Article

Erythroid phenotypes associated with KLF1 mutations.

Haematologica (Impact Factor: 5.87). 05/2011; 96(5):635-8. DOI: 10.3324/haematol.2011.043265
Source: PubMed
0 Followers
 · 
154 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Beta-thalassemia is one of most common autosomal recessive disorders worldwide. In France, 5 to 10 new major or intermedia forms are diagnosed annually and the global prevalence is about 500 cases. Since 20 years and thanks to the generalization of iron chelator treatments, the life expectancy has dramatically increased. Nearly 90% of the β-thalassemic alleles are point mutations easily identified by Sanger sequencing or dedicated methods. The remaining 10% are deletions detectable by MLPA or CGH Array. The alpha-globin genotype is also essential in the exploration of beta-thalassemia because an alpha-thalassemia improves the clinical state whereas an alpha triplication worsens it. The additional genotyping of a few HbF inducer polymorphisms allows to predict the age of the first transfusion, thanks to a recent dedicated algorithm, making beta-thalassemia one of the first potential application of predictive medicine. Gene therapy, pre-implantatory diagnosis and new drugs (Sotatercept®, hepcidin-like molecules) have also recently contributed to make beta-thalassemia a main scientific topic again.
    Annales de biologie clinique 12/2014; 72(6):639-668. DOI:10.1684/abc.2014.1015 · 0.42 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The Krüppel-like factor 1 (KLF1) is an essential erythroid-specific transcription factor. Mutations in the human KLF1 gene have different phenotypic effects, ranging from increased Hb F levels to the disruption of erythropoiesis. Here, we screened 227 Iranian β-thalassemia (β-thal) patients for the presence of KLF1 mutations by using the single-strand conformational polymorphism (SSCP) approach. Our aim was to assess the potential effect of these mutations on the β-thal disease severity. After screening, two variants were found. One patient carried a potentially deleterious variant (Polyphen-2) in exon 2 (p.F182L). Another patient was homozygous for a previously unreported intronic variant (KLF1: c.911 + 84A > G). The patient with the p.F182L variant (KLF1: c.544T > C) had noticeably high Hb A2 levels (7.6%), consistent with the phenotypic effect of several previously characterized KLF1 mutations in the same exonic region. In addition, he had higher platelet counts (1,069,000/μL) compared to other patients in the cohort.
    Hemoglobin 01/2015; 39(1). DOI:10.3109/03630269.2014.991023 · 0.96 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Abstract Here we describe a Japanese patient with mild β-thalassemia (β-thal) with an intact β-globin gene but a new missense mutation of c.947G > A or p.C316Y in the erythroid Krüppel-Like Factor (KLF1) gene which is strongly associated with the expression of the β-globin gene. The association of the KLF1 mutation with β-thal, is here described. The p.C316Y mutation occurred at one of the cysteines that constitute the second zinc finger motif of KLF1, and would have changed the zinc finger conformation to impair the DNA binding properties or the promoter function of the β-globin gene. Our expression study found that the mutant KLF1 gene had a markedly negative effect on the β-globin gene expression, or 7.0% of that of its normal counterpart. A presumed heterozygous state, or equimolar presence of the mutant and normal KLF1s reduced the expression rate to 70.0% of the normal alone. This degree of the decrease may explain the very mild phenotype of the patient's β-thal. Furthermore, the patient's whole-exome analysis using next-generation sequencing revealed that the β-thal defect is caused by only this KLF1 gene mutation. The Hb A2 and Hb F levels that are frequently elevated in KLF1 mutations were elevated by 4.1 and 1.3%, respectively, in this case. The contribution to their elevation by KLF1: p.C316Y is uncertain.
    Hemoglobin 02/2015; DOI:10.3109/03630269.2015.1008702 · 0.96 Impact Factor

Full-text (2 Sources)

Download
22 Downloads
Available from
Jun 4, 2014