[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Although some Japanese Galerina species poisonings manifest as gastrointestinal symptoms followed by late-onset hepatorenal failure (phalloides syndrome), the toxin responsible for this has not been determined. CASE REPORT: We report a 6-year-old boy who developed characteristic cholera-like diarrhea and late-onset severe hepatic deterioration after eating mushrooms, later identified as a Galerina species, most likely Galerina fasciculata. A residual mushroom revealed alpha-amanitin. This account is the first known reported case of poisoning by Japanese Galerina species where an amatoxin was demonstrated to be responsible for the toxicity.
Journal of toxicology. Clinical toxicology 02/2001; 39(4):413-6.