[Show abstract][Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: A Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex organism was isolated from a zoo resident rock hyrax (Procavia capensis) imported into Canada from South Africa. The strain was identified biochemically as Mycobacterium microti. The spoligotype pattern obtained for this isolate was found to be rare. This represents the first report of isolation and spoligotyping of M. microti in North America.
The Canadian veterinary journal. La revue veterinaire canadienne 11/2006; 47(10):1011-3. · 0.77 Impact Factor
[Show abstract][Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Spoligotyping was applied to 44 isolates of Mycobacterium bovis obtained from the Canadian province of Manitoba. Isolates were obtained from submissions of elk (n = 16), deer (n = 1), and cattle (n = 27) tissues spanning the period of 1990 to early 2003. Two spoligotype profiles were obtained differing only in the reaction with oligonucleotide number 12. Forty of the 44 isolates (90.9%) hybridized with oligonucleotide 12 (MB-1 type), while the remaining 4 of 44 (9.1%) did not show a signal at position 12 (MB-2 type). Octal codes for these 2 types are 656573377603600 and 656473377603600, respectively. These spoligotypes have not been reported as occurring elsewhere worldwide.
Canadian journal of veterinary research = Revue canadienne de recherche vétérinaire 05/2005; 69(2):143-5. · 1.19 Impact Factor