Neurogenic tumors of the posterior mediastinum
Clinica de Chirurgie Toracica, Institutul Oncologic Prof. Dr. Alexandru Trestioreanu, U.M.E Carol Davila Bucureşti, România.Chirurgia (Bucharest, Romania: 1990) (Impact Factor: 0.78). 01/2011; 106(2):199-203.
The posterior mediastinum is the potential space along each side of the vertebral column and adjacent proximal portions of the ribs--the paravertebral sulci. From the posterior mediastinal tumors, the most commonly encountered are the neurogenic tumors (75%), the remaining 25% are represented by a heterogenous group of rare tumors including teratoma, lymphoma, sarcoma and other lesions arising outside the mediastinum and projecting into the posterior compartment. Surgical excision, by thoracotomy or miniinvasive techniques, is the first line of treatment in the posterior mediastinal tumors. Tumors with extension into the spinal canal (dumbbell tumors), accounting for nearly 10% of the posterior mediastinal tumors, require a multidisciplinary approach: thoracic surgeon and neurosurgeon. We present the experience of the "Carol Davila" University of Medicine and Pharmacy Thoracic Surgery Clinic in the surgery of neurogenic posterior mediastinal tumors throughout a 9 year period (2001 - 2010). 42 cases admitted and operated in this period are being analysed.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: A 54-year-old man was admitted to our hospital for left chest pain. Imaging studies (chest radiography, computed tomography, and magnetic nuclear resonance imaging) showed a well-defined left paraspinal mass with central necrosis (6 × 5 × 4 cm), located between T7 and T9. Urine levels of metanephrine and normetanephrine were within normal limits. The patient underwent a complete resection of the tumor through a posterolateral thoracotomy. Perioperative vital signs were normal. The diagnosis of paraganglioma was confirmed histologically. The patient was discharged on the 3rd postoperative day. Radiological imaging studies revealed no signs of recurrence during the 18-month postoperative follow-up.Tzu Chi Medical Journal 09/2013; 25(3):182–185. DOI:10.1016/j.tcmj.2013.03.007
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: This work describes clinical development of a sarcoma in the left axilla of a 36-year-old woman. The macroscopic picture changed from the initial inflammatory reddening to globular resistance of 2.5 cm, suggestive of an enlarged lymph node. Mammography did not reveal any associated breast disease. Colliquation found on the ultrasound images led to a biopsy, the result of which indicated only an inflammation, without any malignancy. Rapid growth of the axillar tumor to 10 cm in size within 8 weeks prompted surgery allowing proper diagnosis of a small mature-to-immature sarcoma. Special examinations performed by a histopathologist (at the Institute for Histopathology) could not establish the precise histogenesis, i.e. the tissue origin. Therefore it was necessary to remove any clinically obscuring tumor for the final proper histological diagnosis and adequate treatment of the patient.Prague medical report 10/2013; 114(3):191-196. DOI:10.14712/23362936.2014.23
Data provided are for informational purposes only. Although carefully collected, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The impact factor represents a rough estimation of the journal's impact factor and does not reflect the actual current impact factor. Publisher conditions are provided by RoMEO. Differing provisions from the publisher's actual policy or licence agreement may be applicable.