Inflammatory bowel disease and preterm delivery. Int J Gyn Obs

Faculty of Health Services, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics (Impact Factor: 1.54). 09/2005; 90(3):193-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2005.06.003
Source: PubMed


The present study investigates pregnancy outcome in women with IBD and examines the effect of pregnancy on the severity of IBD.
A case-control study comparing deliveries by mothers with IBD between January 1988 and January 2005 was performed. For every birth by a mother with IBD, four births by non-IBD mothers were randomly selected and adjusted for ethnicity and year of delivery.
During the study period there were 48 deliveries to patients with Crohn's disease and 79 deliveries to patients with ulcerative colitis. Higher rates of preterm delivery (<37 weeks) were found among patients with IBD as compared to the controls (odds ratios (OR)=2.2; 95% confidence interval (CI)=1.3-3.8). This association remained significant after adjustment for labor induction and multiple gestations, using the Mantel-Haenszel technique (weighted OR=2.1; 95% CI 1.3-3.5 and weighted OR=2.0; 95% CI 1.2-3.5; P=0.012; respectively). In addition, these patients had higher rates of fertility treatments (OR=2.2; 95% CI=1.1-4.4). Using a multivariate analysis, controlling for maternal age and fertility treatments, preterm delivery was seen to be significantly associated with IBD (adjusted OR=2.0; 95% CI=1.2-3.5). Perinatal outcomes, such as perinatal mortality, low Apgar scores, and congenital malformations, were comparable to the outcomes in the control group.
Maternal IBD is an independent risk factor for preterm delivery. IBD is not associated with adverse perinatal outcome.

9 Reads
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: AN infertility rate of 14% was noted in Irish females with Crohn’s disease. One third of patients had a disease flare up during pregnancy and one third a flare up post partum. All exacerbations responded to medical therapy. There was an 88% chance of a normal live birth. There were no still births or congenital abnormalities. There was a 12% spontaneous abortion rate. There were no maternal deaths. Fertility may be improving in females with Crohn’s disease. Crohn’s disease is no contraindication to pregnancy. Pregnancy in Crohn’s disease is not an indication for therapeutic abortion.
    Irish Journal of Medical Science 02/1985; 154(2):59-60. DOI:10.1007/BF02937143 · 0.83 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: In the design of application specific integrated circuits (ASIC), it is often required to partition a logic complex into smaller subcomplexes satisfying a number of constraints. Due to the complexity of the problem, most existing algorithms try to optimize on only one constraint. In this paper, we use the concept of evolution to derive a partitioning algorithm capable of handling a number of constraints. Our algorithm provides a uniform multi-way partitioning scheme, obtains good partitions, and has a fast execution time.
    Design Automation, 1989. 26th Conference on; 07/1989
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A 32-year-old white Jewish woman was referred to our clinic in October 2002 for a second opinion on the management of her active extensive ulcerative colitis that did not respond to oral mesalazine (mesalamine) 3.6 g/day. The severity of symptoms had affected her plans to have children. Laboratory investigations, including perinuclear antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies and antibodies to Saccharomyces cerevisiae, stool cultures, and sigmoidoscopy to 40 cm from the rectum, with biopsies. Moderate-to-severe active extensive ulcerative colitis, unresponsive to mesalazine at 3.6 g/day. Oral mesalazine 4.8 g/day and 4 g mesalazine enemas nightly.
    Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology &#38 Hepatology 06/2006; 3(5):290-3. DOI:10.1038/ncpgasthep0475 · 5.33 Impact Factor
Show more