Are you P Chironis?

Claim your profile

Publications (1)1.98 Total impact

  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The management of glomus tympanicum tumors is not a new subject. A review of the contemporary management concept is, however, needed for two reasons: 1. the recent literature has suggested radiation therapy as a treatment option in this surgical disease, and 2. patients who are referred to us for management of these tumors continue to exhibit errors in diagnosis and surgical approaches that are unnecessarily radical. The purpose of this paper is to review the diagnosis of these lesions and to prospectively differentiate them from the more extensive jugulare tumors. When type and extent of the tumor are properly determined, a surgical procedure can be planned that conserves as much normal ear anatomy and function as possible. Between May 1970 and July 1988, 60 patients with glomus tympanicum tumors were treated at the Otology Group, P.C., in Nashville, Tennessee. In 47 patients (78%), the tumors were removed using an extended facial recess approach. The external auditory canal wall was removed in seven patients (12%), and six patients underwent a transcanal approach. Total tumor removal was obtained in 90% of patients. Surgical management remains the mainstay of treatment for glomus tympanicum tumors.
    The Laryngoscope 10/1989; 99(9):875-84. · 1.98 Impact Factor