Article

Cardiac hemangioma of the right atrium

Department of Internal Medicine, Botucatu Medical School, Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), CEP18618-000, Botucatu, São Paulo, Brazil.
European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Imaging (Impact Factor: 2.65). 02/2008; 9(1):52-3. DOI: 10.1016/j.euje.2006.08.004
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Primary cardiac tumors are rare, with an incidence range between 0.001% and 0.030% at autopsy. Recent technical advances have facilitated diagnosis and surgical treatment of such lesions. Patients with a resectable tumor usually have a good prognosis, but patients with an unresectable tumor may have a poor prognosis. This report shows a case of right atrial hemangioma growing like an extracardiac mass, with cardiac tamponade the only clinical presentation.

Download full-text

Full-text

Available from: Silméia Garcia Zanati, Aug 28, 2015
0 Followers
 · 
135 Views
  • Seminars in Roentgenology 08/2008; 43(3):223-33. DOI:10.1053/j.ro.2008.02.007 · 1.18 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Primary cardiac tumor is a rare disease, with an incidence ranging from 0.001 to 0.03%. Eighty percent of them are benign tumors, and among them 70% are myxomas, the others are: fibroelastoma, rhabdomyoma, fibroma, angioma and lipoma. Primary malignant tumors of heart are in 95% of cases sarcomas, the remaining 5% are lymphomas. Cardiac's metastases are more frequent than primary tumors. Diagnosis is made by echocardiography TAC and MRI. Whereas surgery is indicated in patients with benign tumors, or localised sarcomas, chemotherapy in those with widespread disease and radiotherapy and chemotherapy in lymphoma. Prognosis is excellent in benign cardiac tumor. Mean survival for sarcomas is 11 months, and lymphoma 5 years.
    Revue de Pneumologie Clinique 02/2010; 66(1):95-103. · 0.19 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Cardiac haemangiomas are rare benign primitive tumors. We are reporting the case of a 67-year-old woman presenting with a haemangioma of the right atrium. This tumor was discovered by echocardiography because of cerebral strokes. The magnetic resonance imaging determined the characteristics of the tumor. It was completely resected through a right atrial approach. This was a round mobile mass, pediculed and implanted at the inferior area of the interatrial septum. The histopathological analysis revealed a cavernous haemangioma.
    Annales de cardiologie et d'angeiologie 01/2011; 60(3):173-5. · 0.30 Impact Factor
Show more