Are you J M Banus?

Claim your profile

Publications (4)22.72 Total impact

  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To determine the maximum-tolerated dose and the antitumor activity of a combination of paclitaxel, cisplatin, and gemcitabine in advanced transitional-cell carcinoma (TCC) of the urothelium. Patients with measurable, previously untreated, locally advanced or metastatic TCC and with Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status < or = 2 and creatinine clearance > or = 55 mL/min were eligible. Cisplatin was given on day 1 at a fixed dose of 70 mg/m(2). Paclitaxel and gemcitabine were given on days 1 and 8 at increasing dose levels. Cycles were repeated every 21 days to a maximum of six cycles. Sixty-one patients were registered. In phase I, 15 patients were entered at four different dose levels. Dose-limiting toxicity consisted of early onset (after the first cycle) grade 2 asthenia (two of six patients) and grade 3 asthenia (one of six patients) at dose level 4. A paclitaxel dose of 80 mg/m(2) and gemcitabine 1,000 mg/m(2) was recommended for phase II, and 46 additional patients were entered at this level for a total of 49 patients. Main nonhematologic toxicity was grade 2 asthenia in 18 patients, with early onset in five patients, and grade 3 in four patients. Grade 3/4 neutropenia and thrombocytopenia occurred in 27 (55%) and 11 (22%) patients, respectively. Overall, febrile neutropenia was seen in 11 patients, and one toxic death occurred because of neutropenic sepsis. The combination was active at all dose levels. In total, 58 of 61 eligible patients were assessable for response; 16 complete responses (27.6%) and 29 partial responses (50%) were observed for an overall response rate of 77.6% (95% confidence interval, 60% to 98%). The median survival time (MST) available for the phase I part of the study is 24.0 months. MST has not been reached for the whole group with the current follow-up. This combination of paclitaxel, cisplatin, and gemcitabine is feasible and highly active in patients with advanced TCC of the urothelium. Further evaluation of this regimen in patients with TCC is warranted.
    Journal of Clinical Oncology 09/2000; 18(18):3247-55. · 18.04 Impact Factor
  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Carboplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine (M-CAVI) is an active and well-tolerated regimen for bladder cancer patients ineligible for cisplatin-based regimens. We treated 47 T2-4 N0 M0 bladder cancer patients with M-CAVI in a neoadjuvant phase II trial. These 47 patients are evaluable for clinical response and toxicity. Clinical overall response rate was 34%, for a 95% confidence interval (CI95%) of 21-49%. Pathological response was seen in 40% of the patients (CI95%, 26-56%) with a 26.5% rate of pathological complete response (CI95%, 15-42%). Factors associated with the achievement of a response to therapy were the initial TNM stage (pT3a or lower, greater than pT3a, p = 0.001) and a Karnofsky score greater or equal than 90%, which was marginally significant (p = 0.08). With a median follow-up of 14 months, the disease-specific actuarial survival at 2 years is 42%. No patient has relapsed beyond 21 months of follow-up in a disease-free status. Toxic effects have been moderate. In conclusion, M-CAVI is an active and well-tolerated regimen that should be compared in terms of response rate and survival with a cisplatin-based regimen for invasive bladder cancer.
    American Journal of Clinical Oncology 09/1996; 19(4):344-8. · 2.55 Impact Factor
  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: We report the case of a 16-year-old patient with tuberous sclerosis that presented as renal leiomyosarcoma. This is an exceptional form of presentation of this tumor. An angiomyolipoma has to be first suspected in this group of patients. If the diagnosis is not confirmed by the imaging studies, radical surgery is recommended.
    Urologia Internationalis 02/1988; 43(1):62-4. · 1.07 Impact Factor
  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: We present herewith a case of Wilms' tumor in an adult patient. He underwent radical surgery, chemotherapy (adriamycin, actinomycin, vincristine and cyclophosphamide) and radiotherapy. He is alive and free of disease after 48 months of follow-up.
    Urologia Internationalis 02/1988; 43(6):349-51. · 1.07 Impact Factor