A rapidly increasing incidence of HIV and syphilis among men who have sex with men in a major city of China.
ABSTRACT The number of newly reported cases of HIV has significantly increased among men who have sex with men (MSM) in China over the past five years. Unfortunately, there have been few studies reporting incidence rates and related trends in MSM populations. This study addresses the lack of information on HIV incidence trends among MSM in Shenyang, Liaoning. Cross-sectional and prospective cohort studies implemented by our laboratory in 2006 found high prevalence and high incidence of HIV among MSM. . This study, a three-year prospective open cohort follow-up survey, examines trends in HIV prevalence and incidence of both HIV and syphilis infections among MSM in Shenyang, Liaoning.
SourceAvailable from: PubMed Central[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Objective. To investigate the prevalence of recreational drug use and its relationship with HIV infection among Chinese MSM. Methods. A cross-sectional study of 625 MSM was conducted in Shenyang, China. Questionnaires were administered to collect information on recreational drug use and sexual behaviors. Blood specimens were collected to test for HIV and syphilis antibodies. Results. Nearly a quarter (23.2%, 145/625) of participants reported ever using recreational drugs, among which alkyl nitrites (poppers) was the most frequently used drug (19.2%), followed by methylmorphine phosphate (5.1%), methamphetamine (4.0%), and ketamine (0.8%). The overall prevalence of HIV and syphilis was 9.6% and 10.4%, respectively. Multivariate logistic analysis showed that recreational drug use was significantly correlated with age ≤25 year (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 1.6, 95% CI, 1.1-2.9), single marital status (aOR = 2.1, 95% CI, 1.2-3.6), and seeking male sexual partners mainly through Internet (aOR = 1.8, 95% CI, 1.8-2.8). Recreational drug use was independently associated with an increased risk of HIV infection (aOR = 3.5, 95% CI, 2.0-6.2). Conclusions. Our study suggests that recreational drug use is popular among Chinese MSM and is associated with significantly increased HIV infection risk. HIV prevention intervention programs should reduce both drug use and risky sexual behaviors in this population.04/2014; 2014:725361. DOI:10.1155/2014/725361
JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 03/2014; 66(3). DOI:10.1097/QAI.0000000000000144 · 4.39 Impact Factor
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Introduction Scientific research has demonstrated the clinical benefits of earlier initiation of antiretroviral treatment (ART), and that ART can markedly reduce HIV transmission to sexual partners. Ensuring universal access to ART for those who need it has long been a core principle of the HIV response, and extending the benefits of ART to key populations is critical to increasing the impact of ART and the overall effectiveness of the HIV response. However, this can only be achieved through coordinated efforts to address political, social, legal and economic barriers that key populations face in accessing HIV services. Discussion Recent analyses show that HIV prevalence levels among key populations are far higher than among the general population, and they experience a range of biological and behavioural factors, and social, legal and economic barriers that increase their vulnerability to HIV and have resulted in alarmingly low ART coverage. World Health Organization 2014 consolidated guidance on HIV among key populations offers the potential for increased access to ART by key populations, following the same principles as for the general adult population. However, it should not be assumed that key populations will achieve greater access to ART unless stigma, discrimination and punitive laws, policies and practices that limit access to ART and other HIV interventions in many countries are addressed. Conclusions Rights-based approaches and investments in critical enablers, such as supportive legal and policy environments, are essential to enable wider access to ART and other HIV interventions for key populations. The primary objective of ART should always be to treat the person living with HIV; prevention is an important, additional benefit. ART should be provided only with informed consent. The preventive benefits of treatment must not be used as a pretext for failure to provide other necessary HIV programming for key populations, including comprehensive harm reduction and other prevention interventions tailored to meet the needs of key populations. An end to AIDS is only possible if we overcome the barriers of criminalization, stigma and discrimination that remain key drivers of the HIV epidemics among key populations.Journal of the International AIDS Society 07/2014; 17(1):19320. DOI:10.7448/IAS.17.1.19320 · 4.21 Impact Factor