ABSTRACT: To assess the clinical outcome of breast cancer patients with immediate autologous breast reconstruction and post-mastectomy radiotherapy (PMRT) as primary treatment.
Twenty-five women with breast cancer treated with immediate autologous breast reconstruction and post-mastectomy radiotherapy as primary treatment between 1995 and 2001 in Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital of Hong Kong were retrospectively studied. Radiation doses of 50 Gy (in 2 Gy daily fraction) were given to the reconstructed breasts, except one who was given 45 Gy (in 1.8 Gy daily fraction). Nine women (36%) were treated without bolus, whereas the other 16 women (64%) were treated with 0.5 cm thick bolus on alternate days. The main outcome measures include local control, treatment complications and cosmetic outcome.
Median follow-up was 3.7 years (range: 1.0-6.6 years). Two women (8%), who were treated without bolus, developed chest wall recurrences. The overall 5-year, actuarial, local failure-free rate and disease-specific survival rate were 89.8% and 77.9%, respectively. Apart from mild acute skin reactions, no significant acute radiotherapy side-effects were observed. No flap necrosis or flap loss was seen. The cosmesis of the reconstructed breasts were rated as good to excellent in 85% of the surviving patients. There was no observed adverse effect on cosmesis by adding bolus on alternate days.
PMRT after immediate autologous tissue-flap breast reconstruction is well tolerated and is not associated with increased incidence of complications. Adding 0.5 cm bolus on alternate days might improve local control without causing adverse cosmetic effect. The concern of adverse effects of radiotherapy should not exclude the choice of immediate breast reconstruction in suitable patients.
Clinical Oncology 07/2004; 16(4):283-9. · 2.07 Impact Factor