A Frau

Consorcio Hospitalario Provincial de Castellón, Castellón, Valencia, Spain

Are you A Frau?

Claim your profile

Publications (3)15.26 Total impact

  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A prospective randomized clinical trial was implemented to assess whether the concomitant or the sequential addition of tamoxifen to chemotherapy provides improved clinical benefit in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancer in postmenopausal patients. Four-hundred and eighty-five patients with node-positive operable disease were randomized to receive tamoxifen (20 mg/day) concomitantly (CON) or sequentially (SEQ) to EC chemotherapy (epirubicin 75 mg/m(2) + cyclophosphamide 600 mg/m(2) on day 1, every 21 days for four cycles). In the 474 fully evaluable patients there were 96 events; eight being second neoplasms and 88 being related to the breast cancer. Of these, 48 of 88 occurred in the CON arm and 40 of 88 in the SEQ arm. The Kaplan-Meier estimation of disease-free survival (DFS) at 5 years was 70% in the CON and 75% in the SEQ group (log-rank test, P = 0.43). Adjusted hazard ratio for treatment was 1.11 (95% confidence interval 0.71-1.73; P = 0.64). This study fails to show an advantage of one treatment arm over the other, but a trend, albeit non-significant, appears to favor the sequential addition of tamoxifen to epirubicin + cyclophosphamide and, as such, warrants further investigation.
    Annals of Oncology 02/2004; 15(1):79-87. · 7.38 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: This study compared the efficacy and safety of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) monotherapy to that of 5-FU combined with natural human interferon-beta (IFN-beta) in patients with unresectable, advanced colorectal carcinoma. Forty-nine chemotherapy-naive patients were randomized to 5-FU alone or to the combination. All patients received 750 mg m(-2) day(-1) 5-FU for 5 days by continuous intravenous (i.v.) infusion, followed after day 15 by a weekly i.v. bolus of 750 mg m(-2). IFN-beta was injected intramuscularly three times weekly at 9 M IU. Treatment continued for 52 weeks, or until disease progression or intolerable toxicity. Clinical endpoints were tumor response, time to progression, survival and toxicity. The addition of IFN-3 to 5-FU significantly improved response rate (33.3% vs 4.5% for evaluable patients; P = 0.021), time to progression (median 7.2 vs 4.2 months; P = 0.0435), and survival time (median 15.9 vs 7.2 months; P = 0.038) without significantly increasing toxicity compared to 5-FU alone. Cumulative 5-FU dose was higher with combined therapy (P < 0.001): more patients receiving monotherapy discontinued treatment because of disease progression. Fever was more frequent with combined therapy (P = 0.008); there were no other differences in toxicity. The only grade IV toxicity observed was neutropenia (two patients per group). A randomized phase III trial has been initiated to confirm the synergy between 5-FU and IFN-beta.
    British Journal of Cancer 05/1999; 80(5-6):786-91. · 5.08 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Forty-six patients were included in a phase II study to evaluate the response rate and toxicity of a combination of ifosfamide and vinorelbine in metastatic breast cancer patients previously treated with one or more regimens of chemotherapy. Treatment consisted of ifosfamide 1.6 g/m(2) IV days 1-3 (with mesna) and vinorelbine 25 mg/m(2) IV days 1 and 8, every 3 weeks up to 6 cycles. The median age was 55 years (range 40-76), the World Health Organization (WHO) performance status was 0-1 in 93% of the patients and 2 in the remaining 7%. In all, 43% had received two or more previous lines of chemotherapy, and 91% had been treated with anthracyclines. Forty-four patients were evaluable for response, and all patients for toxicity. The overall response rate was 36.4% [95% confidence interval (CI) 22.4-52.2]. Stabilization was observed in 20.4% and progression in 43.2%. The median time to progression was 25 weeks (95% CI 14-36). Median relative dose intensity (=actual received dose intensity/planned dose intensity) was 0.99 for ifosfamide and 0. 80 for vinorelbine. The main toxicity was hematological, with 63% of the patients experiencing grade 3-4 neutropenia. With a moderate toxicity, this is an active regimen that may be taken into consideration in pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients when further chemotherapy is indicated.
    Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 02/1999; 44 Suppl:S5-8. · 2.80 Impact Factor