[Show abstract][Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Carboplatin-containing regimens are sometimes preferred for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
Eighty-three patients with stage III-IV non-small cell lung cancer received 3 to 4 cycles of carboplatin AUC 5 on day 2 and gemcitabine 1250 mg/m2 on days 1 and 8 every 21 days.
The overall response rate was 43.4%. Results obtained from elderly and non-elderly groups were compared using the logrank method. Median overall survival and progression-free survival were 11 and 7 months, respectively (12 and 7 months, non-elderly group; 6.5 and 5 months, elderly group, P = 0.28 and 0.25 respectively). Grade 3-4 toxicity included neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia, nausea/vomiting, and diarrhea. Incidences of grade 3-4 toxicity were similar for elderly and non-elderly patients.
Data confirm that carboplatin-gemcitabine is an active and well-tolerated regimen in advanced non-small cell lung cancer and could be investigated in elderly patients.
[Show abstract][Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: In this study we evaluated the correlation with serum levels of CEA, MCA and CA 15.3 and response to treatment (tr) in 147 patients (pts) with ABC. Markers were determined before, during and after tr (hormono or chemotherapy). Cut off was: CEA = 5; MCA = 11; CA 15.3 = 30. Pre-treatment CEA was elevated in 51% of pts, MCA in 72% and CA 15.3 in 71%. In this subgroup of pts these markers were correlated to response to tr respectively: CEA in 75% of pts, MCA in 82% and CA 15.3 in 79%. We observed that CEA showed an inferior sensitivity to the other markers (51% vs 72% and 71%). We concluded that these markers can be useful to monitor the therapy in pts with elevated levels pretreatment. We believe interesting to determine them together pretreatment, because at least 1 of the 3 was elevated in 89% of pts.
European Journal of Cancer 11/1995; 31. DOI:10.1016/0959-8049(95)96509-C · 5.42 Impact Factor
[Show abstract][Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: In vitro and in vivo studies have shown that lonidamine potentiates the cytotoxic effect of anthracyclines in simultaneous and sequential combination. On the basis of such evidence, we evaluated the activity and toxicity of a combination of epirubicin plus lonidamine in advanced breast cancer.
Between January 1991 and November 1993, 33 patients with advanced breast cancer, age < 75 years and PS < 2, were treated with epirubicin (75 mg/m2 i.v. on day 1, every 3 weeks), plus lonidamine (450 mg/day orally from day 1 continuously until disease progression).
Thirty patients were evaluable for response: 4 achieved complete response (13%) and 8 partial response (27%) (total response rate = 40%), 6 (20%) had stabilization of disease, and 12 (40%) progression of disease. The median duration of response was 10 months (range, 4-24+ months). This scheme was tolerated, with a mild additional toxicity related to lonidamine: only WHO grade III myalgia in 1 patient (3%) and epigastralgia in 3 patients (9%).
Although some patients seem to have benefited from the combination at the dose levels of the drug used in the study, the therapeutic advantages of addition of lonidamine remain unclear.