Article

Incidence and prevention of osteoradionecrosis after dental extraction in irradiated patients: a systematic review.

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (Impact Factor: 1.52). 11/2010; 40(3):229-43. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijom.2010.10.005
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT This systematic review aims to identify and review the best available evidence to answer the clinical question 'What are the incidence and the factors influencing the development of osteoradionecrosis after tooth extraction in irradiated patients?'. A systematic review of published articles on post-irradiation extraction was performed via electronic search of the Medline, Ovid, Embase and Cochrane Library databases. Additional studies were identified by manual reference list search. Evaluation and critical appraisal were done in 3 stages by two independent reviewers and any disagreement was resolved by discussion with a third party. 19 articles were selected for the final analysis. The total incidence of osteoradionecrosis after tooth extraction in irradiated patients was 7%. When extractions were performed in conjunction with prophylactic hyperbaric oxygen, the incidence was 4% while extraction in conjunction with antibiotics gave an incidence of 6%. This systematic review found that while the incidence of osteoradionecrosis after post-irradiation tooth extractions is low, the extraction of mandibular teeth within the radiation field in patients who received a radiation dose higher than 60Gy represents the highest risk of developing osteoradionecrosis. Based on weak evidence, prophylactic hyperbaric oxygen is effective in reducing the risk of developing osteoradionecrosis after post-radiation extractions.

2 Bookmarks
 · 
140 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Aims To investigate the approach of restorative dentists towards the assessment and treatment planning of oral cancer patients in the UK.Material and methods The survey was conducted at the annual meeting of the Association of Consultants in Restorative Dentistry (ACSRD) and Specialist Registrar in Restorative Dentistry group (SRRDG) in September 2011. Delegates were requested to fill in a two-section questionnaire; the first section included 16 questions, evaluating cancer service provision in their units, and the second included five questions based on a clinical scenario evaluating dental management of a patient undergoing pre-radiotherapy treatment.Results Ninety-four questionnaires were distributed; 65 (69.1%) were returned. Thirty (46.1%) respondents were consultants, 27 (41.5%) were specialist registrars and the remaining 8 (12.3%) were either specialist practitioners or trust grade dentists working in the speciality of restorative dentistry. Forty-eight (73%) of the respondents worked in NHS posts and the remaining 17 (27%) worked in academic posts. A total of 50 (77%) respondents carried out clinical work which regularly included the dental assessment or treatment of head and neck (H&N) oncology patients, before or post radiotherapy. Among the respondents who were involved in the dental assessment of oncology patients, 32% of them did not have a protocol for review appointments in their units. Ninety-one percent of respondents said that they used dental implants for rehabilitation post cancer surgery and 80% also used implants either always or sometimes in irradiated bone. Answers to scenario questions highlighted that all the respondents would extract very poorly prognostic tooth (that is, root stumps) before radiotherapy, irrespective of it being at the side of the planned radiotherapy field. Fifty-eight percent of respondents preferred to extract a non-functional, heavily restored, non-carious, distal maxillary molar tooth which was not in the area of radiotherapy beam and the majority (84%) chose to carry out root canal treatment (RCT) of a functional premolar tooth if considered non vital.Conclusion This study highlights the variability in the approach of clinicians in dental and oral rehabilitation of patients undergoing radiotherapy treatment for oral cancer patients.
    British dental journal 06/2014; 216(12):E27. · 1.08 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Despite morbidity factors that include pain and complications with healing, there is currently little available guidance regarding optimal pre-and post-operative protocols for dental implant placement. While the first paper of this two-part series discussed the management of post-operative pain, the second instalment reviews pre- and post-operative means of managing early complications associated with dental implant placement.
    British dental journal 08/2014; 217(4):171-6. · 1.08 Impact Factor
  • Source
    Iranian Journal of Medical Hypotheses and Ideas 01/2014;