[show abstract][hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The epidemiology of Chagas disease was studied in five rural communities located in the eastern region of the Panama Province. Serological tests for Trypanosoma cruzi infection revealed a prevalence of 5.88% (12/204). Hemocultures coupled with polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analysis showed a Trypanosoma rangeli infection rate of 5.88% (12/204). An overall trypanosome infection index of 11.76% (24/204) was detected in this population. A total of 121 triatomine specimens were collected in domestic and peridomestic habitats. Rhodnius pallescens was confirmed as the predominant species. Molecular analysis showed that 17.8% (13/73) of the examined insects were positive for T. cruzi, 17.8% (13/73) for T. rangeli, and 35.6% (26/73) presented mixed infections. Among 73 R. pallescens evaluated, 16.4% (12/73) contained opossum blood meals. The epidemiological implications of these findings are discussed.
The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene 04/2010; 82(4):580-2. · 2.53 Impact Factor
[show abstract][hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Chagas disease is the main cause of chronic myocardiopathy in Central America. The mechanisms proposed for this cardiac pathology during the chronic phase remain controversial. Several studies have detected the presence of circulating autoantibodies against beta-adrenergic and cholinergic muscarinic receptors of the myocardium in patients with Chagas disease. These autoantibodies can trigger intracellular signals and modify the cardiac function during the progression of the disease.
The serological frequency of these autoantibodies was compared among patients with chronic Chagas disease, patients with other cardiopathies and healthy controls.
The prevalence of autoantibodies against beta-adrenergic and cholinergic muscarinic receptors was determined in four groups of Panamenian patients: 53 chagasic patients, 25 serologically negative patients with cardiac insufficiency, 25 patients with cardiac arrhythmia and 25 healthy individuals.
The antibodies against autonomic receptors were more frequently observed in patients with chronic chagasic cardiomyopathy (24.5%) compared to the cardiac insufficiency group (20.0%) and the cardiac arrhythmia group (16.0%). The proportion of autoantibodies was significantly different between the groups with chronic chagasic cardiomyopathy and healthy controls (24.5% versus 0%; p = 0.015). Of the 53 chronically infected chagasic patients, 48 (90%) showed some degree of cardiac dysfunction.
The frequency of autoantibodies against autonomic receptors is significantly increased in patients with chronic Chagas disease and in patients with other cardiopathies.
Biomédica: revista del Instituto Nacional de Salud 03/2009; 29(1):133-9. · 0.32 Impact Factor