through the complete process (credits, advisor, etc)?
Another concern of mine is how and where I can publish the paper when I am not affiliated to a particular academic institution?
Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.It has been said that the purpose of a supervisor is to fight the system for you! Do you really want to do that all by yourself? Who are you going to turn to for advice?
A good supervisor will give you as much freedom as you need, so do not be afraid of losing your independence.Following
- Shaher Rababeh added an answer:What research exists on the society sustainability in construction projects?Increasing the use of social sustainability in the decision-making process of construction projects requires that it be defined such that it can be evaluated objectively.Social Sustainability Considerations during Planning and Design: Framework of Processes for Construction Projects in Journal of Construction Engineering and Management Volume 139, Issue 1 (January 2013) by Rodolfo Valdes-Vasquez, Ph.D., Aff.M.ASCE1; and Leidy E. Klotz, Ph.D., M.ASCE2.
This article will provide you with a tool for the social sustainability in construction projects.Following
- Lutz von Wangenheim added an answer:Does the current flow through a capacitor, and if so, why?I have asked this fundamental question, since we have frequently come across it in the discussions about the RC phase shift, RC oscillations and Barkhausen criterion:
In my opinion, both the AC and DC current can flow through a capacitor, but this is just an illusion that can be explained in a more general (nonelectrical) way."no charges pass through the capacitor but the effect is passed."
Yes - and this effect is called "displacement current" as already mentioned in earlier contributions.Following
- Suman Debnath added an answer:Can one suggest a good book/notes to teach second order non linear differential equation with constant coefficients to undergraduate students?I am teaching 2nd order non linear differential equations for chemical engineering students. Can one help to get more solved problems on 2nd order nonlinear differential equations.Dear Sir, I belongs to electrical background. I refer This two books for solving ODE (solve ODE using MATLAB). There are many problems with solution on these books.
1.Circuit Analysis II with MATLAB® Applications by Steven T. Karris , Orchard Publications www.orchardpublications.com
2.ELECTRONICS and CIRCUIT ANALYSIS using MATLAB, JOHN O. ATTIA, CRC Press ,Boca Raton London New York Washington, D.C.
- Ramiz Assaf added an answer:I just transferred as an Economics major, but is there a way to transition into Industrial Engineering? I know it's too late to change my major.Should I do a Masters in Industrial Engineering? I know it's pretty hard to get in with a non-engineering undergraduate degree. I have done my research on IE and to me it would have been the perfect major. I started out as an Architect major back in CC and somehow ended up in economics. What I like about IE is the mix of science/engineering and management. Any suggestions?In few words, If you want to continue your higher education in Industrial Engineering, suggest you go in the domain of Engineering Economics and Finance. What the other colleagues have said is right as well, you need to work on your prerequisites. I would suggest focusing on Applied Statistics and Optimization.Following
- Tomy Patzelt added an answer:How can we improve the quality of engineers graduating from universities across the developing countries, specifically India?I have been recruiting students for our various telecommunication projects and we faced a lot of issues during the induction process.According my experience, it doesnt depend on quality of schooling that much, but on ability and the willingnes to learn. School can provide just theoretical foundation, handling real current telco equipment is something quite different. Usually it simply means to go through the whole manual and try one function after another. And then move to another. :-)))))))
When I started to work as PABX designer my boss told me: "It will take you three years to learn it, but then you will be able to do work not possible to everybody!". It turned out he was both wrong and right. He was wrong because I learned PABX in a few months. But it took me more time to learn all connected stuff (legal requirements, standards, grounding, in-house wiring, power-supply design etc.
Thus, there is no easy way how to do it, only hard way and not everybody is willing or even able to take this way.
And this has nothing to do with developed or dveloping countries. If you look on ITU Academy web pages, you'll find the difference between workshops (4-5 days usually) and trainings (one month, one issue per week and on-line test in the end of every week).Following
- Sylvia Hammond asked a question:What research exists on the implementation of skills development in the construction sector?Internships Learnerships trades & ABET literacy & numeracy. Skills development programmes leading to qualifications take time, but the construction sector is characterised by short term contracts and sub-contracting - how is this being reconciled?Following
- Wederley Miranda added an answer:How can the evaluation be more effective in engineering education other than written exams and assignments?Currently, engineering students are evaluated mainly through written exams. The total number of students is too high to have individual attention if we try to evaluate them to individual exercises. How could we grade the students effectively?Certainly group projects are a good way, especially when they are taken in different ways, like lab session reports, seminars and research projects. If you propose interdisciplinary projects, involving a couple subjects (or courses), you can evaluate how the student is learning each of them and how to apply them simultaneously in the same project or challenge.Following
- Yogananda Jeppu added an answer:What should be the course contents for application-based control education for undergraduate computer science students?I am currently developing a 14-week course for computer science undergraduate students that focuses more on the application of control systems and the design and implementation of simple controllers using microcontrollers. The ability to simulate such controllers using Matlab is thought to be essential as well. Can you recommend the core topics needed in order to develop such course? Assumptions are that students have basic knowledge on 1) computer science and engineering mathematics; 2) basics on signals and systems, and 3) basics on microcontroller system design.We had a 21 day workshop on embedded control systems at our company for a group of students who had finished 2 years of engineering. They learnt sensors, filters, PID controller tuning and did a hands on Matlab/Simulink, Labview, and aurdino boards. They enjoyed it and learnt a few things. As an exercise I had given them a sealed plant model. They had to analyze and design a controller for this.Following
About Engineering Education
Engineering education is the activity of teaching knowledge and principles related to the professional practice of engineering.