Article

Cardiovascular and Disease-Related Predictors of Depression in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 270, San Francisco, CA 94143-0920, USA.
Arthritis care & research 04/2011; 63(4):542-9. DOI: 10.1002/acr.20426
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Depression and cardiovascular disease are common and debilitating comorbidities associated with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). In this study, history of cardiovascular events, cardiovascular risk factors, and SLE disease-related factors were evaluated as longitudinal predictors of depression in a large cohort of patients with SLE.
Data were derived from 663 adult participants in the 2004-2008 Lupus Outcomes Study, who were followed for up to 5 annual interviews. Multivariate logistic regression analyses using generalized estimating equations were used to determine predictors of the development of increased depressive symptom severity over a 12-month period (Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale [CES-D] score of 23 or greater), yielding 2,224 paired observations. Predictors included sociodemographics, traditional cardiovascular risk factors (reported presence of heart disease, history of stroke or myocardial infarction, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes mellitus, obesity, smoking status, and family history), and SLE-specific risk factors (glucocorticoid use, renal involvement, disease duration, and disease activity).
The annual incidence of depression was 12% in this cohort. Multivariate predictors of new-onset depression included younger age (ages 20-39 years: odds ratio [OR] 2.3, 95% confidence interval [95% CI] 1.3-3.9; ages 40-59 years: OR 1.8, 95% CI 1.1-2.7), Hispanic/Latino ethnicity (OR 1.8, 95% CI 1.2-2.8), having some college education (OR 1.8, 95% CI 1.1-3.0), baseline CES-D score (OR per point 1.1, 95% CI 1.1-1.2), presence of diabetes mellitus (OR 1.8, 95% CI 1.1-2.8), and baseline SLE disease activity (OR 1.2, 95% CI 1.1-1.4).
These results suggest that, in addition to known sociodemographic factors, the presence of diabetes mellitus and SLE disease activity may play a role in the development of depression in SLE.

Full-text

Available from: Patricia P Katz, May 28, 2014
0 Followers
 · 
122 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a complex clinical syndrome, elements of which remain poorly understood. Although recognized over 140 years ago when Kaposi recorded the systemic nature and manifestations of the disease, CNS involvement represents one of the least understood aspects of SLE. This knowledge gap remains despite the fact that up to 75% of adults and children with SLE will, at some point over the course of the disease and to different extents, experience the various disabling effects of neuropsychiatric SLE (NPSLE). Indeed, after decades of research, our understanding of the underlying pathophysiology of NPSLE, in particular, remains limited. Numerous factors contribute to the immune dysfunction that occurs in SLE, including genetic, environmental and hormonal influences, and the contributory or predisposing components that lead to neurological tropism of disease in some patients have not been clearly demonstrated. Features of NPSLE pathogenesis that might be directly linked to clinical manifestations have been identified; however, the complexity and variety of NPSLE symptoms and the clinical overlap with other psychiatric disorders continue to make accurate diagnosis difficult and time-consuming. Thus, efforts to define biomarkers of NPSLE are needed to improve prediction of disease outcomes and guide treatment. In this article, we review the manifestation and pathogenesis of NPSLE, focusing on the features that might aid identification of potential biomarkers.
    Nature Reviews Neurology 09/2014; 10(10). DOI:10.1038/nrneurol.2014.148 · 14.10 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Cognitive dysfunction and cardiovascular disease are common and debilitating manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). In this study, we evaluated the relationship between cardiovascular events, traditional cardiovascular risk factors, and SLE-specific risk factors as predictors of cognitive dysfunction in a large cohort of participants with SLE. Subjects included 694 participants from the Lupus Outcomes Study (LOS), a longitudinal study of SLE outcomes based on an annual telephone survey querying demographic and clinical variables. The Hopkins Verbal Learning Test-Revised and the Controlled Oral Word Association Test were administered to assess cognitive function. Multiple logistic regression was used to identify cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction, stroke), traditional cardiovascular risk factors (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus, obesity, smoking), and SLE-specific risk factors (antiphospholipid antibodies [aPL], disease activity, disease duration) associated with cognitive impairment in year 7 of the LOS. The prevalence of cognitive impairment as measured by verbal memory and verbal fluency metrics was 15%. In adjusted multiple logistic regression analyses, aPL (odds ratio [OR] 2.10, 95% confidence interval [95% CI] 1.3-3.41), hypertension (OR 2.06, 95% CI 1.19-3.56), and a history of stroke (OR 2.27, 95% CI 1.16-4.43) were significantly associated with cognitive dysfunction. In additional analyses evaluating the association between these predictors and severity of cognitive impairment, stroke was significantly more prevalent in participants with severe impairment when compared to those with mild or moderate impairment (P = 0.036). These results suggest that the presence of aPL, hypertension, and stroke are key variables associated with cognitive impairment, which may aid in identification of patients at greatest risk.
    09/2012; 64(9):1328-33. DOI:10.1002/acr.21691
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Context: Overt hypo- and hyperthyroidism are associated with an increased risk of depression. Little is known about the effects of variation in thyroid function within the normal range on the risk of depression. Objective: The objective of the study was to examine the association between normal-range thyroid function and the risk of depression. Design, Setting, and Participants: This was a cohort study in 1503 Dutch men and women, aged 70.6 (7.3) years. At baseline, serum TSH, thyroperoxidase antibody levels, and depressive symptoms [Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D)] were assessed. A CES-D of 16 or greater is indicative of a depressive disorder. During follow-up (mean 8.0 y), participants were continuously monitored for the occurrence of incident depressive syndromes (n = 156). Results: Cross-sectionally, persons in the lowest TSH tertile (0.3-1.0 mU/L) had more depressive symptoms [CES-D score (mean): 7.95 vs 6.63, P = .014] as well as an increased risk of a CES-D of 16 or greater [10.7% vs 5.0%, odds ratio (95% confidence interval) 2.22 (1.18-4.17)], compared with persons in the highest normal range TSH tertile (1.6-4.0 mU/L). In the prospective analyses, persons in the lowest TSH tertile who were depression free at baseline had a higher risk of incident depressive syndromes [12.3% vs 7.6%, odds ratio (95% confidence interval) 1.85 (1.10-3.11)]. Thyroid autoimmunity (thyroperoxidase antibody positivity) was not associated with CES-D scores or incident depressive syndromes. Conclusions: Elderly persons with low-normal TSH levels have more concurrent depressive symptoms as well as a substantially increased risk of developing a depressive syndrome in the subsequent years. This study identifies low-normal TSH as an important risk factor for depression in the elderly.
    The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 02/2014; 99(4):jc20133589. DOI:10.1210/jc.2013-3589 · 6.31 Impact Factor