Maria Kaltsa

National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athínai, Attica, Greece

Are you Maria Kaltsa?

Claim your profile

Publications (4)3.84 Total impact

  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: This study assessed the presence of specific antibodies for coeliac disease in outpatients suffering from eating disorders before and after nutritional intervention. We also evaluated whether those patients should undergo regular screening for coeliac disease. The sample consisted of 154 patients with a mean age of 16.7 years - ranging from one to 19-years-of age - suffering from eating disorders. Serology screening for coeliac disease and total immunoglobulin A (IgA) levels was evaluated in the 154 children before the nutritional intervention and in 104 patients after the intervention. The patients consumed an adequate amount of gluten in both phases. Post-intervention evaluation revealed that 92 patients (88.5%) achieved a normal body weight, while the remaining 12 (11.5%) became obese. Postprandial abdominal discomfort and pain were resolved. The serology tests were negative in all patients, before and after intervention. None displayed IgA deficiency. To the best of our knowledge, this was the first prospective study where patients underwent a screening serology for coeliac disease before and after nutritional intervention. No indication of the coexistence of eating disorders and coeliac disease was documented and the patients in our study were unlikely to require regular screening for coeliac disease. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
    Acta paediatrica (Oslo, Norway: 1992). Supplement 02/2015; DOI:10.1111/apa.12985
  • Ioanna Sitaridou, Maria Kaltsa
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Efforts to impose linguistic uniformity have resulted in significant loss of dialectal variation in Greece thus rendering Greek dialectal syntax difficult to study. The present article aims to shed light on an understudied area of Greek dialectal syntax, namely the organization of information structure in Pontic Greek. Through empirical work, it is argued that [contrast] is an autonomous structural notion (in line with 0495 and 0265) in Pontic Greek rather than a sub-feature of Focus, as traditionally held for Standard Modern Greek. In particular, is claimed that Pontic Greek (i) employs a rich particle system to express contrast; (b) CLLD does not have the same pragmatic import as in Standard Modern Greek, and; (c) “pa”-phrases are almost exclusively associated with a non-exhaustive reading, whereas focus movement is always associated with an exhaustive one; (d) information focus is obligatorily in the left periphery. On the basis of our findings we argue that there is evidence in favour of a Contrast projection in the CP domain.
    Lingua 07/2014; 146:1–27. DOI:10.1016/j.lingua.2014.04.005 · 0.71 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Kawasaki disease is a systemic vasculitis of unknown etiology, presenting typically in infants and young children. We report a rare case of incomplete Kawasaki disease in a 15-month-old male infant presenting with symptoms mimicking retropharyngeal abscess and intermittent fever.
    The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 12/2011; 31(4):417-8. DOI:10.1097/INF.0b013e3182447a6c · 3.14 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Hereditary tyrosinaemia type 1 (HT1) is caused by an enzymatic defect in tyrosine metabolism. It is an autosomal recessive disorder and affects both sexes equally. In young infants HT1 can present as severe liver involvement and in older infants as liver failure and renal tubular dysfunction together with growth failure and rickets. The authors report the case of a 5-month-old, previously healthy, male infant who presented with Escherichia coli sepsis and severe coagulopathy due to liver dysfunction. Despite the early diagnosis of HT1 and treatment with 2-(2-nitro-4-trifluoromethylbenzoyl)-1, 3-cyclohexanedione (NTBC), the patient died from severe coagulopathy and multi-organ failure.
    Case Reports 12/2010; 2010. DOI:10.1136/bcr.07.2010.3150

Publication Stats

8 Citations
3.84 Total Impact Points

Institutions

  • 2015
    • National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
      • Department of Medicine
      Athínai, Attica, Greece
  • 2014
    • Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
      • Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
      Saloníki, Central Macedonia, Greece
  • 2011
    • Harokopion University of Athens
      Athínai, Attica, Greece