P Meineri

Università degli Studi di Torino, Torino, Piedmont, Italy

Are you P Meineri?

Claim your profile

Publications (11)33.56 Total impact

  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) has been proposed as symptomatic treatment of dysphagia in patients with ALS. Safety and factors related to survival after PEG were analyzed in 50 consecutive ALS patients. No major acute or long-term complications were observed. Stabilization or increase in weight were observed after PEG. Median survival after PEG was 185 days, with a worse outcome in patients with weight loss > or =10% healthy body weight and forced vital capacity <65%. PEG may be a useful option in the symptomatic treatment of dysphagia in ALS.
    Neurology 10/1999; 53(5):1123-5. DOI:10.1212/WNL.53.5.1123 · 8.29 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To assess the prognosis of the Guillain-Barre syndrome and identify the main prognostic indicators, 297 patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome recruited through a network of Italian centres were followed up for 24 months or until clinical recovery, whichever was earliest. For each patient the time to plateau, improvement, clinical recovery, or death was calculated, and prognostic indicators (age, sex, antecedent events, disability at admission and nadir electrophysiological patterns) and treatments were noted. The mean duration of follow-up was 309 days. During this period, 212 patients (71%) recovered, 48 (16%) had residua and 33 (11%) died. The mean times to nadir improvement and clinical recovery were 12, 28 and 200 days. Using life-tables and survival curves, the cumulative probability of achieving the plateau of symptoms was 73% by 1 week and 98% by 4 weeks. Improvement started during the first week in 36% of cases and within 4 weeks in 85%. The rates of clinical recovery at 1 and 4 weeks, 6, 12 and 24 months were 4, 24, 57, 70 and 82%, respectively. The chance of recovery was significantly affected by age, antecedent gastroenteritis, disability, electrophysiological signs of axonopathy, latency to nadir and duration of active disease. The main treatments did not seem to affect the chance of recovery.
    Brain 12/1996; 119:2053-2061. DOI:10.1093/brain/119.6.2053 · 9.20 Impact Factor
  • A Chió · P Meineri · A Tribolo · D Schiffer
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A case-control study of risk factors in 512 cases of motor neuron disease (MND) and 512 controls, affected by other neurological diseases, was performed. Clinical history showed a significant increase in gastric ulcer and mechanical injuries among MND cases, whereas the frequencies of operations, poliomyelitis, malignancies and autoimmune diseases were similar for cases and controls. The women affected by MND had a later menarche and an earlier menopause; therefore, the reproductive period was significantly shorter, supporting a possible role of sexual hormones in the pathogenesis of MND. The analysis of occupations showed an increased number of farmers and also of subjects exposed to chemical products among MND cases.
    Neuroepidemiology 02/1991; 10(4):174-84. DOI:10.1159/000110267 · 2.56 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Incidence and prevalence rates of motor neuron disease in two Italian provinces (Asti and Cuneo, Piedmont region) in the period 1971 through 1985 were estimated. The data were homogeneous in the investigated area, but an increasing incidence of the disease during the period studied was found, particularly in older age groups and in females. An increasing trend in mean age of onset of symptoms was also found.Copyright © 1989 S. Karger AG, Basel
    Neuroepidemiology 01/1989; 8(2):79-86. DOI:10.1159/000110169 · 2.56 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Leukocyte glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) was studied in 29 patients affected by progressive cerebellar ataxia (PCA) and in 20 healthy controls. Eight GDH-deficient patients, with GDH activity 2 SD below mean value of controls, were identified. GDH deficiency did not identify a subgroup of PCA by characteristic pattern of inheritance and/or age of onset of disease. However, the GDH-deficient patients presented more neurological signs than non-GDH-deficient patients. A significant correlation was observed between GDH deficiency and the presence of extrapyramidal signs, supranuclear palsy, absence of osteotendineal reflexes and neurogenic electromyographical findings.
    Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 12/1988; 78(5):394-400. DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0404.1988.tb03675.x · 2.40 Impact Factor
  • A Chiò · F Brignolio · P Meineri · M G Rosso · A Tribolo · D Schiffer
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Eight cases of malignancies with concurrent motor neuron disease (MND), derived from an unselected population representing all cases of MND diagnosed during a 15-year period in two Italian provinces, were studied to verify the existence of paraneoplastic forms of the disease. No statistically significant association between the two diseases was found. Therefore, from our findings the occurrence of a neoplasm in a patient affected by MND can be considered a chance association.
    Journal of Neurology 08/1988; 235(6):374-5. DOI:10.1007/BF00314238 · 3.38 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: 60 cases of chronic spinal muscular atrophy (CSMA) were followed-up for a period varying from 5 to 40 years. The neuromuscular impairment was evaluated by Norris' ALS score, both at the time of last examination and retrospectively at the time of diagnosis. Age at onset of symptoms was the most important factor in the progression of the neuromuscular damage. Monomelic or asymmetric location of symptoms at the time of diagnosis and duration of the disease were not significantly correlated to the worsening of ALS score.
    The Italian Journal of Neurological Sciences 03/1988; 9(1):47-51. DOI:10.1007/BF02334407
  • P Meineri · F Brignolio · A Chiò · D Mittino · A Tribolo · D Schiffer
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Eighteen cases of post-poliomyelitic motor neuron disease (PPMND) were found in a series of 869 subjects affected by motor neuron disease (MND). The mean age of onset of acute anterior poliomyelitis (AAP) was 43.6 months. The mean age of onset of MND was 45.9 years. No case had a bulbar onset and hyperreflexia was found in only 2 subjects, one of them having also bilateral extensor plantar response. The survival curve showed a better course of these cases, compared to typical MND (TMND). The present study seems to indicate that PPMND and TMND are different diseases.
    European Neurology 02/1988; 28(4):177-80. DOI:10.1159/000116261 · 1.36 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A clinical, genetic and epidemiological study of hereditary motor and sensory neuropathies (HMSN) was performed in the province of Turin, Italy. The patients were allocated to 5 groups, according to genetic and electroneurographic features. The high proportion of males among recessive and sporadic cases in the present series may suggest the existence of a recessive X-linked form of the disease. The crude prevalence rate was 3.18 (+/- 0.72)/100.000 population for all cases. The slow progression rate and the frequently mild symptoms of the disease, already suggested in literature, are confirmed by the analysis of the survival curves of the cases.
    The Italian Journal of Neurological Sciences 09/1987; 8(4):369-74. DOI:10.1007/BF02335741
  • A Chio · F Brignolio · P Meineri · D Schiffer
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Twenty-seven cases of hereditary amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), belonging to 8 families, are reported. The analysis of the pedigrees suggests an autosomal dominant transmission, apparently with incomplete penetration. The mean age at onset of symptoms was 50.3 (SD 12.4) years. The mean duration of the disease was 31.2 (SD 20.4) months, ranging from 9 to 86. The median survival time was 24 months. The degree of variation of some quantitative characters, both within and among families, was statistically analyzed. The results support the hypothesis of a phenotypic and genetic heterogeneity of autosomal dominant transmitted ALS.
    Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 05/1987; 75(4):277-82. DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0404.1987.tb07933.x · 2.40 Impact Factor
  • F Brignolio · M Leone · A Tribolo · M G Rosso · P Meineri · D Schiffer
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A descriptive epidemiological survey of hereditary ataxias and spastic paraplegias was conducted in the province of Torino, Italy (2,327 996 inhabitants). On prevalence day (31 December 1982) 142 patients were alive. Total prevalence was 6.1 cases/100,000 inhabitants (95% confidence limits = 5.1-7.0). The prevalence rate was 2.6 for recessive or sporadic juvenile ataxias, 1.3 for spastic paraplegias, 1.2 for autosomal dominant cerebellar ataxias, and 1.1 for late onset cerebellar ataxias. The prevalence of hereditary ataxias is similar in our province to that recorded in other populations, but hereditary spastic paraplegias are less frequent than in other populations.
    The Italian Journal of Neurological Sciences 09/1986; 7(4):431-5. DOI:10.1007/BF02283021