Z Albashaireh

Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Irbid, Jordan

Are you Z Albashaireh?

Claim your profile

Publications (2)0.92 Total impact

  • A A Hamasha, Z Albashaireh
    [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The purpose of this study was to assess the periodontal treatment needs of 6th-grade Jordanian pupils aged 12 years old. Forty-eight classes teaching 6th-grade pupils were randomly selected from the six education zones in Irbid region, Jordan. The data were collected during interviews and clinical examinations using the Community Periodontal Index of Treatment Needs (CPITN) criteria. The findings revealed that 27.5% of the examined pupils had healthy periodontium, 22.9% showed gingival bleeding on probing but no calculus, and 31.4% had calculus deposits. Pockets in the 4-5 mm range were found in 17.6% and those in the>6 mm range in 0.6% of the pupils. Healthy periodontium was found in 2.9 sextants, whereas 2.7 sextants showed gingival bleeding and calculus. Periodontal pockets were demonstrated in less than 0.4 sextants. Periodontal therapy was not required for 27.5% of the pupils. The rest of the pupils (72.5%), however, needed oral hygiene improvement, and of these 50% required professional calculus removal. This study indicated that about 73% of the sample needed oral hygiene instructions and motivation, 50% needed professional scaling, and 0.6% needed periodontal therapy. The data of this study establish a baseline data, which may help in planning dental services and initiating further research.
    International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 06/2006; 16(3):181-5. · 0.92 Impact Factor
  • Z Albashaireh, A al-Hadi Hamasha
    [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The purpose of this study was to determine the caries experience of 12-13-year-old 6th grade students in Jordan. A total of 694 students were selected randomly from a list of schools teaching 6th grade students in Irbid, Jordan. The data were collected by interview and clinical examination performed by two examiners. Dental examinations were done by using dental mirrors and probes under artificial light in classrooms and the diagnosis of dental caries was made by the criteria recommended by the World Health Organisation (1987). On average students had 24.4 sound teeth, 2.3 decayed teeth (D), 0.05 missing teeth (M) and 0.16 filled teeth (F). The mean DMFT index was 2.51. The D represents 92% of the DMF cases. Of the students examined 188 were caries free (27.1%). Of the 19,432 permanent teeth examined the highest frequency of dental caries (61%) and fillings (77%) was found in first molars, and these were the most commonly missing teeth (67%). Second molars and second premolars had the second and third highest frequencies respectively, whereas incisors and canines were the least affected teeth (< 2%).
    SADJ: journal of the South African Dental Association = tydskrif van die Suid-Afrikaanse Tandheelkundige Vereniging 03/2002; 57(3):89-91.