Fatal inhalation injury caused by airway fire during tracheostomy

University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland
Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica (Impact Factor: 2.32). 05/2007; 51(4):509-13. DOI: 10.1111/j.1399-6576.2007.01280.x
Source: PubMed


A 45-year-old man needed emergency tracheostomy and cranioplasty. He was intubated with a cuffed oral polyvinylchloride endotracheal tube and ventilated with 100% oxygen before tracheal incision. During opening of the trachea using diathermy, a popping sound was heard and flames originating from the tracheal incision were observed. The endotracheal tube was charred and its lumen had melted. Immediately after the incident, bronchofibroscopic examination revealed inhalation injury. After remaining for 8 weeks in hospital, the patient was transferred to a health care centre, where he was found dead in his bed.

Download full-text


Available from: Virve Koljonen, Oct 10, 2015
51 Reads
  • Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica 12/2007; 51(10):1406. DOI:10.1111/j.1399-6576.2007.01458.x · 2.32 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Flash fires, mucosal injuries and commissure burns during otolaryngology procedures have been largely attributed to anesthetic and surgical errors. Reports of direct electrosurgical device related events are rare. The discovery of thermal damage to the oral commissure during routine suction cautery adenoidectomy at our institution prompted a detailed investigation of the device's thermal properties. We complement this analysis with a review of electrocautery device related injuries reported in otolaryngology literature. FLIR Systems Thermovision A40 infrared camera was used to evaluate temperature changes along the electrosurgical wand of suction cautery devices. Shaft temperatures were measured at specific times of continuous use, distances along the shaft, and cautery settings. A literature search of electrocautery-associated injuries during upper aerodigestive procedure was then performed. Nine pediatric otolaryngologists were then interviewed for historical experience with electrocautery injuries. Temperatures exceeding 60 degrees C, and sufficient to cause thermal soft tissue damage, occurred along the suction cautery wand at a setting of 40 Watts (W). These temperatures traveled far enough to appose the oral commissure when the device was simultaneously in continuous use, in the fulgurate mode, and with the suction turned off. Literature review identified eleven articles specifically pertaining to electrosurgical injuries during routine oropharyngeal procedures. Flash fires and their associated burns were the most frequently reported complication. Conversely, seven of ten cases elicited from peer interviews were oral or commissure burns attributed to improper insulation of electrocautery devices. Inadvertent electrosurgical injuries during routine otolaryngology procedures can result from inadequate equipment insulation. Techniques to reduce the likelihood of these events are discussed.
    International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 08/2008; 72(7):1013-21. DOI:10.1016/j.ijporl.2008.03.006 · 1.19 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Endotracheal tube fire during surgery is a rare complication associated with carbon dioxide laser surgery and, less often, with electrocautery. We report a case in which tracheostomy was performed because of recurrence of a laryngeal tumor. During the procedure the endotracheal tube ignited when the lumen was opened with the electrocautery device.
    Revista espanola de anestesiologia y reanimacion 01/2009; 56(1):47–49. DOI:10.1016/S0034-9356(09)70320-2
Show more