Article

Tracheostomal fire during an elective tracheostomy.

Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC.
Chang Gung medical journal 04/2005; 28(3):186-90.
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Some surgeries, a tracheostomy and oral surgeries in particular, have a higher risk of fire. Often it can occur when leaking flammable gas contacts an ignition heat source. Fire during a tracheostomy can sometimes be seen to produce different degrees of insult to the patient. The essential components of a fire, i.e., the fuel source, ignition, and an oxidizer, can be avoided or blocked in order to prevent fires from occurring. Herein, we discuss a fire during a tracheotomy, and ways to avoid its occurrence, and how to stop once it gets started. This case demonstrates 2 important points regarding tracheostomies. First, extreme caution should be exercised when cautery is used in an approximately 100% oxygen gaseous condition, and second, immediate extubation is not absolutely necessary if a fire breaks out during a tracheostomy. The procedures which can be taken when facing this type of emergency are also considered and discussed.

Download full-text

Full-text

Available from: Chung-Feng Hwang, Jul 08, 2015
0 Followers
 · 
98 Views
  • Source
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Open tracheostomy is commonly performed during head and neck surgery, and in critically ill patients. Diathermy-induced airway fire during tracheotomy is rare but may have grave implications. Recommendations to minimize this risk are not always practical. We hypothesized that flooding the surgical field with carbon dioxide is an effective technique in preventing fire. We cut through the trachea of two pigs using diathermy while ventilating with pure oxygen five times with, and five times without, simultaneous flushing of the surgical field with carbon dioxide at 10 L/min. To increase the amount of oxygen in the airway and the likelihood of fire,we deliberately deflated the endotracheal cuff to simulate cuff rupture. Five times out of five, fire was induced when the diathermy cut through the tracheal wall with no carbon dioxide being used. Five times out of five, fire was not induced when carbon dioxide was used. The difference was significant (p < 0.008). Flooding the surgical site with carbon dioxide effectively prevents fire during open tracheostomy using diathermy.
    The Journal of trauma 08/2007; 63(1):228-31. DOI:10.1097/TA.0b013e31805f7011
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Flash fires, mucosal injuries and commissure burns during otolaryngology procedures have been largely attributed to anesthetic and surgical errors. Reports of direct electrosurgical device related events are rare. The discovery of thermal damage to the oral commissure during routine suction cautery adenoidectomy at our institution prompted a detailed investigation of the device's thermal properties. We complement this analysis with a review of electrocautery device related injuries reported in otolaryngology literature. FLIR Systems Thermovision A40 infrared camera was used to evaluate temperature changes along the electrosurgical wand of suction cautery devices. Shaft temperatures were measured at specific times of continuous use, distances along the shaft, and cautery settings. A literature search of electrocautery-associated injuries during upper aerodigestive procedure was then performed. Nine pediatric otolaryngologists were then interviewed for historical experience with electrocautery injuries. Temperatures exceeding 60 degrees C, and sufficient to cause thermal soft tissue damage, occurred along the suction cautery wand at a setting of 40 Watts (W). These temperatures traveled far enough to appose the oral commissure when the device was simultaneously in continuous use, in the fulgurate mode, and with the suction turned off. Literature review identified eleven articles specifically pertaining to electrosurgical injuries during routine oropharyngeal procedures. Flash fires and their associated burns were the most frequently reported complication. Conversely, seven of ten cases elicited from peer interviews were oral or commissure burns attributed to improper insulation of electrocautery devices. Inadvertent electrosurgical injuries during routine otolaryngology procedures can result from inadequate equipment insulation. Techniques to reduce the likelihood of these events are discussed.
    International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 08/2008; 72(7):1013-21. DOI:10.1016/j.ijporl.2008.03.006