The evaluation of benign glottic lesions: rigid telescopic stroboscopy versus suspension microlaryngoscopy.
ABSTRACT Rigid telescopic strobo-video-laryngoscopy (RTS) is a primary clinical assessment methodology in the office evaluation of benign glottic lesions. However, diagnostic observations can be made only at the time of suspension microlaryngoscopy (SML). The records of 100 consecutive patients undergoing microlaryngoscopy for benign glottic lesions were retrospectively reviewed. Nine of 100 patients were found to have additional glottic lesions during SML. Sixteen additional lesions were noted in these nine patients. Fifteen of 16 lesions were sulci and/or mucosal bridges. Forty-five percent (4/9) of the patients with additional lesions underwent a management change intraoperatively. Three patients underwent additional surgical dissection, and one underwent less dissection than was planned. The discrepancy in diagnosis between rigid telescopic strobo-video-laryngoscopy and suspension microlaryngoscopy highlights certain key points: (1) During office endoscopy, tangential views of the medial surface of the glottis limit the diagnostic sensitivity. (2) Sulci and mucosal bridges are most subject to this limitation. (3) Informed consent should address the potential need for a change in intraoperative management. It is advisable to discuss the possibility for dissection in both vocal folds, even if a unilateral lesion is observed in the office. (4) Microlaryngoscopy is the final diagnostic step in the evaluation of glottic pathology. Meticulous inspection and palpation of the glottis are recommended during SML.
Journal of the American Dietetic Association 09/2011; 111(9). DOI:10.1016/j.jada.2011.06.215 · 3.92 Impact Factor
09/2013; 17(3):279-284. DOI:10.7162/S1809-97772013000300008
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The aim of this study is to prospectively compare rigid videolaryngostroboscopy with microlaryngoscopy for the diagnosis of benign vocal cord lesions. Eighty-five adult patients with benign vocal cord lesions were evaluated with videolaryngostroboscopy and later underwent microlaryngoscopy. During microlaryngoscopy, systematic examination of the glottis was conducted, including careful inspection and meticulous palpation of the vocal cords from anterior commissure to arytenoids. Preoperative and intraoperative diagnoses were analyzed. One hundred and forty-one lesions were diagnosed preoperatively with rigid videolaryngostroboscopy in 85 patients. Microlaryngoscopy revealed a total of 199 lesions in these patients, demonstrating a 41.1 % higher diagnostic yield. Forty-five (77.6 %) of the 58 additional lesions involved structural abnormalities, including sulcus vocalis, microwebs, vascular ectasia, mucosal bridges, and anterior web. The preoperative diagnosis was consistent with the postoperative diagnosis in only 29 patients (34.2 %). For the rest of the patients (n = 56, 65.8 %), the preoperative diagnosis was either changed, or new lesions were identified during microlaryngoscopy. Intraoperative diagnosis of benign vocal cord lesions differs significantly from preoperative diagnosis, regarding both the type and number of lesions present. A large proportion of patients diagnosed with videolaryngostroboscopy have additional lesions, particularly structural abnormalities. Precise inspection and palpation of vocal cords are thus essential during microlaryngoscopy.Archiv für Klinische und Experimentelle Ohren- Nasen- und Kehlkopfheilkunde 07/2014; 272(1). DOI:10.1007/s00405-014-3181-5 · 1.61 Impact Factor