Article

Diagnosis of Hepatitis C Virus Infection by Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay and Reverse Transcriptase-Nested Polymerase Chain Reaction: A Comparative Evaluation

Department of Biochemistry, Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology Research Division, National Research Center, Dokki, Giza, Egypt.
International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Life (Impact Factor: 2.76). 06/2011; 63(6):430-4. DOI: 10.1002/iub.469
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Hepatitis C virus is one of the main causes of chronic hepatitis in developing countries. The current study was to evaluate the efficacy of the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay third generation (ELISA-3) for detection of antibodies to hepatitis C virus (anti-HCV) in comparison with reverse transcriptase-nested polymerase chain reaction (RT-nested PCR) to detect HCV RNA for the diagnosis of hepatitis C virus. Serum samples were collected from 151 chronic hepatitis C patients and 50 healthy individuals. All samples were tested for anti-HCV antibodies using ELISA-3 and HCV RNA by RT-nested PCR. Of the 151,120 (78.9%) were found to be seropositive by ELISA-3, and 148 (98%) patients were HCV RNA positive, 118 (78.1%) were positives for both, 30 (19.9%) were positive for ELISA-3 and negative for RT-PCR, and 2 cases (1.3%) were positive for RT-nested PCR and negative for ELISA-3. The sensitivity and the specificity for the detection of HCV were absolute when the two techniques were combined. In conclusion, ELISA-3 is a suitable assay for routine screening for anti-HCV. RT-nested PCR for HCV is a value for the early detection of viremic, anti-HCV negative cases; this may be of importance in treatment of hepatitis C.

0 Followers
 · 
108 Views
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Abstract.- Hepatitis C is one of the most common blood-borne diseases causing significant morbidity and mortality globally. This study was designed to evaluate any correlation between 3rd generations ELISA positivity foranti-HCV antibody plus elevated ALT levels with Real-time PCR based detection among various categories ofpatients attending Khyber Teaching Hospital Peshawar. Total 160 serum samples were collected from clinically HCVpositive individuals. All samples were tested for anti-HCV antibodies and HCV RNA using 3rd generation ELISA andreal time PCR. Our analysis of all 160 positive samples indicated that 158 (98.75%) had anti-HCV antibodies in theirsera (Male, 82; Female, 76), while 2 subjects (a male and a female) were negative for anti-HCV using third generation ELISA. Real-time PCR analysis further revealed that 100 subjects (62.5%) had active HCV infection while the remaining 60 (37.5%) subjects did not have HCV RNA in their sera. Our study indicates that seropositivity does notreveal the presence of active HCV infection as it may be due to the self-limiting nature of the disease or due to falsepositivity, which is often experienced in case of antibodies based detection
    Pakistan journal of zoology 12/2013; 45(6):1579-1584. · 0.40 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Hepatitis C is one of the most common blood-borne diseases causing significant morbidity and mortality globally. This study was designed to evaluate any correlation between 3rd generations ELISA positivity for anti-HCV antibody plus elevated ALT levels with Real-time PCR based detection among various categories of patients attending Khyber Teaching Hospital Peshawar. Total 160 serum samples were collected from clinically HCV positive individuals. All samples were tested for anti-HCV antibodies and HCV RNA using 3rd generation ELISA and real time PCR. Our analysis of all 160 positive samples indicated that 158 (98.75%) had anti-HCV antibodies in their sera (Male, 82; Female, 76), while 2 subjects (a male and a female) were negative for anti-HCV using third generation ELISA. Real-time PCR analysis further revealed that 100 subjects (62.5%) had active HCV infection while the remaining 60 (37.5%) subjects did not have HCV RNA in their sera. Our study indicates that seropositivity does not reveal the presence of active HCV infection as it may be due to the self-limiting nature of the disease or due to false positivity, which is often experienced in case of antibodies based detection.
    Pakistan journal of zoology 01/2013; 45(6):1579-1584. · 0.40 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Norovirus (NV) is a major viral pathogen that causes nonbacterial acute gastroenteritis and outbreaks of food-borne disease. The genotype of NV most frequently responsible for NV outbreaks is GII.4, which accounts for 60-80% of cases. Moreover, original and new NV variant types have been continuously emerging, and their emergence is related to the recent global increase in NV infection. In this study, we developed advanced primer sets (NKI-F/R/F2, NKII-F/R/R2) for the detection of NV, including the variant types. The new primer sets were compared with conventional primer sets (GI-F1/R1/F2, SRI-1/2/3, GII-F1/R1/F2, and SRII-1/2/3) to evaluate their efficiency when using clinical and environmental samples. Using reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and seminested PCR, NV GI and GII were detected in 91.7% (NKI-F/R/F2), 89.3% (NKII-F/R/R2), 54.2% (GI-F1/R1/F2), 52.5% (GII-F1/R1/F2), 25.0% (SRI-1/2/3), and 32.2% (SRII-1/2/3) of clinical and environmental specimens. Therefore, our primer sets perform better than conventional primer sets in the detection of emerged types of NV and could be used in the future for epidemiological diagnosis of infection with the virus.
    BioMed Research International 01/2015; 2015:103052. DOI:10.1155/2015/103052 · 2.71 Impact Factor

Full-text (2 Sources)

Download
28 Downloads
Available from
Nov 27, 2014