Reviews in Pain
The online version of this article can be found at:
2009 3: 10Reviews in Pain
Vivek Mehta and Richard Langford
Acute Pain Management in Opioid Dependent Patients
On behalf of:
British Pain Society
can be found at:
Reviews in Pain
Additional services and information for
What is This?
- Oct 1, 2009Version of Record >>
by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 bjp.sagepub.combjp.sagepub.combjp.sagepub.combjp.sagepub.combjp.sagepub.combjp.sagepub.comDownloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from
1 4 vo l . 3 – n o. 2 – O c to b e r 2 0 0 9
rev i ew s i n pa i n
13. Mehta V, Langford RM. Acute pain management in opioid
dependent patients. Anaesthesia 2006; 61: 269-76.
14. Savage SR. Principles of pain treatment in the addicted patient.
In: Graham AW, Schultz TK (eds). Principles of Addiction
Medicine. 2nd edn. Chevy Chase, MD: American Society of
Addiction Medicine, Inc. 1998, 919-944.
15. Mehta V, Phillips JP, Wantman AC, Ratcliffe SH, van Raders
PA, Langford RM. Investigation of buprenorphine induced
respiratory depression in anaesthetised patients and its
reversibility. British J Anaesthesia 2005; 94: 399-400.
16. Mitra S, Sinatra RS. Perioperative management of acute pain in
the opioid-dependent patient. Anesthesiology 2004;101: 212-27.
17. Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Clinical Guideline for
the Use of Buprenorphine in the Treatment of Opioid Addiction.
Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 40. DHHS
publication no. (SMA) 04-3939. Rockville, MD: Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2004.
18. McCance-Katz EF. Office-based buprenorphine treatment for
opioid-dependent patients. Harv Rev Psychiatry 2004;12:321-
19. Fultz JM, Senay EC. Guidelines for the management of
hospitalized narcotics addicts. Ann Intern Med 1975;82:815-8.
20. Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. State Methadone
Treatment Guidelines. Treatment Improvement Protocol
(TIP) Series 1. DHHS publication no. (SMA) 93-1991.
Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
21. Alford DP, Compton P, Samet JH. Acute Pain Management for
Patients Receiving Maintenance Methadone or Buprenorphine
Therapy. Annals of Internal Medicine 2006;144: 127-34.
22. Kantor TG, Cantor R, Tom E. A study of hospitalized surgical
patients on methadone maintenance. Drug Alcohol Depend
23. Manfredi PL, Gonzales GR, Cheville AL, Kornick C, Payne
R. Methadone analgesia in cancer pain patients on chronic
methadone maintenance therapy. J Pain Symptom Manage
24. Fishman SM, Wilsey B, Mahajan G, Molina P. Methadone
reincarnated: novel clinical applications with related concerns.
Pain Med 2002; 3:339-48.