Port-access minimally invasive surgery for atrial septal defects: a 10-year single-center experience in 166 patients.
ABSTRACT We assessed the surgical results and the benefits to the patient of a minimally invasive surgical approach for atrial septal defects.
Between May 1998 and May 2008, 166 patients (median age, 44 years) had surgery for atrial septal defects in our institution. Of these patients, 118 (71%) had a patent foramen ovale (associated with atrial septal aneurysm in 48 cases), 33 (20%) had a wide ostium secundum defect, 6 (3.6%) had an ostium primum defect, 6 (3.6%) had a sinus venosus defect with abnormal pulmonary vein connection, and 1 (0.6%) had a coronary sinus defect. In 2 cases (1.2%) patients were referred to our department for surgical correction after failure of interventional occluder placement. All patients were operated on via a right minithoracotomy (mean incision, 5.5 + or - 1 cm) in the fourth intercostal space and under cardiopulmonary bypass.
The HeartPort access system was used in 106 patients (64%), with an endoaortic clamp (central kit in 50 cases and peripheral kit in 56). In the remaining patients (36%), we preferred the Portaclamp system (37 cases) or the Chitwood clamp (23 cases). Average crossclamp time was 38.4 + or - 22.2 minutes with a mean cardiopulmonary bypass time of 64.9 + or - 34.5 minutes. There was no conversion in classic sternotomy. There were no early or late hospital deaths. Surgical revision was performed in 6 patients for bleeding from the thoracic wall. The mean hospital stay was 5.8 days. At 51 months mean follow-up, 4 patients died of non-cardiac-related causes.
Port-access minimally invasive surgery for atrial septal defects is a safe, less-invasive, reproducible, and cosmetic operation, providing an excellent outcome and an effective correction, and could be now considered the standard approach for this type of patient.
Article: Off-pump occlusion of trans-thoracic minimal invasive surgery (OPOTTMIS) on simple congenital heart diseases (ASD, VSD and PDA) attached consecutive 210 cases report: a single institute experience.[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: This paper intends to report our experiences by using an operation of off-pump occlusion of trans-thoracic minimal invasive surgery (OPOTTMIS) on the treatment of consecutive 210 patients with simple congenital heart diseases (CHD) including atrial septal defect (ASD), ventricular septal defect (VSD) and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA). The retrospective clinical data of OPOTTMIS in our institute were collected and compared to other therapeutic measures adopted in the relevant literatures. After operation, all the patients received electrocardiography (ECG) and echocardiography (echo) once a month within the initial 3 months, and no less than once every 3 ~ 6 months later. The successful rate of the performed OPOTTMIS operation was 99.5%, the mortality and complication incidence within 72 hours were 0.5% and 4.8%, respectively. There were no major complications during peri-operation such as cardiac rupture, infective endocarditis, strokes, haemolysis and thrombosis. The post-operation follow-up outcomes by ECG and echo checks of 3 months to 5 years showed that there were no III° AVB, no obvious Occluder migration and device broken and no moderate cardiac valve regurgitation, except 1 VSD and 1 PDA with mild residual shunts, and 2 PDA with heart expansion after operation. However, all the patients' heart functions were in class I~II according to NYH standard. The OPOTTMIS is a safe, less complex, feasible and effective choice to selected simple CHD patients with some good advantages and favorable short-term efficacies.Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 01/2011; 6:48. · 1.19 Impact Factor