Jennifer Riparini

Azienda Ospedaliera San Paolo - Polo Universitario, Milano, Lombardy, Italy

Are you Jennifer Riparini?

Claim your profile

Publications (6)21.03 Total impact

  • Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 09/2014; 44(S1):183-184. DOI:10.1002/uog.13996 · 3.85 Impact Factor
  • 60th Annual Scientific Meeting of the; 03/2013
  • Source
    Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 09/2012; 40(S1). DOI:10.1002/uog.11501 · 3.85 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To evaluate rate and determinants of long-term recurrence of endometriosis in a population of young women. Retrospective cohort study. University tertiary care referral center for women with benign gynecologic diseases. Young women undergoing first-line conservative surgery for endometriosis were eligible for the study. Data on age at surgery, disease stage, anatomical characteristics of endometriotic lesions, and endometriosis-related symptoms were collected. After diagnosis, patients were treated according to the standard care of the center. The protocol required all women to be followed up 1 month after surgery, and every 6 months afterward, with an interview to investigate persistence of symptoms, a clinical examination, and an ultrasound pelvic assessment. Fifty-seven women aged ≤ 21 (mean age at diagnosis ± SD: 19.0 ± 1.1 years) entered the study. During a 5-year follow-up, 32 (56%, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 43%-68%) recurrences of endometriosis were diagnosed. A second laparoscopy to treat the recurrence was performed in 11 (34%) cases and confirmed the presence of the disease in all of them. In the remaining 21 (66%) cases, the recurrence was based on the reappearance of the symptoms or clinical or sonographic findings. The recurrence rate increased constantly with time from first surgery. No association emerged between recurrence rate and endometriosis-related symptoms, site/stage of the disease, type of surgery, and post-surgical medical treatment. The recurrence rate of endometriosis in young women appears higher than in older women. Since no determinants for recurrence have been detected among the factors examined, a profile of women at increased risk cannot be drawn.
    Journal of pediatric and adolescent gynecology 09/2011; 24(6):376-9. DOI:10.1016/j.jpag.2011.06.012 · 1.68 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The objective of the study was to compare length of stay, blood loss, operative time, and pain of laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy. This was a prospective, randomized, controlled comparison between vaginal (VH) and laparoscopic (LH) hysterectomy among 60 consecutive patients with a uterine volume of 300 mL or less and without uterine prolapse. Patients were followed up for 12 months. The groups were significantly different for mean operative time (VH: 81 +/- 30 minutes; LH: 99 +/- 25 minutes; P = .033) and blood loss (LH: 83 +/- 57 mL; VH: 178 +/- 149 mL; P = .004). Bilateral adnexectomy was performed when preoperatively planned in 73% of cases of the vaginal arm, whereas it was always performed in the laparoscopic arm (P = .045). Postoperative pain on day 0 and the number of days of analgesic request were higher in the vaginal group (P = .023 and P = .017, respectively). LH was associated with a reduced hospital stay (LH: 2.7 +/- 0.5 days; VH: 3.2 +/- 0.6 days; P < .001).There were no differences between the groups at the follow-up. Laparoscopic hysterectomy results in a shorter hospital stay, less blood loss, and less postoperative pain compared with vaginal hysterectomy.
    American journal of obstetrics and gynecology 02/2009; 200(4):368.e1-7. DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2008.09.016 · 4.70 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: This study was undertaken to determine the frequency of postsurgical ovarian failure in patients undergoing laparoscopic excision of bilateral endometriomas. Patients who had been operated on for bilateral ovarian endometriosis between January 1995 and December 2003 and who were younger than 40 years at the time of surgery were contacted by telephone and interviewed. A total of 126 patients were recruited. Mean +/- SD age of patients at the time of surgery was 30.4 +/- 4.3 years. Postsurgical ovarian failure was documented in 3 cases, corresponding to a rate of 2.4% (95% CI 0.5%-6.8%). In all cases, this complication occurred immediately after surgery. Patients who had been operated on for bilateral endometriomas have a low but definite risk of premature ovarian failure occurring immediately after surgery.
    American journal of obstetrics and gynecology 09/2006; 195(2):421-5. DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2006.03.064 · 4.70 Impact Factor