Papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas show distinctly different microarray expression profiles and can be distinguished by a minimum of five genes
ABSTRACT We have previously conducted independent microarray expression analyses of the two most common types of nonmedullary thyroid carcinoma, namely papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) and follicular thyroid carcinoma (FTC). In this study, we sought to combine our data sets to shed light on the similarities and differences between these tumor types.
Microarray data from six PTCs, nine FTCs, and 13 normal thyroid samples were normalized to remove interlaboratory variability and then analyzed by unsupervised clustering, t test, and by comparison of absolute and change calls. Expression changes in four genes not previously implicated in thyroid carcinogenesis were verified by reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction on these same samples, together with eight additional FTC tumors.
PTCs showed two distinct groups of genes that were either over- or underexpressed compared with normal thyroid, whereas the predominant changes in FTCs were of decreased expression. Five genes could collectively distinguish the two tumor types. PTCs showed overexpression of CITED1, claudin-10 (CLDN10), and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 6 (IGFBP6) but showed no change in expression of caveolin-1 (CAV1) or -2 (CAV2); conversely, FTCs did not express CLDN10 and had decreased expression of IGFBP6 and/or CAV1 and CAV2.
PTC and FTC show distinctive microarray expression profiles, suggesting that either they have different molecular origins or they diverge distinctly from a common origin. Furthermore, if verified in a larger series of tumors, these genes could, in combination with known tumor-specific chromosome translocations, form the basis of a valuable diagnostic tool.
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Thyroid nodules are present in 19%-67% of the population and carry a 5%-10% risk of malignancy. Unfortunately, fine-needle aspiration biopsies are indeterminate in 20%-30% of patients, often necessitating thyroid surgery for diagnosis. Numerous DNA microarray studies including a recently commercialized molecular classifier have helped to better distinguish benign from malignant thyroid nodules. Unfortunately, these assays often require probes for >100 genes, are expensive, and only available at a few laboratories. We sought to validate these DNA microarray assays at the protein level and determine whether simple and widely available immunohistochemical biomarkers alone could distinguish benign from malignant thyroid nodules.Journal of Surgical Research 03/2014; 190(2). DOI:10.1016/j.jss.2014.03.042 · 2.12 Impact Factor
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: We sought to determine the impact of histologic subtype on disease-specific survival (DSS) in cases of differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Adult patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) or follicular thyroid carcinoma (FTC) were identified from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Database for the years 1988 to 2003. The patients were grouped according to tumor type (PTC or FTC), and their age, gender, tumor size and extension, and nodal or distant metastases were recorded. The Kaplan-Meier method was used to compare DSS rates on the basis of histologic subtype. We identified 36,725 patients, of whom 77% were female and 23% were male; PTC was diagnosed in 91% of patients, and FTC in the remaining 9%. Patients with PTC were younger, were more likely to be female, and had smaller tumors with higher rates of regional metastases but fewer distant metastases than FTC patients (p < 0.0001 for all). When the cases were stratified by stage, FTC patients had a worse DSS than did PTC patients for all stages - except for stages III/IVA and IVC among patients more than 45 years of age. Follicular thyroid carcinoma portends a worse DSS than does PTC, even when the cases are controlled for stage. Consideration should be given to individual staging for these subtypes of differentiated thyroid carcinoma.The Annals of otology, rhinology, and laryngology 02/2014; 123(2):94-100. DOI:10.1177/0003489414523563 · 1.05 Impact Factor
African journal of pharmacy and pharmacology 07/2012; 6(28). DOI:10.5897/AJPP12.272 · 0.84 Impact Factor