Retained surgical sponges: what the practicing clinician should know
ABSTRACT Retained surgical sponges (RSS) are an avoidable complication following surgical operations. RSS can elicit either an early exudative-type reaction or a late aseptic fibrous tissue reaction. They may remain asymptomatic for long time; when present, symptomatology varies substantially and includes septic complications (abscess formation, peritonitis) or fibrous reaction resulting in adhesion formation or fistulation into adjacent hollow organs or externally. Plain radiograph may be useful for the diagnosis; however, computed tomography is the method of choice to establish correct diagnosis preoperatively. Removal of RSS is always indicated to prevent further complications. This is usually accomplished by open surgery; rarely, endoscopic or laparoscopic removal may be successful. Prevention is of key importance to avoid not only morbidity and even mortality but also medicolegal consequences. Preventive measures include careful counting, use of sponges marked with a radiopaque marker, avoidance of use of small sponges during abdominal procedures, careful examination of the abdomen by the operating surgeon before closure, radiograph in the operating theater (either routinely or selectively), and recently, usage of barcode and radiofrequency identification technology.
SourceAvailable from: João Batista de Sousa[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The term "gossypiboma" refers to a textile matrix surrounded by foreign body reaction. Gauze and surgical dressings are the most commonly retained materials after laparotomy. To evaluate the incidence of abdominal gossypiboma, its causes and the preventive measures to reduce the frequence and morbimortality. Was conducted a literature review in Medline/Pubmed in english. The survey was about the last 10 years, selecting the headings: gossypiboma, textiloma, retained foreign body and abdominal surgery. Thirty articles were considered in this review. The incidence of gossypiboma is underreported, mostly due to the legal implications of their detection but also because many patients remain asymptomatic. Occur in 1/1000 to 1/1500 of intra-abdominal operations. Clinical presentation is variable, and depends on the location of the foreign body and on the type of inflammatory reaction presented by the host. The recommended course of treatment is excision, which can be accomplished endoscopically, laparoscopically, or via the open route, and seeks to prevent the complications that lead to a high mortality rate. The most important approach is prevention. Preventive measures required include exploration of the abdominal cavity at the end of the procedure, use of textiles with radiopaque markers and a meticulous account of surgical materials. Gossypiboma is a former medical-legal problem, whose incidence is apparently increasing. Therefore needs to be revised to take preventive measures in the operating room.06/2013; 26(2):140-3. DOI:10.1590/S0102-67202013000200015
Gynecological Surgery 01/2013; 10(4). DOI:10.1007/s10397-013-0789-1
Article: Thoracic textilomas: CT findings.[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The aim of this study was to analyze chest CT scans of patients with thoracic textiloma. This was a retrospective study of 16 patients (11 men and 5 women) with surgically confirmed thoracic textiloma. The chest CT scans of those patients were evaluated by two independent observers, and discordant results were resolved by consensus. The majority (62.5%) of the textilomas were caused by previous heart surgery. The most common symptoms were chest pain (in 68.75%) and cough (in 56.25%). In all cases, the main tomographic finding was a mass with regular contours and borders that were well-defined or partially defined. Half of the textilomas occurred in the right hemithorax and half occurred in the left. The majority (56.25%) were located in the lower third of the lung. The diameter of the mass was ≤ 10 cm in 10 cases (62.5%) and > 10 cm in the remaining 6 cases (37.5%). Most (81.25%) of the textilomas were heterogeneous in density, with signs of calcification, gas, radiopaque marker, or sponge-like material. Peripheral expansion of the mass was observed in 12 (92.3%) of the 13 patients in whom a contrast agent was used. Intraoperatively, pleural involvement was observed in 14 cases (87.5%) and pericardial involvement was observed in 2 (12.5%). It is important to recognize the main tomographic aspects of thoracic textilomas in order to include this possibility in the differential diagnosis of chest pain and cough in patients with a history of heart or thoracic surgery, thus promoting the early identification and treatment of this postoperative complication.Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia 10/2014; 40(5):535-42. DOI:10.1590/S1806-37132014000500010 · 1.27 Impact Factor