(1) Identify clinical factors that can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with third-generation chemotherapy regimens, and (2) build a clinical model to predict survival in this patient population.
Using data from two randomized, phase III Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) trials (E5592/E1594), we performed univariate and multivariate stepwise Cox regression analyses to identify survival prognostic factors. We used 75% of randomly sampled data to build a prediction model for survival, and the remaining 25% of data to validate the model.
From 1993 to 1999, 1,436 patients with stage IV or IIIB NSCLC with effusion were treated with platinum-based doublets (involving either paclitaxel, docetaxel, or gemcitabine). The response rate and median survival time were 20% and 8.2 months, respectively. One- and 2-year survivals were 33% and 11%, respectively. In multivariate analysis, six independent poor prognostic factors were identified: skin metastasis (hazard ratio [HR], 1.88), lower performance status (ECOG 1 or 2; HR, 1.46), loss of appetite (HR, 1.62), liver metastasis (HR, 1.32), >/= four metastatic sites (HR, 1.20), and no prior surgery (HR, 1.16). A nomogram using six pretreatment prognostic factors was built to predict 1- and 2-year survival.
Six pretreatment factors can be used to predict survival in chemotherapy-naive NSCLC patients treated with standard chemotherapy. Using our prognostic nomogram, 1- and 2-year survival probability of NSCLC patients can be estimated before treatment. This prognostic model may help clinicians and patients in clinical decision making, as well as investigators in research planning.